All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Felandris of Innean
PostPosted: August 7th, 2015, 11:00 am 
Duke

Year 437 of the Emperor - Phoenix 00/01, 1st year.

Gildos hurried over the cobble path and ducked behind the stone bridge as Eros slammed into him. Eros let out a little laugh but Gildos silenced him with a look, then they both peered around the corner to see the customs office. The door was locked and the docks were empty but for a few night guards on watch. One stood on the rise above them by the trebuchet, another up at the top of the cliff, by the foot of the lighthouse. They needed to time it perfectly. The guard on the lighthouse turned away and Gildos crept around the pillar until he could see the boots of the other guard above him. He waited until the boots lifted and turned, then lifted his hood over his face and dived across the open space to the carts piled by the customs office. He ducked behind them, grabbing Eros and pulling him in with him just as the guard turned around. They both held their breath and waited. When no alarm was sounded, they moved around the cart and carefully lifted the blanket covering it. Inside were barrels pull of apples waiting to be processed by the customs officers.

Eros, being the smaller of the two, jumped under the blanket and began to search the barrels as Gildos leisurely took an apple and bit into it, leaning against the cart. One or twice Gildos had to hiss at Eros to stop moving as the guard turned his attention toward them, but soon the danger passed and they continued. Finally Eros let out a small yelp of triumph as he lifted from one barrel two bottles of greenish-white liquid. Gildos ushered him over and took both bottles while Eros retrieve three more from the same barrel. Laden with their prize, the duo dodged the guard again and hurriedly made their way back down the docks and toward the city. As they made it clear of the guards, Eros paused and unstopped a bottle.

"What are you doing?" Gildos asked, turning back to him.

"I need a sip!"

"You know we're not allowed to! Ergan will kill you!"

"It's just cactus juice! Besides, I need it!" Gildos sighed heavily. This is what his life had become. In the four years since arriving in Glas Claddach he had befriended Eros and then, through him, Ergan, who had introduced them to this game of stealing. Although, as Ergan put it, it wasn't stealing at all. The bottles never belonged to the trader who brought them. They always belongs to Ergan and his friends, the trader was merely bringing them in from Floggen.At first, Gildos and Eros would simply retrieve the bottles and bring them back, but a couple of years ago they started to drink the cactus juice as well. The drugs inside gave everything a sharper look, as if in a higher definition, and the feeling inside was amazing, it felt as if he were being lifted on clouds of air. Eros had indulged so much Gildos was starting to worry about him. All he ever talked about any more was getting his next bottle of cactus juice. Eros took a long swig before putting the cork back in the bottle and hurrying to catch up to Gildos. They were just approaching the bridge when they froze as the sound of hooves echoed overhead. There was a shout, then a muffle clunk and the hooves continued. As they stood beneath the bridge, Gildos peered around the corner to see six soldiers turn and march down the steps. His eyes widened and he pushed Eros further back.

"What's going..."

"Shh!" They crouched around the corner, but there was no cover. The plateau they were on was too high to jump off and there were no barrels or carts to hide behind. Gildos thought quickly. They could go back to the Customs offices but that would put them between the soldiers and the guards. He cursed silently as the soldiers reached the foot of the steps and pushed Eros back around the corner to the blind spot between the soldiers and the guards. If the soldiers came this way, they were doomed. He held his breath. Just then, Eros tugged on his sleeve and Gildos looked down at him.

"Eros, stop. It's just a hallucination."

"But Gildos, they're looking right at us." Gildos saw Eros staring upward and followed his gaze. Above them, the stone bridge turned and wound toward the lighthouse, and there, upon the stone bridge, stood another dozen soldiers around one man upon a diamond armored horse. They were all staring down at them. Just them, a gloved hand grabbed Gildos' shoulder and he jumped, dropping the three bottles of cactus juice at his feet. Two of the soldiers grabbed him, while another grabbed Eros. Gildos tried to struggle, to break free, but the soldier's were too strong. They almost lifted him off his feet as they carried back, up the stone steps to where the horseman was standing. There, they planted him on his feet to stare up at the figure. Close up, the torch light illuminated the bearded face, the ragged crimson scar, the grey hair drawn back in a ponytail.

"Father?" Gildos breathed.

Murtagh stood at the top of the stone steps, just outside the Parked Pegasus, watching his little brother and Eros across the darkness with a trained eye. Beside him, Ferris stood shivering in the night air. Although Murtagh felt the cold, he was a man now, twenty one years of age, and he wanted to show his little brother how to be a man too, and that meant not feeling the cold.

