All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: im sorry!
PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 11:27 pm 
King

I'm sorry for being so shitty.

I left for a few months because of personal stuff. Before that, I left because I was a total asshole. I try to justify it to myself by arguing it was a cry for help re: backend development for the server, but there is no justifying my asshoolary.

You all deserve deep felt apologies.

And now, I return earnestly and jump knee deep into discussions of law, history, lore, and more as I dig through the archives of the library. I found a small entry that defined the Regent's role a defending the traditions of the spirit of Hemertia, so I guess that emboldened me to play that role again. I failed you all, and those duties in the past. So surely many of you are reasonably annoyed that I have returned with an aura of entitlement to relive that responsibility.

'what an asshole! He been gone, and comes back talking about history, and emotionally defending interpretations of lore and history!? How dare he.'

If any of you feel this you have every right. I'm sorry and I'm sorry if I perpetuate this. Just know: I have nothing to gain in defending tradition. Ultimately my many devil advocate moments will piss lots of you off. Know I will always acquiesce to the community, Duke, and council will. But that won't stop me from trying to uphold my duty, even in the face of my terrible record doing this as of late. I'm a sworn devil's advocate, and I know I bother some doing this. Soooorrry.

But consider me a sometimes annoying but always dependably conservative voice, that will very often be wrong, but nonetheless cares deeply about all of you.

If you'll have me, I'll be honored to play my role. I missed all of you, and missed the history. I even missed the butting heads :)

Thanks for your patience with me.

Post subject: Re: im sorry!
PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 12:22 am 
Duke

<3 I've long forgiven you for any past slights, just how the world works man!

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 12:39 am 
King

You're a hell of a guy and a pillar of this long standing community.

You are a very capable and passionate man about these things and massively knowledgeable, being the devils advocate on issues is important as it keeps us on our toes to defend the points we make and to give stong reasons for them.

We love you Reginald Reglington III.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 12:48 am 
King

Glad to have another conservative voice among the ranks! During my active times, I've often tried to keep the conservative voice alive (even voting to keep the name serf when all other members of the council wished to change it to vassal;)). So, it's fantastic to have you back, partner!

of River's End

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 6:00 am 
King

Happy to have you back! You're an upstanding member of the community - I do look forward to once again engaging in our discussions of Hermertia's lore and history.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 2:07 pm 
King

Can is say, unabashedly, that no matter the turning seasons, I always think about my friends here. Some of us have like years and years (aka centuries!!) of experiences together. Does that make us officially fam? In my book it does! You're all the best.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 9:07 pm 
Duke

I’ll have you back, but not as the Regent of the Empire. I’ll have you back as a King and as a member of this community. Here’s the thing: you left suddenly, without warning and the community has spent over a year rebuilding and moving on. I think the community and I have largely forgiven you for your transgressions and understand why you did what you did; you had a massive amount of responsibilities and little to no help. Basically, we failed to step up to the plate, to do our fair share to maintain the website and server and I’m sorry about that.

But I don’t think it’s right for you to come back after a year and pick up the mantle of Regent of the Empire as if no time has passed, as if nothing happened. We may have forgiven you, but that does not mean there aren’t consequences for your actions: not criminal penalties or anything we discussed and formalized, but the natural outcomes of your misuse of third party programs and absence from the server. I think you lost your legitimacy as a (sort of) leader of the Empire and we’ve built something new to fill the vacuum.

Simply put, your relationship with and position in the community has changed. I think you should still be a staunch defender of tradition and a devil’s advocate, but should do so as King of Minerva, accepting personal responsibility for your arguments, and not say it is because of your position as Regent – a position that I think needs to be redefined somewhat and passed on to another person, whatever process that entails.

Again, I’m glad to have you back as a member of our community and I don’t want you to feel unwelcome. I’ve tried not to be too harsh and probably failed a bit, but I’ve also tried to be honest while wrestling with my thoughts and feelings about your return, so I apologize if this post is a bit of a mess.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 9:41 pm 
King

Oh, I was back several months ago. This is not the first of my reunion. I am not even a new regent since that return, with a lore explaining my absence as well as my return. Since that happened though, I lost access again, but that wasn't that long ago.

Although, unless the law changes, I am still, legally, the Regent :) Although I can't stop the community from changing laws/constitutions etc, so if you all want me to shut up being devil's advocate, you'll have to strip it from me formally >:) muahah

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 10:30 pm 
King

Oh! I should also clarify, I'm exaggerating a little re: the role of the regent. It's quite literally ceremonial. It bars me from too much influence parochially, am legally unable to run for emperor, limits me to representing conservative traditions, and is historical. Given I have no input over the server now technically, but have the oldest and perhaps strongest knowledge of the lore, my ability to be a symbolic voice of old is perhaps more balanced than ever. I am sworn to that symbolism :)

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 10:32 pm 
King

I understand your point Chairman, well put together post.

And Reginald, also fair point to Chairman's post. You never had any power beyond being a King since I can remember anyway.