All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 9:06 pm 
Count

In the chart, they are indeed placed under the authority of the Council of the Crown. Let me know if this should be changed.

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 9:41 pm 
King

I meant, there are no serfs under the Council of the Crowned directly, as they are constitutionally required to be under a Crown specifically. This was to prevent the Freehold Lord disaster (cough, Lenier) from the old Freehold System. Don't mind me though, I just happen to have a history with the server that goes way back so I'll chime in on things I remember from the past.

If the old system has not been changed, Barrawin (Caeser) goes under Minerva(Regent), and the other guy? I'm not sure who that is. Is it the other Minervan in the far northwest?

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 9:43 pm 
King

Well, sorry all. I misread Regent's point and ended up providing advice that contradicted his while saying I was agreeing with him, while I actually wasn't. Whoops.

Ok, this is tougher than appeared at first glance.

When serfs end up under an Inactive Crown, the thinking in putting them under the legal supervision of the Council was that they need some authority to turn to. We don't want a serf running amok in an Inactive King's lands, only for the King to return and wonder why the Council had no say in what the Serf was up to. This has never actually been an issue, mostly due to my earlier point of these mostly being inactive players - Caeser is, I think the only active Serf who was under an Inactive Crown and of course him being an upstanding member of the community there was never any need for the Council to intervene.

But this is the key: while these serfs are under the legal supervision of the Council of the Crowned, they are not under the legal jurisdiction of the Council. Caeser was still unambiguously a serf of Minerva while you were gone, and any serf who finds their Crown inactive will still be be a part of that Kingdom.

Unfortunately, this I suppose makes these players' positioning on the chart a tad more complicated - Caesar should be placed un the Regent now that he has been reactivated, but what of future cases? A dotted line seems somewhat messy. Bottom line: does this chart represent legal relationships or sovereign relationships?

Thoughts? Hopefully this makes sense and is logical.

EDIT: Just saw your reply. Hopefully this clears things up slightly; please let me know if we're still not on the same page.

Neofrontier is one of our friends from the Old World! Dang, what was that realm in teh north with the redstone? A-something? My mind is in a battle with me. She appeared briefly and I believe we allowed her independent settling status on account of her historical tie and rank. She disappeared again soon after.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 9:53 pm 
King

Oh this is a good policy! Great point. I only raised it because a serf without a direct crown will have a sense of claim for the land, which may a) be against the traditions of the community, b) give a false sense of entitlement in the event it hasn't been deserved, and c) they might take land from a king who comes back one day.

As such, I agree with your take on things! Cool work around. The dotted line works great?

NOTE: Caesar is amazing, he would be worthy on his own as a count under the council, but I more meant say a kingdom has a Tyrion like person, and one day the king is inactive. The community probably wants to minimize a Tyrion-like person's sense of entitlement?

Just brainstorming. Ya'll know better than I do given I was gone for so long.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 9:56 pm 
King

Yep, I think this makes sense.

The old-world realm with the crazy capital like a sundial? Dang, it's on the tip of my tongue.

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 10:00 pm 
King

Nicholas wrote:
Yep, I think this makes sense.

The old-world realm with the crazy capital like a sundial? Dang, it's on the tip of my tongue.

I believe the realm you are looking for is Alethia? My spelling might be incorrect, but they entered the Empire the same time that I did, so I remember those two well :D

of River's End

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 10:05 pm 
King

Alethia indeed! It was ruled by two sovereigns I believe, on of whom was neofrontier who came back for a short while, was given special independent status on account of her historical accomplishments, then left again.

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 10:16 pm 
King

OH! Right, the Alethians. I did get an email from her when I was in my absence. I was still salty about losing the library, so I rudely didn't reply. I should reach out to her! Ya, the historical accomplishments piece makes sense, she was here during the Freehold Lord era, and incidentally, was NOT purged during that fateful fateful fateful dreaded event. I forget, but I assume that meant she was ascended to Duke. We'd have to dig into some historical emails to find that I think. Arjen, do you have those emails? I might have been using the email that is now dead. Remember we all made that terrible but necessary list of who to ascend (and, sadly, who to burn). If we know her rank, we can solve this :P Not that it is a big deal.

Full disclosure! While there was indeed a purging, only two of the kings planned the burning part, the rest of us just planned ascensions and who would be asked to reapply.

Oh, tumultuous times!

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 10:17 pm 
Duke

*cries cause he's on fire a little still*

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: March 29th, 2016, 10:23 pm 
King

I think Duke sounds right, as her historical position - lord of a realm, the step below Kingdom - was about congruous. In any case she wasn't around long enough to act much on it.

Forums Administrator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next