All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 6:30 pm 
Duke

Vokh Anthreri: the civilian reserves of the Casadian military. they are only called upon in times of dire need, such as an invasion. The majority of Casadian adults, both men and women, are part of the Vokh Anthreri. Members of these reserves typically train as a unit at least once every few months, allowing them to be more effective fighters than typical conscripts. Due to their high number, the Vokh Anthreri are not as well armed and armored as Casadia’s professional soldiers. Typical equipment includes studded leather or scale armor, a spear, shield, and an axe or short sword. Many also train as archers, trading their spear and shield for a longbow.

The Vokh Anthreri has three main divisions: the First, Second, and Third Guards. The First Guard are the most skilled warriors among the Vokh Anthreri and make up 10%-15% of its total levies. The First Guard are chosen based on skill displayed during training with the Second Guard and are the first to be called to arms when needed. The Second Guard makes up the bulk of the civilian levies at 60%-70% of the total. The Second Guard is composed of your average reserves that lack the skill and enthusiasm to be selected for the First Guard. The Second Guard is only called upon in times of dire conflict. The Third Guard is the last division of the Vokh Anthreri and is largely made up of young trainees and older reserves. Membership in the Third Guard is generally a temporary assignment until one has completed several rounds of training and has proven oneself capable of serving in the Second or First Guard. Since this unit is composed mostly of green soldiers and older warriors, it is not expected to be called upon, except to serve as an emergency garrison.

Istrateri: the professional component of the Casadian military. It consists of swordsmen, archers, pikemen, and lancers. Casadia’s professional army is relatively large compared to its population, due in large part to its warrior heritage and religious mission. When not training, the Istrateri assist in infrastructure projects, such as Casadia’s network of roads. Swordsmen and pikemen are typically armored in heavy mail or coat of plates, with steel helmets and greaves. Archers have lighter armor, usually studded leather or light mail, and a longbow. Casadia’s lancers wear heavy armor, usually a layer of scales over mail.

Altheri: Casadia’s secretive religious warriors. Future Altheri are selected from the strongest of Casadia’s youth and undergo years of intense training to become Casadia’s first line of defense against the forces of chaos. The Altheri generally take no part in politically motivated conflicts, instead focusing their energy on preparing for cataclysmic events such as the Fleeing of old. They are armed and armored with the finest weapons and armor Casadian’s can forge. When in battle, they often consume bloodfire, a powerful potion that grants near-endless energy and a high tolerance for pain.

Shields of Teleros: an elite unit based out of Teleros. During the lengthy disappearance of the Altheri, the Shields of Teleros emerged as Casadia’s premier fighting force. Numerous Guardians rose to prominence as members of the Shields of Teleros, including Arkelai and Thyrris. They train extensively in guerilla warfare, becoming experts in stealth and single combat. They are armored in studded leather or light mail, allowing for swift and noiseless movement.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 6:34 pm 

Nice writeup, glad to finally see this!

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 8:25 pm 
Duke

A nice summary of Casadias military. I'm currently writing a similar overview for Wychwood.

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: January 24th, 2017, 5:19 pm 
Duke

Added more information about the Vokh Anthreri.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2017, 10:18 pm 

This is something I've been meaning to figure out - where would the forces have Arnum fallen into this?

Östron society up until the founding of the Order was formed of just a tribe's forces, which I always assumed while they were living in other realms served as either a part of their militia, or "vassal" entities loyal to the realm that ruled the land. This could be different with Casadia, especially considering I've never bothered to write more on how they do integrate in other realms.

The Knights of the Order in Arnum, however, I assumed would have functioned almost like a mercenary force employed by the Guardian of Casadia, although not paid, just something they did to assist the government of Casadia/show that the Östron community the Casadians had annexed (I say lore wise that Arnum "existed" for some time before I built it) that they were loyal and willing to serve alongside Casadians.

Obviously the Knights no longer exist, so where do they get integrated as more highly trained members of the military capabilities of Arnum? They were equipped with very nice equipment, and that would not have been kept by the Order. Weapons and armor were items the Knights themselves would have been wealthy enough to have procured, either from Casadian or Östron sources in and around Arnum. I know you have been working on this some with your lore, and I'd love to hear more about how this relationship will work! I'd certainly never assume that Östrons in Arnum would be unwilling to integrate with the greater military force of the realm. That, and we always assumed there were Casadians in Arnum as well - that it wasn't an ethnically monolithic community.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2017, 11:11 pm 
Duke

Quote:
The Knights of the Order in Arnum, however, I assumed would have functioned almost like a mercenary force employed by the Guardian of Casadia, although not paid, just something they did to assist the government of Casadia/show that the Östron community the Casadians had annexed (I say lore wise that Arnum "existed" for some time before I built it) that they were loyal and willing to serve alongside Casadians.

That is pretty much how I considered it to be as well. The Knights were a separate unit from the local Istrateri, but still served under the command of the Guardian of Östea.

Quote:
Obviously the Knights no longer exist, so where do they get integrated as more highly trained members of the military capabilities of Arnum?

The role of the former Knights within Casadia is unlikely to change much, though their official title will change to the Knights of Arnum/Ernun. While the Knights of the Order have been disbanded, Casadia recognizes the cultural pride taken in the Knights among the Östron community and thus will allow them to continue to exist in a similar capacity as before. They will be able to maintain their original command structure, composition, and other quirks, while still serving under the command of the Guardian of Östea. Given their official independence from the Order, they will likely be offered increased funding and support from the Guardian.