All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 3:37 am 
King

Hey all!

I had an interesting idea tonight while playing minecraft. Some of you may be familiar with the Kardashev scale. For those of you who are not, here is a wiki article on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Essentially, it is a ranking system that determines the technological advancement of a civilization. In our world, irl, this is measured by our ability to harness energy. I was thinking that we could develop a system like this for our world. I thought up a rudimentary scale that we could expand upon with some brainstorming.

Type III Civilization (Realm)
-Uses mending equipment
-Utilizes fast travel extensively
-Has a well developed, centralized capital
-Harnesses experience using many types of intricate mob grinders

Type II Civilization (Realm)
-Uses anvil and experience to heal equipment
-Has a well developed nether transport system
-Has a capital
-Harnesses experience using a singular, rudimentary mob grinder

Type I Civilization (Realm)
-Creates new equipment each time something breaks
-Has a developed overworld road system
-Does not have a centralized seat of power
-Harnesses experience by hunting mobs and slaughtering animals

Type 0 Civilization (Realm)
-Literally lives in a dirt hut praying that they will survive the night

This type of scale could be used just to rank the different realms in their technological advancement, or it could be used for more important things like helping to determine if a count is ready to become a duke or a duke a king. Obviously, it can be expanded upon so I look forward to hearing your input!

of River's End

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 4:05 am 

This is great, finally a lore way to make fun of people!

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 4:26 am 
King

Mark Accynnafon wrote:
This is great, finally a lore way to make fun of people!

Exactly! This would allow people to visualize the differences between the different realms and motivate others to get their butt into gear to catch up. It would also produce some pretty sick graphs.

of River's End

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 4:33 am 
King

I like this. Pretty sweet.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 6:27 am 
Duke

I don't think this is a good idea (except to make fun of people). The Kardashev Scale ranks civilizations based upon how much energy they utilize (a planet's, a star's, a galaxy's), with each successive step being a massive, exponential leap from the previous one. In Minecraft, there is no equivalent to this. We could potentially use resource utilization, but that is difficult to measure and probably puts most of us in the same category anyways (assuming we use orders of magnitude). If we use a different metric or metrics, then in all probability those metrics would be arbitrary, especially when we consider that different players have different goals. Some players build extensive settlements very quickly, others focus on gathering large amounts of materials, and still others take long periods of time to create intricately planned structures and settlements. A Hermertian Kardashev Scale would fail to be anything more than a useless and potentially insulting metric that would fail to capture the intricacies of different play styles and values.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 12:42 pm 
King

Chairman has a very valid point

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 10:52 pm 
King

The Chairman wrote:
I don't think this is a good idea (except to make fun of people). The Kardashev Scale ranks civilizations based upon how much energy they utilize (a planet's, a star's, a galaxy's), with each successive step being a massive, exponential leap from the previous one. In Minecraft, there is no equivalent to this. We could potentially use resource utilization, but that is difficult to measure and probably puts most of us in the same category anyways (assuming we use orders of magnitude). If we use a different metric or metrics, then in all probability those metrics would be arbitrary, especially when we consider that different players have different goals. Some players build extensive settlements very quickly, others focus on gathering large amounts of materials, and still others take long periods of time to create intricately planned structures and settlements. A Hermertian Kardashev Scale would fail to be anything more than a useless and potentially insulting metric that would fail to capture the intricacies of different play styles and values.

It's not intended to be an exact analog to the Kardashev scale, as I've said before. I was more using that as an example to get the ball rolling on our own "scale" that we could create. I laid out a few examples of how we could classify realms, not in terms of things like resource utilization or expansiveness but in terms of technological advancement. For example it's fairly widely accepted that players who use mob grinders to gather experience are more "advanced" than those who run out at night to kill mobs for experience, no?

of River's End

PostPosted: September 26th, 2016, 6:01 am 
King

however, especially with the fast travel system, major grinders are often used by people from multiple civilizations, but in individual realms people may vary on how they perform certain tasks. I also think that if we codify a certain scale based on metrics like exp harvesting, then new players might think that that is the actual goal of each realm and what will be needed to progress instead of focusing on their realm being the way they want it to be. Not every realm style, for instance, would necessarily have a massive centralized capital. some poeple may want their government to be broken up through multiple cities, different functions happening in different places. Sometimes I feel we as a community can get a little too caught up in real life parallels, while interesting when they happen naturally, i dont think we should try to push it towards developing like real world civilizations did. Not to mention, very few active players dont have mending tools at this point, regardless of how developed their realm is, especially when we posses a sam, also known as the Magnanimous Distributor of Mending. theres just no real way to make a scale like this that wouldnt A) define certain abritrary parameters as being more important then others, or B) contain so many variables it becomes meaningless

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 3:15 pm 
King

Also a good point, while this can be a fascinating venture into statistical data and graphs with tonnes of interesting points to view, it may as Myron has pointed out, cause some confusion for new players. Perhaps we could set up another set of metrics for other quantifiers? Although we already have Vassal, Count, Duke, King and Emperor to show levels of societal advancement and Realmship. Maybe different types of Realm/Government/Way of doing things is another possibility to look at?

I like this scale Arjen but a few tweaks are necessasry for true implementation, lets keep the ball rolling on ideas to see if anything else can fit or is suitable!