"Why are we here?" Ferris asked for what felt like the hundredth time.

"We're going to stop Gildos from ruining his life any further." Murtagh said simply. "And I want you to see it, so you don't make the same mistakes." Ferris shivered in the cold, then Murtagh placed a hand on his shoulder and pulled him closer to him. He liked his youngest sibling, Ferris was small and innocent, but a little too innocent. He was a Felandrison, and he needed to know more of the world than what their mother had sheltered from him. They watched the pair across the water duck behind the cart, then run back a few moment later carrying the bottles. Just then, Ferris gasped and pointed. Murtagh followed his gaze to see a dozen or more soldiers marching across the great stone bridge, a horseman in their midst. As they watched, the soldiers knocked out one of the guards on the bridge, then separated. They were flanking the boys.

"Ferris, go fetch Mother." Ferris nodded and hurried up the steps toward the castle. Murtagh watched for a moment as Gildos and Eros were both taken up the steps to the horseman. Then Eros was hit over the head and left behind as the soldiers took Gildos back across the bridge. They were trying to leave the city. Murtagh ran through the streets and across the wooden bridge. He passed just beneath the soldiers, then sprinted up the wooden steps two at a time. He thanked the gods he'd thought to bring his rapier. As he reached the top of teh steps, he realized he'd missed the soldiers. They weren't heading for the nether portal on the cliff-face, they were heading for the gatehouse. Murtagh ran and jumped over the fences, startling the sleeping sheep. Under an oak tree and through a small chicken coup he flew, before hurrying up and across the path, a few feet behind the soldiers. He jumped up the hill toward the gatehouse, where he signal the guard.

"Lower the portcullis!" He shouted. The guard responded at once, running into the tower. There were a few agonizing moments as the portcullis grated into movement, falling down ahead of the soldiers. There were shouts of confusion from the tunnel, a horse nickered and Murtagh could hear Gildos shouting. Without thinking, Murtagh jumped down from the hill and stood upon the path as the soldiers turned from the fallen portcullis to retreat. Nobody moved. there were eighteen soldiers, all surrounding the horseman. The horse was a fine steed, jet black with white dots upon it's brow, and armored with diamond. Upon its back sat a man in iron armor, with a heavy set, grey beard covering a disfiguring red scar across his left cheek. The madness in those eyes was unmistakable, for it was exactly what his mother had spoken of since they had fled from Tremaine.

"Felandris," Murtagh nodded to him. The Count plodded forward on his horse, scrutinizing the young man.

"Do I know you?" He asked, sliding his jaw as if grinding his teeth.

"Murtagh!" Gildos shouted. He was restrained beside the horse, with one soldiers gripping him by the hair.

"Murtagh?" Felandris asked, drawing out the word as if it were alien to him. "The governor of Glas Claddach? Hah. I come expecting to find one son and instead shall leave with two." He clicked his fingers and the soldiers started to move, but Murtagh drew his rapier.

"You'll leave with none but you're own life if you're lucky!" He yelled. The soldiers paused as there was a shout from above them. Upon the gatehouse, three archers stood, arrows knock and pointing at the soldiers, while another seven spear men rallied around Murtagh, lowering their points to the soldiers.

"You're outnumbered, boy," Felandris scoffed.

"My men and I will die to free my brother," Murtagh promised him. "Will your men die to save you from an arrow?" Felandris' eyes flashed dangerously.

"Where is your charming mother? I expected resistance from her, not you," Murtagh smiled.

"Be grateful. If she were here, there would be far fewer words." Felandris let out a bark of laughter.

"Too true, my son, too true." Flenadris regarded him for a moment, then clicked his fingers toward Gildos. The soldier released him and Gildos ran to Murtagh, who pulled him behind his back.

"Are we excused?" Felandris asked. Murtagh nodded at the archers. Two back away and after a few moments the portcullis creaked and heaved as it lifted again.

"Until next time."

"If you're smart there will be no next time." Murtagh warned. Felandris did no respond. Instead, he and his soldiers turned and marched out of the city in silence.

Morganna ran out of the castle as Murtagh almost carried Gildos back with him. She was near tears as she grabbed her sons and pulled them to her. Neither Murtagh nor Gildos tried to fight her. Then she led them both back into the castle and up one of the towers to where Ferris and Ula were waiting. As they reached the door, Morganna let Gildos go in first, before turning on Murtagh and slapping him across the face.

"Don't ever take Ferris into something like that again." She warned him.

"He needs to learn, mother."

"He need to be protected." Morganna interrupted him. "I am his mother. Don't ever disobey me like that again." Murtagh remained silent as Morganna strode into the room. Gildos was standing awkwardly beside the table, where Ula and Ferris were sitting, Ula still rubbing sleep from her eyes.

"What happened?" She asked, "Was it father?"

"Aye," Murtagh nodded. "He came to take Gildos. We stopped him."

"What were you doing out there in the first place?" Morganna asked, looking at Gildos. He remained silent for a moment while they all waited.

"I was stealing drugs for a smuggler." He said at last.

"What kind of drugs?" Murtagh asked, stepping forward.

"Were you taking any? Who were you with?" Morganna asked.

"It was cactus juice, from Floggen." he confessed.

"And who were you with?" Murtagh asked.

"Eros, the inn keeper's boy,"

"And were you taking any?"

"Not tonight..."

"Not tonight? So you've taken it before?" Morganna asked. Gildos nodded slowly. "I should never have brought you here. There is too much crime in this city. If that blasted Garda were doing their jobs properly..."

"Who were you smuggling it for?" Murtagh asked, interrupting his mother.

"Ergan, we take it to him on Port view lane," Murtagh hurried to the door and whispered something to the guard, before returning. "I promise, I'm never going to do that again. I'm never even gonna touch Cactus juice again." he pleaded, looking up at Murtagh. Morganna could not hide the hurt in her eyes as her son ignored her. Murtagh glanced at her, before kneeling before Gidlos and cupping his hands in his.

"I know. But these acts...Gildos, how can we trust you to keep that promise? You need to commit to it, you need to show us you're true to your word."

"I am! I will!"

"You need to earn back out trust and respect. For now, go to your room and rest." He stroked his brother's hair and lifted his chin. "You are our brother, and we still love you." Gildos jumped into Murtagh's arms and held him in a close embrace for a long moment while Morganna looked on enviously. Then he released him and left eh chamber.

"Ferris, go with him." Murtagh ordered. Morganna nodded her approval and Ferris followed. Then Ula, Murtagh and Moranna remained.

"He will need to be watched." Murtagh observed. "Cactus juice is a powerful drug. It is not without it's addictions. He will need support, resolve, discipline."

"Aye," Morganna wept silently.

"Perhaps the monks could help him?" Ula asked. Murtagh nodded slowly.

"It's a good idea. King Scrios is speaking of constructing a new monastery out at Clyde Sea."

"That's very close to Tremaine..." Morganna said, looking up at her eldest.

"Aye, but it's not been built yet. Any construction effort would require the assistance of Tremaine, which means we need to sort out Felandris sooner rather than later."

"Sort out?" Ula asked. Silence fell as they each stared at each other, comprehension dawning on Ula's face.

"Ula, there is something I wanted to speak with you about..." Morganna began, drawing a letter from the pocket of her nightgown "I was going to wait until morning, but this seems as good as time as any. I received word from Hermoch in Dunn. The House of Carnoustie has heard a lot about our family, and their son Braven would like to extend his offer for your hand in marriage." A stunned silence fell. Murtagh took the letter from his mother and read it over.

"I've heard of Carnoustie...they are one of the oldest families in Dunn." He said, handing the letter to Ula.

"What do you think?" Morganna asked.

"I..I'm speechless."

"As a nobleman's wife in Dunn, you'd be able to attend all the galas and grand balls of the kingdom, and you'd have a great deal of political influence..." Morganna trailed off. Murtagh looked at her for a moment.

"You and Hermoch want to marry Ula off so she can cover up for father's insanity." He said bluntly. Ula looked at Morganna, who nodded, her face turned away.

"There is no other way to protect our family's name."

"Ula is my sister, I'll not allow her to wed off against her will."

"It wouldn't be against her will. No one is forcing her to do anything. This is just an idea Hermoch and I had." Morganna defended herself.

"A stupid idea. Ula's not going anywhere, she's staying here until we get this mess sorted."

"But what if we can't? What if we need help?" Morganna asked. "We have no idea what Felandris will do next! I need to know my daughter will be safe, will be taken care of. Carnoustie is one of the oldest houses in Perth, respected. No one would dare touch her there."

