All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 14th, 2016, 10:41 pm 

Aeries Rua wrote:
Oh you're right. But i was thinking of Halcyon Days. Regent used to use it and would always ask why people had fruit on their floor.

I'd love to see screenshots of that, haha.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2016, 11:29 pm 
Duke

Aeries Rua wrote:
Marks John Smith pack is fine being the recommended pack for the server, but I honestly dont know why everyone has a fetish for having everything look so dirty and crappy all the time.

^^^^^

Clearly, we should all use Paper Cut-Out, as it is quite clean and unpoopy.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2016, 11:33 pm 

The Chairman wrote:
Aeries Rua wrote:
Marks John Smith pack is fine being the recommended pack for the server, but I honestly dont know why everyone has a fetish for having everything look so dirty and crappy all the time.

^^^^^

Clearly, we should all use Paper Cut-Out, as it is quite clean and unpoopy.

Better than the default

PostPosted: July 14th, 2016, 11:47 pm 
King

Aeries Rua wrote:
Marks John Smith pack is fine being the recommended pack for the server, but I honestly dont know why everyone has a fetish for having everything look so dirty and crappy all the time. Also connected textures in john smith make all wooden slabs stacked on each other look like fruit baskets, and im not sure about anyone else, but that would turn half of my houses into fruit baskets.

Gotta agree with Aeries here. Personally, I see John Smith as a bit of a cop out. It turns people into lazy builders because, for the most part, all the dark, connected textures make crappy huts look ok. Obviously this isn't the case with everyone, but I always say that the reason I like default is because you need to work hard to make things look good. If it looks good in default, it will look good in every other pack. I'm not advocating for making default our "recommended pack," but maybe just not having one since not everyone builds in John Smith?

of River's End

PostPosted: July 14th, 2016, 11:51 pm 

King Arjen IV wrote:
Aeries Rua wrote:
Marks John Smith pack is fine being the recommended pack for the server, but I honestly dont know why everyone has a fetish for having everything look so dirty and crappy all the time. Also connected textures in john smith make all wooden slabs stacked on each other look like fruit baskets, and im not sure about anyone else, but that would turn half of my houses into fruit baskets.

Gotta agree with Aeries here. Personally, I see John Smith as a bit of a cop out. It turns people into lazy builders because, for the most part, all the dark, connected textures make crappy huts look ok. Obviously this isn't the case with everyone, but I always say that the reason I like default is because you need to work hard to make things look good. If it looks good in default, it will look good in every other pack. I'm not advocating for making default our "recommended pack," but maybe just not having one since not everyone builds in John Smith?

It's not a cop out, it's making it so you can actually use more than 4 blocks in building. It allows increased creativity. Crappy buildings still look crappy. Simple building still look simple. Most of all, it's not this un-nerving level of strange saturation like the default has.

Most importantly, even when using those 4 ok blocks in the default, it still looks like a fisher price toy set. It's awful.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2016, 12:04 am 
King

Mark Stefan wrote:
King Arjen IV wrote:
Aeries Rua wrote:

It's not a cop out, it's making it so you can actually use more than 4 blocks in building. It allows increased creativity. Crappy buildings still look crappy. Simple building still look simple. Most of all, it's not this un-nerving level of strange saturation like the default has.

Most importantly, even when using those 4 ok blocks in the default, it still looks like a fisher price toy set. It's awful.

All of what you described can be accomplished by other texture packs as well. Why should we limit people to one? When I go on other servers and they have a "recommended texture pack" it is usually because with all of the other packs, their builds look like shit. Like for WesterosCraft, if you don't use their texture pack (with many added and original textures) everything looks like a blob. We don't really have many original textures. Granted, it seems like you may be creating a pack with some. However, I don't think it's necessary for the enhancement of our server experience.

of River's End

PostPosted: July 15th, 2016, 12:29 am 

King Arjen IV wrote:

All of what you described can be accomplished by other texture packs as well. Why should we limit people to one? When I go on other servers and they have a "recommended texture pack" it is usually because with all of the other packs, their builds look like shit. Like for WesterosCraft, if you don't use their texture pack (with many added and original textures) everything looks like a blob. We don't really have many original textures. Granted, it seems like you may be creating a pack with some. However, I don't think it's necessary for the enhancement of our server experience.

No one is saying we should limit it to one. That's not what a recommendation is. I do think the OP was worded differently from what the conversation was in Mumble, however. I believe the idea was to have a texture pack that is offered for people to download when they join the server, or at least have one that the majority of the members of the server recommend to new people for them to use.

We have zero textures, besides paintings, that deviate from the default in color and overall look.

You don't think it's necessary, but that's because you're one of like 4 out of at least 20+ people that don't use some variation of JS.