All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Community Guidelines
PostPosted: July 7th, 2015, 8:46 am 
Duke

I don't mean to be the ruiner of fun here, but I have noticed that some of the forums have been getting a little out of hand as far as staying on topic goes.

I will eventually make an official guidelines page, but for now please try to keep all posts relevant, on topic, and if applicable, professional as well. This applies mostly to the SCHOLARS AND MYSTICS, DIPLOMATIC COURT, and the APPLICATIONS. We are trying to make a good impression on all of the new people coming around and checking out what we have to offer. This doesn't mean there's no fun allowed, it just means containing that fun to its respective forums.

Also many of us browse the website at work or in front of family members so NSFW content should be clearly labeled by forum. NSFW threads are to be strictly in OFF TOPIC only with a NSFW tag on the front of the post.

I will be deleting irrelevant posts if necessary if they get too prevalent. So please think about what you're posting and where the next time you are commenting.

Post subject: Re: Community Guidelines
PostPosted: July 7th, 2015, 9:23 am 
King

Quite honestly, I can't really see there's anything that unruly going on. Sure, we have potentially NSFW gifs, but those are in the off-topic forum. Sure, we have aggravating airhorns, but that joke has died down. Sure, we have applicants being asked their favorite number (mine has to be i), but that was just a slightly silly question and didn't detract from the content, in my opinion.

We've never really operated with strict guidelines and never, to my knoledge, with the deletion of posts unless they were a copy/compltely uneeded/broke a law (see skellie's assasin for hire on the old forums), and it just slightly rubs me the wrong way. Not that I'm against an on-topic and tidy discussion (I am very much in favor of that), but posts that are silly or irrelavent have always been a thing to some dgree and are a reflection of our great community. I've never seen them seriously negatively impact a discussion; a thread may get derailed occasionally but I don't know if that's grounds for deleting posts. The occasional "let's get the thread back on topic' should work just as well.

I certainly agree that discussions, especially those in serious or lore matters (scholars and mystics, diplomacy, etc) should be handled in-character and professionally to the best of our abilities. But are they not at the moment? At the risk of either overacting or bing a stick in the mud, would you mind pointing to some cases where we're getting too unruly?

That is, unless I'm out of the loop and our situation is more dire than I thought. In that case, sorry for sounding pompous :)

Edit: Just had a look through some forums; I agree that we should perhaps not bring noodz into an expansion request, for example. So I do see your point, and it's a good one. Part of me just wonders about the strictness of deleting posts. Probably for no reason.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: July 7th, 2015, 9:49 am 
King

Good post. I'll be sure to add a NSFW tag to any future gifs and their content, without linking it to the forum so you have to click on it before you see it.

You are right in the regard that we should all be in character within the " serious " forums, as befits the people of an Empire. No airhorns where they dont belong.

Good post.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2015, 11:03 am 
Duke

In no way am I trying to censor anyone. This is just a general reminder to the community that certain discussions aren't the place to be silly. There aren't and never will be "strict guidelines" either. I also purposely didn't name names or single out discussions.

Of course this doesn't mean that you can't be friendly in an application or make a joke every so often. Just be careful that you don't go overboard.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2015, 1:38 pm 
Count

My apologies, I was guilty of this.

Dutifully noted!

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: July 7th, 2015, 1:46 pm 
King

As Atryl says, don't take this as meaning "no fun ever". Just be in character when it matters and keep the overly ludicrous stuff to the off topic forums!

Our banter is what makes us awesome, but our respect for our system and our lore and world are also what make us special! :D

PostPosted: July 7th, 2015, 8:41 pm 
Duke

Don't be too worried Biakko, I don't recall a time in which your posts were inappropriate. We're a fairly lax community. It's just a general reminder.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2015, 10:44 pm 
Duke

So banter in character is what you're saying

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: July 8th, 2015, 2:04 am 
King

Be formal where it is required, like all the sub forums in "Diplomatic Court" and annals of bequeathal, and new characters etc. Use some judgement on it :)

PostPosted: July 8th, 2015, 4:12 am 
Duke

I know. I was jking

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu