All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Felandris of Innean
PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 12:10 am 
Duke

I'm working on an epilogue which will give birth to my next character. But yes, Felandris is dead...but an awesome death!!!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 4:13 am 
Duke

A SAD DEATH

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 4:36 am 
Duke

Sad nah

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 10:35 am 
Duke

The epilogue is here.

Year 442 of the Emperor - Phoenix 00/02, 1st year.

"And you expect me to believe this tale?" King Scrios asked, an eyebrow raised. He sat on the quartz throne in Tremaine castle as Murtagh knealt before him. Having listened to the colourful tale of the Felandrison house from the mining accident in year 429, right up until the Count's death a few months prior.

"It is the truth, my liege," Murtagh nodded.

"It is the truth that on the third day of the fourth moon of this year, the four hundredth and forty-second of the emperor, the soldiers of Tremaine summoned you to this castle after your father passed away peacefully in his sleep?" Murtagh thought back to the day. The streets in turmoil, people shouting with absurd rumors of Felandris being dead, Gildos having killed him, Murtagh, himself, having besieged the castle overnight. Chaos reigned through the city, and Murtagh had made his way to the castle to find his mother lying over the corpse of the Count, the shattered goblet upon the floor, an empty vial of nightshade on the table.

"Aye, my liege."

"And these rumors I hear of treason and a planned coup on that same day, what do you say of these?"

"One hears many things, my liege, whether the truth is among them is not clear." Scrios did not smile. "I will add this, however. On the day in question, I came to this castle to find the Count Felandris dead in his bed chamber, alone, with no signs of foul play. My father, in contrast, died thirteen years ago in a freak mining accident in the Nether."

"You renounce the Count as not being your father?"

"He lost that right a long time ago." Scrios tapped the arm of the throne in frustration before taking a deep breath and releasing it slowly.

"I have inspected the records of the Garda from Glas Claddach. They state you never found the killer of the smuggler in the Dancing Dragon?"

"Aye, that is right sir."

"The records also indicate that at the site of the murder, you found a hair comb which, by your own testament, did not match the victim's own apparel."

"If the records say it, it must be true sir,"

"Then might I ask why that comb is not in the evidence locker in Glas Claddach?" Silence fell as Murtagh considered his words carefully.

"My only thought is that, while moving evidence from the inn to the locker, some evidence may have been misplaced."

"Which insinuates you were lacking in your handling of this investigation."

"I suppose it does." Scrios stared the young man down. Murtagh did not shift, he did not squirm. The King had to admire that much about him.

"And the box of nightshade found at the scene of the crime, how many vials were missing?"

"Just the one, sir, the one used to kill the trader." Murtagh replied simply. Finally Scrios stood and stepped down from the throne. He stood over Murtagh, who remained on his knee.

"Your family has caused me nothing but trouble...you know you will never be Count, don't you?"

"Aye, My King."

"Your mother, you stand by this story, that she is innocent?" Murtagh did not respond. Finally, he took a steadying breath and replied.

"In the last thirteen years, Felandris was guilty of insanity, Morganna guilty of caring for her children. Gildos has been guilty of smuggling, and Ula guilty of manipulating the politics in Dunn to hide these events from you. I myself am guilty of plotting against the Count, though no coup was ever attempted. I stand by the statement that the Count died in his sleep and I stand by the statement that my family and I have committed no crimes against the crown, barring Gildos' transgressions in Glad Claddach, which I have dealt with in my authority as acting Governor. Since then, he has devoted his life to the Gods and has committed no crimes other than being the son of a madman." Scrios considered his words.

"You do not mention Ferris. What of him?" Murtagh squirmed, the first sign of discomfort he had shown.

"Ferris is innocent, my liege. If I might make one request, incarcerate me, charge me of whatever you must, but please, give Ferris a chance. He has a good mind and has Felandris' skill as an architect. He is innocent by all reckoning. If there were any member of our family worthy of your praise, it would be he."

Scrios stared at the young man before him for a long moment before turning and walking toward the window beside the throne, staring out at the Loche Aberdeene. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"I will take Ferris with me to build the Monastery on the northern shore. You shall remain here to manage the city and supply us. Gildos shall also join me, as a man of the cloth his input will be most useful. If I like what I see in Ferris, I shall allow him to take on the title of Count from your father, yes he was your father and I expect you to continue his namesake as a generous and noble man of the people."

"You are merciful, my liege," Murtagh bowed. "May I asked, what of Ula and my mother?"

"Ula is married to a Carnoustie. She has left the name Felandris behind and so shall remain in Dunn as is her choice. Morganna, however..." he considered the woman's fate for a moment longer, then shook his head. "Morganna is exiled. She shall never return to perth again. That shall be your pound of flesh." A cold chill ran through Murtagh and he swallowed. "Does this sound fair?"

"It does, my liege."

"Good. You are dismissed." Murtagh rose and left the hall. Scrios remained still for a long moment before sighing heavily again and turning to leave.