"And she also get's the ear of the King to put in a good word for us so when Felandris finally..."

"I'll do it." They both looked at Ula. "I'll marry him. It's been my dream to marry into a wealthy family in Dunn since I was a little girl. And mother's right, I can help our family there too. I'm not a fighter like you, Murtagh, I'm a courtier's wife. I can handle myself in the court of Tremaine and really, how much different can it be in Dunn? The cities still being built for God's sake!" She smiled as Murtagh smiled with her. Morganna remained stoic as Ula handed her back the letter.

"I'll make the arrangements with Hermoch." Morganna said, standing up to leave. Taking his chance, Murtagh lifted the hair comb from his pocket.

"Mother, I think you dropped something," he said, offering it to her. She turned and looked at the comb for a long moment, then reached out and took it.

"I thought I'd lost that. Thank you," she turned and left the room as Ula walked after her, leaving Murtagh with a feeling like molten lead in his stomach.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2015, 3:05 pm 
Duke

Dun dun dunnnn

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 7th, 2015, 4:04 pm 
Duke

Oh my. What a turn of events. I'm captivated, my friend.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: August 8th, 2015, 10:45 am 
Duke

Year 440 of the Emperor - Phoenix 00/01, 4th year.

The late evening sun was descending beyond the western coast of the city of Glas Claddach as Morganna reached for her goblet of wine and lifted her glass, Murtagh following suit.

"To a very successful few years," she smiled. Murtagh nodded as they toasted, before taking a small sip from their goblets. They had just returned from Dunn the week before, where they had attended Ula's wedding to Braven Carnoustie. He was a handsome man, entering his thirties now, and with a wealth of experience in monetary management, he was one of the main businessmen in Dunn and played no small part in the city's fabled economy. Better still, he treated Ula like a princess. His manners shocked Morganna to the point that she almost found herself preferring Braven's company to her own son's. She later berated herself for feeling such things, but he was just so charming it was difficult not to like him.

The wedding had taken place outside, on a hill overlooking the vast, green farmland of Dunn's outer city, and the reception at the Carnoustie's vast estate. Murtagh had given Ula away, and Morganna had presented her with a dowry of such wealth even the Caroustie's were taken aback, not expecting such finery from the smaller cities, no doubt. She smiled at the thought of her daughter's wedding dress. It was just a shame that Gildos could not attend. For the past three years he had been living with the monks in Glas Claddach, devoting his life to the Gods. He lived and worked in the open air cathedral Glas Claddach boasted at the foot of the cliff on which the castle was built; the same Cathedral Morganna had been married in, and where each of her children has been blessed upon their birth. He was making ehr proud with his devotion to the Gods, and she genuinely believed he had turned a page. She sighed contentedly.

"So, Ula is wedded, Gildos has gone straight, Ferris is beginning to manage Glas Claddach more than I am at this rate," Murtagh listed them all off. It was true, Ferris had begun taking menial tasks from Murtagh to support his workload, but recently, what with the wedding and the construction of the castle beginning, a lot more had fallen to him, but the youngest son did not waver. Now at eighteen years old, he had grown into a strong leader and Morganna sometimes had to remind herself he was no longer he wee bairn. She nodded slowly.

"We did well, considering," She agreed. "Thank you for helping me," Murtagh shook his head.

"They were my siblings as much as your children," She let her head fall back lazily as the last rays of the sun danced across her ceiling. Finally, Murtagh drained the last of his goblet and set it down before rising to his feet. "Well, I should turn in. Tomorrow we're due to complete the foundations of the castle and begin on the first walls." Morganna nodded and he made to leave. Just as he reached the door there was a loud noise from outside, then the door burst open as two soldiers barged in.

"M'lord, M'lady, Felandris is at the city gates!" The goblet shattered on the ground as Morganna rose and moved around her desk, already grabbing the belt with the daggers she kept on call at all times.

"Fetch my sword," Murtagh ordered.

"Already did sir, it'll be waiting for us at the wall." The soldier nodded. They marched out of the room and through the city. This time, it transpired, Felandris had approached the city from the west. The main road approached from the east and led toward Innean and Strathcierd, but there was also a smaller road which led south along the western edge of the inland loch and toward the main road to Dunn. It was not the most direct route, but that depended on where Felandris had come from. As they reached the walls, as yet unfinished, for the gatehouse was still under construction, they looked out at a small army. Thirty soldiers, all armed and ready for combat, and at their head stood Felandris upon his diamond armored horse. He stared at them, unblinking.

