All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Passing of the Torch
PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 5:25 pm 
Duke

Cerydon sipped his ale slowly as he poured over the list of candidates before him. He had to squint to see the small print in the candlelight. Nearly a dozen familiar names; the best that Casadia had to offer. One of them would carry forth the standard of Casadia, and sooner rather than later. After a few moments of thought, he handed the parchment to Thalian, who was seated on the other side of the table.

“A fine collection of soldiers and leaders.” Thalian finished reading the names and set the parchment aside, “They all have their strengths, yet which strengths to choose?”

Cerydon took the parchment back and read over the list once more.

“You want a soldier. A diplomat. Someone who has traveled beyond Casadia. Someone with an understanding of our neighbors.” Cerydon nodded, and Thalian continued, “There is only one logical choice.”

Cerydon raised an eyebrow.

“Me.” Had Cerydon been one to chuckle, he would have. Instead, he met Thalian’s joke with a stern stare.

“You never did have a sense of humor.” Thalian chuckled for him, “Well if I am excluded, then you really do only have one option that fits all of your criteria.”

---

Reviewing supply lists had become Delon’s least favorite part of being Guardian of Ӧstea. He had found it interesting at first; the sheer scale of Casadia’s military logistics had awed him. Now, however, the endless ledgers of numbers had become a tedious burden on his patience. It was days like this that he yearned to be back on patrol, wandering through the wilds of the world.

There was a knock on the door and Delon thanked whatever gods there might be for sparing him from his task for a moment.

“Come in.” Delon beckoned to his visitor. The door creaked open and Geras walked in, parchment in hand.

“Ah, the supply ledgers. Your favorite.” Geras joked, seeing the books spread out on Delon’s desk.

“Please tell me you have come to spare me of this punishment.” Delon grumbled.

“As a matter of fact, I have.” Geras handed Delon the parchment, “You have been summoned to Ankylos.” Delon read the parchment carefully before setting it aside.

“The Master’s Council wants to meet with me at the Tower of Dawn.” Delon had a feeling he knew what they wanted.

“Maybe they will have you review their ledgers?” Geras laughed, “At least you will be spared this torture while you are on the road.”

“One thing to look forward to, I suppose.” Delon allowed himself a nervous smile.

---

The walls of Ankylos loomed before them, stretching out of sight in both directions. Beyond the wall, two massive towers reached up towards the clouds. Delon could see Cylus’ jaw drop a little. It was the first time that Cylus had left Ӧstea, and Delon had made sure to show him the many awesome sites along the road to the capital.

“If ever you wonder what our farms feed.” Delon turned to Cylus and gestured towards the city. Cylus was normally one to ask questions, but Delon could tell he was at a loss for words.

The pair rode through the gate, one of them in stunned silence. They were greeted by a pair of sentries who directed them to the Tower. Their horses were laboring as they climbed up the steep hill to the Tower of Dawn, but they eventually arrived at the foot of the tower. Even Delon was impressed as he gazed upwards.

“Delon of Ӧstea, the Council awaits you in their chamber.” One of the guards called, beckoning Delon into the confines of the tower. The pair dismounted and Cylus led the horses off to the stable. The guard led Delon up a set of winding stairs, emerging at the meeting chamber of the Master’s Council. Cerydon was sat at the end of the table, with the various Masters arrayed on either side. One seat was left open at the end of the table opposite the Guardian.

“Please be seated, Delon.” Cerydon gestured towards the empty chair. “We have much to discuss.”

---

Delon shifted nervously on the tower’s steps as he looked over the crowd. The courtyard in front of the Tower of Dawn was filled with denizens of the city anxious to witness the historic moment. Delon had never been one for pageantry, but he knew that this was as much a celebration for the Casadian people as it was for him.

“Good people of Casadia, of Ankylos.” A herald called out over the murmuring of the crowd and a hush fell over the gathered throng, “Today we mark the passing of the torch to a new leader of Casadia.” The statement was met with many cheers, but the crowd quieted once more as the Guardian stepped forward.

“Long have I been honored to lead our people.” Cerydon bellowed, “Tirelessly have I labored to keep our people safe, strong, and prosperous. Though I still have strength left in me, it is time for new fuel to be added to the fire.” Cerydon turned to Delon and indicated for him to step forward, “Delon has been a soldier since he became a man. He has fought Casadia’s enemies in all forms. He has battled the monsters of the darkness, he defeated the murderers who attacked the Arnum monastery, and he fought valiantly to free Ӧstlond from the tyrannical rule of the Order. He has served dutifully as Guardian of Ӧstea for six years and has been a friend to all people of its settlements. There is no better man to bear the mantle of Guardian.”

The crowd broke into a raucous cheer, with many assembled soldiers beating their spears and shields together. Delon waited patiently for the clamor to die down.

“My brothers and sisters, I promise to be a true servant to the Fire and to the people of Casadia. I hope to follow in the footsteps of those before me and lead us to a prosperous future. I swear that I shall fight for order and peace as long as I draw breath. I will not fail you.” All of the gathered applauded, and Delon let out a sigh of relief. He had commanded armies, but standing before the thousands gathered before him was another matter entirely. He allowed himself a small smile, taking in the cheers of the crowd. Cerydon had told him to enjoy this day. Soon, the real challenges would begin.

Post subject: Re: Passing of the Torch
PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 6:35 pm 
King

A momentous occasion. The Empire wishes the noble Delon all the best as Guardian of one of the key economic and united Realms within the Empire.

Post subject: Re: Passing of the Torch
PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 10:38 pm 
Duke

Delon's heroism in the recent war against tyranny and fanaticism gives the GRHH and, indeed, the Empire as a whole great confidence in Cerydon's choice. I look forward to working with the new leader of our closest neighbor and ally.