All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: March 28th, 2016, 9:59 am 
Duke

Just a friendly reminder that there is etiquette and expectations when you are posting on the forums. As well, everything under the diplomatic court should be taken with respect and at least a moderate amount of seriousness. Posting in your respective threads and sub-forums is also something to be respected (e.g. only Kings posting in the Council of the Crowned). Despite certain things not being in the Idoles Carta quite yet, I would expect a level of decency regardless.

Now I know the last time I posted something like this it was received very poorly as a number of you thought I was censoring the forums. Though I will not be deleting any posts unless they go to the extremes of indecency. This is not to say that the forums are a no fun allowed zone, just please follow the rules and respect the proper threads.

Post subject: Re: Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: March 28th, 2016, 10:02 am 
Duke

I'm definitely in agreement here.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: March 28th, 2016, 9:53 pm 
King

Speaking of the Indoles Carta, it seems you guys are running with one that is absent a few sections? I can dig up the full text sometime if someone wants a dedicated page to it like we had before? Or we'll put it in the library?

PostPosted: March 28th, 2016, 10:27 pm 
King

Oh man, of all the documents we lost that maybe hit the hardest, at least in legal areas. We're slowly building it back up, but a backup version from whenever we drafted it the first time would be immensely appreciated by me anyways.

If you have the time to do that (no rush, I'm sure you have a lot on your plate Sir), I say we just paste it into a post in the Indoles Carta subforum for now and transition to the library when that gets up and running.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 28th, 2016, 10:29 pm 
King

Will do! It's buried in fancy php scripting because I believe we hosted it in the FAQ files for something like that. But i'll get right on pulling that out asap. Although, right now, bed time. Zzzzzzzz

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 3:35 am 
King

I agree with you as well Aeries. I have noticed that there were a few off topic comments recently is a fairly formal debate/discussion.

Regent - that would be awesome. We managed to hash out the verbiage for rank ascension, veto's, etc, but are still missing quite a big chunk of the information.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 1:46 pm 
Count

There often seems to be confusion as to what to write where, which goes beyond a lack of respect as it is not necessarily intentional. How can we clarify each thread's purpose?

Perhaps better define the process for certain actions, such as the introduction of a bill from the suggestion to the implementation? I know a flowchart might sound a bit far fetched, but they're used a lot in businesses because they work. I could make one.

Other than that, consolidating similar subforums could help as I believe less is more. For example, we still have a history subforum under Scholars, which could be integrated under Ministry of History. If not, then we should define exactly what each of these subforums' purpose is because to me, the difference is a bit hazy.

In any case, the library will help tremendously.

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 2:14 pm 
King

Yep.

The subforums under "Scholars and Mystics" are hazy because they were originally created to take the place of the library, but some are barely used while others are lacking a true purpose. The library will indeed help tremendously, thanks both to the Regent's files and your superb initiative in setting up a framework that we can transition to the library when it gets up and running :)

Processes such as the passing of a Bill are theoretically defined, but the lack of spelled-out rules leads to discussion happening in the wrong place some times. Discussion in some threads branching out beyond the scope of what the thread was created for is probably always going to be fact of forum discussion, but we all do our part to nudge discussion back on track when that happens.

Finally, legislation is currently being drafted to officially clarify the gentlemen's agreement/forum policy we've had for a while about the Council of the Crowned subforum being reserved for Kings/Queens, and the House of Dukes subforum being reserved for Dukes. If passed, we can do this through forum permissions.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 2:41 pm 
Count

I think one possible reason that serfs and counts including myself post in Parliament is that it is used to discuss and define proposed bills, no just vote on them.

While I perfectly understand and agree that I have no right to vote, I still want to be part of the discussion when changes are discussed. I am part of this community and it's changes affect me too. I want to share my thoughts, my suggestions and concerns until the bills are finalized.

If I understand well, Parliament is meant to be a place to vote on bills, the Imperial Court is meant to be a place to discuss the affairs of the Empire, such as proposed bills. As it is, Parliament is used to discuss propositions and so serfs and counts popping in to share their thoughts is to be expected. For serfs and counts to follow the process, it needs to be followed by dukes and kings in the first place.

This is part of what I meant by defining the process. The Elytra bill was still being discussed, it is not finished and so it's not ready for votes. Serfs and counts may not belong in the Parliament, but neither does this bill until it's ready for voting.

Laws dictate that counts cannot vote, and that's ok. But it doesn't say that we can share in the discussion leading to voting.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 3:08 pm 
Count

Ok I just read the proposal for making the Parliament a place to debate as well as vote. What would be the difference between the Imperial Court and the Parliament then?

The Imperial Court is a channel for international diplomacy, which to me means debating issues such as changes to laws, new laws, border expansions, creation of new realms, etc. I don't think we should prevent serfs from voicing opinions in legal debates, it's not like they do it a lot anyway. I think it would be more logical to keep legal discussion and debates in the Imperial Court, then to introduce finalized bills to the House of Dukes and Parliament for the votes.