"Governor," he nodded. "So glad you accepted my invitation to parle,"

"What do you want?" Murtagh asked, raising his voice to carry over the distance.

"Want? The same thing I wanted last time I was here; I want to take my sons home."

"They are not your sons," Morganna objected, stepping in front of Murtagh. Felandris let out a bark of laughter that sounded more like a war cry than mirth.

"They are my blood and my bone, and they will know me once more." He sneered. His voice had changed. It was more gravely now, as if years of drinking had ruined his throat. She wondered if he was drunk even now, but he held himself upon his horse without swaying.

"Blood and bone perhaps, but you lost the right to our fatherhood a long time ago," Murtagh corrected him. "No begone from these city walls, or count it as a declaration of war." Again Felandris laughed.

"Do you not know your own father's titles?" Felandris asked again. "I am Count Felandris of Innean. Founder of Glas Claddach, Count of Carrickshire and it's capital Tremaine. I am the reason any of this stands here today. I. am. this. city." his voice rang with authority and for a moment Murtagh almost bowed to him. Silence fell as he tried to regain his composure, however, just then a bell rang through the city and they all turned. A runner appeared in the street below and called up to them.

"My lord, someone has broken into the Priest's quarters! They say they've kidnapped some of the priests!" Murtagh turned back to Felandris, who raised his arm and pointed his diamond blade at the wall.

"This is my city, and your declaration of war is nothing but a child throwing a tantrum. If you shall excuse me, my son is waiting for me." He sheathed his blade once more, before turning and riding back south, his soldiers following. Murtagh and Morganna sprinted as fast as they could to the priests quarters, just up the hill from the Cathedral. Many of the priests had been harassed or pushed about, but there were no major injuries.

"Where is Gildos?" Morganna begged, "Where is my son?"

"They took him," replied one of the priests. "They came in here, and kicked us down until they grabbed him and then left." Morganna let out a wail as Murtagh grabbed the old man.

"Which way did they go?"

"East, toward the bridge." Murtagh bolted out the door and through the streets, nearly knocking several people over as he held his hand at the hilt of his rapier to ensure it was still there. He reached the wooden bridge and looked across it in time to see a small band of men dressed in black pulling a bound and gagged Gildos through the nether portal.

"Gildos!" Murtagh yelled. Gildos seemed to hear him, try to twist to see him, but then he was gone, into the fiery depths of the nether. Murtagh gave chase, leaping over the fencing and rolling onto the gravel to break his fall, but he jarred his shoulder and he let out a yell of pain. Ignoring it, he ran up the steps to find the two guards responsible for protecting the portal dead on the floor. He ran through the portal and emerged into the sweltering heat of the nether. He coughed, the sudden sulfurous odor making him gasp for air.

"Gildos!" He yelled again. He ran through the cobblestone corridors before reaching the first of the nether hubs and glancing down each corridor. There was no trace of them. He swore as he lifted his hands to his head in frustration, pulling at his scalp. He stopped walking and took a deep breath, calming his mind. He knew Felandris was taking him back to Tremaine. He also knew Felandris was on the west coast of the loch, so in order to meet up with them, they would need to remain in the Ilminite coast. The road north led up the the purple line and the Valyrian Shipyards, but the road south led to Innean and Strathcierd. He knew they would not risk dragging a kidnapped priest so close to Strathcierd, but Innean...the portal was hidden from the fort, and if they had horses waiting they could easily follow the road, skirt Strathcierd, and meet up with Felandris on the road to Dunn. But that was the problem, they would have horses, and Murtagh did not. He turned back to the corridor toward Glas Claddach, his shoulder slumped in defeat.

"I'll get you back, brother," he promised, before making his way back to the netherportal.

Murtagh sat in his council chambers once more, his mother collapsed in a chair opposite him, unmoving, while Ernam stood over then, along with Braven and Ula, who had arrived in Glas Claddach the previous day. Upon the table lay a map of the Ilminite coast. Two weeks had passed since Gildos' kidnapping, and Morganna had done little in that time.

"Our scouts tracked Felandris to a camp here, on the road to Dunn. They confirmed Gildos was there. The soldiers moved out the following day, by now they will be at Tremaine." Ernam explained.

"Which means we need to go to Tremaine to get him back." Murtagh added.

