All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 18th, 2016, 7:13 am 

Could we have a discussion to clarify what a Grand Duchy or County is? People seem to disagree on the meaning!

PostPosted: December 18th, 2016, 8:13 am 
Duke

I've heard many definitions, the most common of which is a realm which is more than a single county/duchy, though this requires further clarification as it is not clear if to be considered a grand duchy, a realm requires 2 duchies internally, or if a single duchy and another county would suffice.

I would prefer to think of grand duchies/counties as realms which have the requisite number of counties to move onto the next level, but are actively working on the other requirements. By this definition, Wychwood comprised a grand county from the point we had three counties in total, becoming a duchy once the other build/lore/character/participation requirements were met.

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: December 18th, 2016, 4:21 pm 
King

The names themselves confer no additional extra powers or titles, merely an honorific for the Realm.

The way I saw it was that if a realm had earned it through seniority or other commendations, the title was conferred. It's not something that's been set in stone as to what exactly that might be but if the community wishes it we can loosely define it if needed?

PostPosted: December 18th, 2016, 5:14 pm 
Duke

I could've sworn there was an in depth conversation about these very things when we were rewriting the Act of Definitions..

A normal Duchy compromises of a minimum of three (3) counties. Counties are essentially impossible to define, at least one definition is impossible all together, as many people have different ideas of what a county is. A person ruling a normal duchy would be a Duke or Duchess.

My personal definition for what a COUNT is below, but you can get a basis of what a county means to me based off it.

Quote:
Build Requirements

1. A settlement of around 15-20 buildings, 15 at a minimum. If quality exceeds quantity, these numbers can be lowered. Flavor buildings (such as an isolated logging camp, or a small house in the woods, etc) within one's general borders for a county are also taken into consideration.

2. Assistance in work around the realm or Empire. 'Work' can vary from building buildings for people, constructing over world & nether infrastructure, co-builds and more.

Lore & Activity Requirements

1. At least one consistent(with Laghiman lore) lore story about your character or settlement posted in the Laghiman Realm sub-forum.

2. Being active in game on a consistent basis.

A Grand Duchy is simply a minimum of two (2) duchies put together with a minimum of 6 counties across both. I use the number two as a reference as it's what constitutes the King ascension. I bring up King ascension as one would think that a regular Duchy wouldn't apply for Kingdom status, but a Grand Duchy, essentially a pseudo Kingdom just lacking the name but has the builds and influence, would. A person ruling a Grand Duchy would be a Grand Duke or Duchess.

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: December 20th, 2016, 4:09 am 
Duke

I've also held Septimus's view that the honorific "grand" is reserved for realms with the requisite amount of territories and settlements (though perhaps not other things) to ascend to the next rank. In essence, 3 county-sized settlements equals a grand county and 3 duchy-sized regions equals a grand duchy. No special powers or privileges are granted, of course.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2016, 7:36 pm 
King

Was this part of the ascension discussions or something of that nature? Not sure if we defined it then or not though.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2016, 8:16 pm 

We never defined it officially anywhere.