"The problem is, we don't have the resources to move a sizable team to Tremaine. They will need to camp outside the city for a prolonged period of time." Ernam explained.

"My family will help in whatever way we can," Braven promised. "You will go yourself?" Murtagh nodded. "I would like to join you. As part of your family, I would like to do what I can to stop this madman."

"You'd be welcome. Ula, we want you to take Ferris back to Dunn with you. Glas Claddach isn't safe anymore. No matter how insane, Felandirs would never try to pull anything in the King's capital." Ula nodded.

"What about you, mother?" Ula asked. Morganna stirred.

"I shall wait here, someone must look after this city." Her voice cracked as if she had not used it in a long time. Ula nodded. Ernam eyes the mother for a moment, before looking back at Murtagh and Braven. "We have twenty volunteered soldiers to accompany you. We have two carts with enough supplies to last you all several months. Hopefully, it was won't come to that. Just find Gildos and get him out of there."

"No," Murtagh said, pushing himself off the table. "When I leave Tremaine, Felandris will no longer be count, one way or another." Ernam and Braven eyed him for a moment, before nodding once. As they dispersed, Ula grabbed Murtagh's arm and took him to one side.

"Is it best to leave mother here alone? Look at her, she needs us with her right now."

"Someone has to stay here,"

"Then let Ernam stay, he can govern the city in your absence for a few months."

"I don't know how long I will be gone for. Besides, you do not give mother enough credit. She will be fine. She has to be." Murtagh strode away then and Ula looked back at her mother, worried, before hurrying to leave with Braven.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2015, 12:00 pm 
Duke

Year 442 of the Emperor - Phoenix 00/02, 1st year.

The small sailing ship pulled into port at Tremaine just as the sun began setting. As the sailors stepped onto the port, one of the Custom's officer's hurried over to them.

"I'm afraid the custom's office is closing for the night. You'll need to wait 'til tomorrow to process your goods," he told them.

"Aye, and when will we be processed?" asked one of the sailors. "Three days since we had a proper 'kip, nae chance we can get intae th' city th'night?" The customs officer shook his head.

"You'll have to wait 'til morning." the sailor cursed as the custom officer walked away. They tied the rope of their vessel to the port and returned below deck for the night.

Darkness enveloped the city. At night, the many flaming lanterns gave the city and ethereal look. The great lighthouse continued to blaze high above them as two of the sailors crept up above deck, with them a slight figure wrapped in black robes.

"We'll get you into the city, but you need to stay quiet," one whispered to the figure, who nodded an agreement. They slipped over the side of the ship and into the icy water, before crouching beneath the wooden planks of the harbor and into shallow waters where they could stand. Together, the trio moved around the harbor unseen. Beneath the custom's offices, where the great crane stood to lift the heaviest good into the warehouse, they had to slip into the water and swim silently around the corner. As they rounded the corner, they came back onto land and hid behind the many crags which littered this side of the custom's offices. No windows looked out this way, and the crags gave enough cover to shield them from prying eyes on the city walls. The greatest difficulty lay in getting to the mainland, for the docks were connected to the city by a single strip of land with a stone road built across it. However, the raised road meant there was a blind spot along the length of the land bridge where soldiers could not see from the walls. Using this to their advantage, they crept through the shallow water and reached the base of the city cliffs. Once here, they waited, watching the city walls. This area outside the walls was a small stone bay with a pond and a waterfall. The cliffs rose almost vertically from this bay and the walls were built upon those, making this point an impenetrable barrier no one could cross into the city. Finally, there was a noise like a tawny owl, and one of the sailors repeated the noise. Keeping to the shadows, they crept down onto the stone bay and around the pond, taking care to be as silent as possible. the disadvantage to the high stone walls was, anyone moving this close to them, was not immediately noticeable. They reached the stone cliffs and the figure pulled the scarf away from their face to reveal their mouth.

"What now? We're pinned against the cliff!" The sailor lifted a single finger to his lips, then pointed at the wall. They watched it for a long moment before the stone cracked and drew back, revealing a hidden passage. They dived inside and the stone door closed.

"This is the best smugglers passage into Tremaine," one of the sailors said, lowering his own hood. follow this passage, you'll get to one of the houses in the lower city. We've got to go back; we have to be on the ship in the morning."

"Good luck," the other sailor offered. the figure thanks them, before one knock on the wall and the door reopened. They slipped outside and the door slid shut, leaving the figure alone in the passage. They followed it on, through the solid rock, and at one point they thought they could hear the gurgling of water, possibly from the sewers. Finally they reached a ladder and climbed up, knocking on the trap door at the top. There was a sound like wood sliding over wood, them the trap door opened and a man reached down to help them out. The figure emerged into a small room packed with bottle, barrels, crates, probably all full of contraband.

"Fee for gettin' you in?" The man asked, holding out his hand. The figure reach into their black robes and drew out a purse of gold coins, handing it to him. "Thank ye'. Have to say, it's a bit odd smuggling people into Tremaine these days, normally they want out!" They man laughed at his own comment but the figure remained unmoved. "Up 'ere then, we'll get out out o' 'ere." He said, pointing them toward another ladder. They climbed up and through a second trap door and into the back of a kitchen in a small, two story house. There was a woman cleaning up dinner and two children slept in bed upstairs. The man ushered the figure to the door and said. "'ave a good night," the figure thanked him and then left.

"Outside the cold night air washed over them. The lowered their hood to reveal their feminine hair which rolled down around their shoulders. They were in.

"Felandris has refused our latest request for an audience," Braven said, leaning heavily on the wooden table in the tent. Murtagh sat in a chair beside it, his legs upon the table as he leaned back. "Six moons we've been camped here and still he ignores us."

"He's trying to show he doesn't care about my actions." Murtagh explained. "Making me feel like a child instead."

"Our supplies are running out, we'll need to start trading with the locals for food, and that's scarce in these parts," Braven noted.

"Aye, our last shipment is late." They both stared at the map of Tremaine upon the table hopelessly. "There must be something we've missed. How can we end this siege?" Just then there was a knock on the post to the tent. "Enter," a soldier marched in, holding his helm under his arm.

"M'lord, a courtier from Tremaine is here to see you." Murtagh and Braven looked at each other, before nodding.

"Show him in." The soldier bowed, then stepped aside. It was Lord Barshen, one of the nobles who came to Tremaine in the promise of wealth in previously unseen stones. He managed one of the largest diorite shipping companies in Perth. He bowed as he entered, and the others responded in kind.

"Murtagh, I'm glad to see you are well." he said, though Murtagh could not return the compliment. The man's hair was ragged and his clothes were pauper's clothes. "Apologies for the attire, it was necessary to get out of the city." Murtagh nodded. then offered him a seat. Lord Barshen accepted and sat.

"I'm surprised you recognized me," Murtagh said, also sitting. "It's been...thirteen years?"

"Aye, it's been a long time," Barshen nodded. "I remember when you were still a wee lad runnin' roond the streets wi' yer wee sister." Barshen smiled. "How times have changed."

"Indeed. This is Lord Braven Carnoustie," Murtagh introduced them.

"Carnoustie, of the Dunn Carnousties?"

"Aye, the same,"

"Well, what bring you on this mission?"

"I am wed to Ula," Lord Barshen nodded.

"A fine match indeed. Many congratulations." Braven thanked him.

"Forgive me for my brevity," Murtagh began, "But if you're dressed as a pauper to see me, might I ask what it is you came to say?"

"I've been trying to get a message to you since you arrived," Lord Barshen explained. "Felandris brought Gildos here two years ago, however, about a year ago Gildos escaped the castle. I don't know how, but he was chased down. Many of the townspeople helped him how they could, blocking the streets with their carts, helping him run through gardens and over walls. Several children even started running around as decoys. The chase went on for three days before they chased him to the kirk. The monks there brought him inside and he has been claiming sanctuary ever since. The monks will not let Felandris, or his men, in while Gildos continues to plead sanctuary."

"So he's safe?" Murtagh asked. Lord Barshen nodded. Murtagh sighed with relief and felt several years worth of furrow lines on his brow release. "I shall write to mother at once, she should know."

"Indeed. Also, I wanted to let you know, whatever you plan to do the people of Tremaine will support you. The entire city is a spark away from a full scale rebellion."

"Many would be killed, let's hope it does not come to that." Braven warned.

"However, it is good to know the people support us. We have allies on the inside."

"Many of the soldiers, too. They are conscripted and have no love of the Count. They follow his orders out of fear mostly, but if push comes to shove, many will surrender willingly." Murtagh nodded.

"So, Gildos is in the kirk, the townspeople support me, and the soldiers are willing to revolt. If we can organize a coup to take the main city, we wouldn't even need to take the castle. We can starve Felandris out." Murtagh proposed.

"Previously, the only reason we never considered it was fear of what he might do to Gildos, but if Gildos is not in the castle Felandris is powerless to stop us."

"We just need to make sure there are as few innocents in the castle as possible. Lord Barshen, thank you. We'll get word to you as soon as we have a plan." Murtagh said, standing. Lord Barshen stood as well.

"It was my pleasure. Let me know and I can organize the people."

The woman had found a job in one of the nobles kitchens, serving food. Lord Barshen was a good host, he had the respect of the people, and he had ties within the castle, which is what the woman was looking for. Rumors were flying that Barshen was in contact with Lord Murtagh outside the walls, and more were flying about a potential coup. Indeed, about a week after starting there, The head of the staff summoned all the servants to the kitchen for an announcement.

"Lord Barshen has informed me of a plot to liberate the city," the servant announced. "It will take place tomorrow morning just before dawn. Tonight, we will need three volunteers to go into the castle and warn the servants there and get them out."

"I will go," offered the cook, "I know the kitchen staff,"

"I know the maids, I'll go for them," offered one of the cleaners."

"I volunteer," the woman offered, holding up her hand. "I know the castle very well, I can help get people out." the head of staff nodded.

"Very well, you three get going. There's a shipment of mead going into the castle, you can pose as the drivers." Without waiting any longer, the three left eh kitchen and hurried outside. They found the shipment of mead waiting on the main road. The actual drivers handed them his coat and hat and soon they were making their way toward the castle. The cart was difficult to maneuver occasionally but they were soon crossing the bridge to the castle. At the gate they were stopped by the guards and the cart was searched. Letting them pass, they hurried through the castle gates and into the vast courtyard. From there, the moved the cart to the loading bay, where several more servants were waiting for them to carry the barrels down to the kitchens. The drivers helped carry them down, and where they were safely hidden within the kitchen, divulged the plan. Stripping of the driver uniform, the woman slipped away unnoticed as the kitchen staff hurried to prepare for the coup, either stealing or destroying all the food stored to help starve out the castle guards after the coup.

The woman slipped out of the kitchen and followed the familiar corridors to the vast, glass walled hall which led to the throne room. She walked through the hall on light feet, staying as silent as possible before rounding the corner to where she knew Felandris' bed chamber was. Opening the door just a crack, she peered inside. The room was dark and still. Upon the bed, the sheets were piled over the sleeping form of the Count. She slipped into the room and tiptoed to the foot of the bed and listened. His snores answered her and she thanked the gods for her luck. Looking around, she found a glass goblet on the desk beside several empty bottles of wine. She searched through them and found one with just enough left for a drink. She poured it into the goblet, then drew the clear vial from her pocket and added it as well. She swirled the goblet a few times and set the vial on the table, the label reading nightshade clearly visible in the dim candlelight.

She stepped toward the bed and made to set the goblet on the bedside table. A hand grabbed her wrist and she nearly dropped the goblet. grabbing her hand to her mouth to stop from screaming, she watched as Felandris opened his eyes and looked at her. With one hand he touched her cheek and caressed her skin. It was a warm hand, with rough skin, and despite herself she could not help but lean into his hand. His thumb wiped a tear from her face.

"Morganna..." he breathed. She nodded. He took the goblet from her and looked at it. "Poison?" She closed her eyes and a tear rolled over her cheek.

"Yes," she nodded. He stared at her for a long moment before she finally looked up at him. His eyes shone as she had not seen them in years. Once more, her husband was alive in those eyes.

"Has it really come to this?" He asked. holding up the goblet. Her heart breaking, Morganna nodded, then shook her head, and began to sob as she fell into his chest. He caressed her hair for a longer moment, before taking the goblet to his lips and drinking. He lay back and she held onto him for a long time, crying her tears into his sheets. A long time passed, then there was a loud crash as the goblet fell from his hand and shattered on the stone floor.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2015, 12:00 pm 
Duke

Boom! Get on my level Peeps!

PostPosted: August 8th, 2015, 12:28 pm 
Duke

Oh shut up I have to deal with children all day, that's where most of my creativity is going.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 8th, 2015, 1:22 pm 
Duke

Challenge accepted.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2015, 1:46 pm 
Duke

^^^^ pls

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 8th, 2015, 11:07 pm 
Duke

Omfg
yes
thank you
I loved it
but now you're dead

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next