Murtagh left the hall and hurried up the steps and out of the castle. As he reached the city streets, the people bowed to let him pass. He was revered by the people now, and many saw him as the count Felandris was supposed to be. Since his father's death, Murtagh had taken control of Tremaine and restored order to the city. The soldiers who had been conscripted were released from their duty and construction had resumed on additional farms outside the city walls to feed the ever growing population. Murtagh himself tried to ignore the praise as best he could. His jaw was working as he descended the steps to the agricultural district and arrived at the Felandrison Cairn. He stared into the black depths and quickly hurried down the stone steps. It took a long time to descend into the Cairn's open maw, but when he reached the base he stepped into the tomb of his father to find Morganna, Gildos, Ferris, Ula and Braven, who had remained to assist however possible. Murtagh clapped his brother-in-law on the shoulder as he walked in, he had grown to admire Braven a great deal and trusted his wisdom.

"How did it go?" Gildos asked as Murtagh stepped into the chamber.

"Well, I think," he nodded. "For the time being, we have been stripped of the title of count. However, when the King goes to construct the monastery, he wants you and Ferris with him. You will help build the monastery, and if you do well, Ferris, you will assume the title of count." Ula gasped and looked at her little brother, who stared back at Murtagh. At twenty years old, Ferris was no child anymore, however his two brothers still towered over him, and his fine clothing and noble education could do little to hide the youth and inexperience in his eyes. He looked at him mother, who beamed at him.

"This is your chance, darling," Morganna said, cupping his face in her hands. "you're going to be great,"

"Me?" Ferris asked.

"Aye, little brother," Murtagh said, stepped down into the middle of the chamber and clapping a hand on his brother's shoulder. "You'll have our support, as much as you need it, and the King will be on hand as well."

"The king?" Ferris asked. "I've never even met him before?"

"You will. He is anxious to meet you," Murtagh promised.

"mother?" Ferris asked. Morganna pulled him into a close embrace and petted his hair. Gildos shifted his weight from one foot to the other and Ula watched Murtagh; his shoulders and stiffened and his face expressionless...there was something wrong.

"Why not you, or Gildos?" She asked.

"Gildos has committed crimes against the crown. Although pardoned from them and a changed man, his history forbids him from taking on a Countship."

"And you?" Gildos asked. Murtagh shrugged.

"I didn't want it. I shall continue to look after Glas Claddach and Tremaine, that's enough for me." Ula watched him closely. He was lying. An awkward silence fell and all eyes slowly turned to the diorite tomb beside them. Six weeks ago, they had attended the funeral, which brought Felandris. body from the castle to the Cairn, where it was then lowered on a rope strung from the roof of the dome, before being encased in stone here. To one side of the tomb stood a small set of wooden steps which rose to allow someone to view the lid of the tomb, on which was carved the words:

Here lies Felandris, first of his name, the first count of Carriskshire.
Devoted father, loving husband, and great leader.

Every words was a lie, and everyone in this room knew it. Yet, to maintain their own name and standing, it was a lie they would have to live by.

"We had better get started preparing for the trip," Gildos said. "C'mon Ferris, we should check out the ships and make sure production is going according to plan." Ferris looked at his mother, who nodded, before moving toward Gildos and following his brother from the room. As they left, Ula moved to Murtagh's side and touched his arm.

"What of us?" She asked.

"You are wed to Braven; you no longer bear the name Felandrison and hold no guilt." Murtagh explained.

"And mother?" Ula asked. Murtagh looked at Morganna then, his eyes fixed on her eyes. He remembered the night of the count's death. She had screamed as he had tried to remove her, pounded her fists against his chest even as he dragged her screaming from the corpse of her husband. After all these years she still loved him, and having killed him had destroyed her. She was not the woman Murtagh had sat with beneath the oak tree at Glas Claddach, she was hollow now, a part of her dead inside.

"Morganna is to be exiled. She will leave Perth and never return." Ula gasped sligthly as Morganna looked up at her son. His face was expressionless and she knew he would not fight for her. He loved his brothers and sister. They were safe and that was all he cared about.

"Will you not help her?" Ula asked.

"She killed our father," Murtagh said, still not looking away. "She brought the eye of suspicion upon our family. She disobeyed my direct order and left Glas Claddach. She jeopardized our lives. No, I will not fight for her." Morganna looked away, tears filling her eyes. Ula began to pace.

"Will you do something?" she asked, turning to Braven.

"This is Murtagh's family. I would not cross him." Braven shook his head.

"Damn you!" Ula yelled, then looked at Murtagh. "Damn you and your self-righteousness! It's our mother! You would leave her to exile?"

"No," Murtagh said, turning from Morganna at last to look at his sister. "I would leave her to the punishment for her crimes which the King sees fitting. I lied to his face to save her and this family. If he chooses exile it is mercy compared to what could have been.

"It is no mercy to be taken from my children," Morganna breathed. She moved toward the tomb and placed a hand on the cool stone, leaning heavily against it. "I am sorry you see me this way, truly." She said, her back to them. "But exile is not life. If this is the King's decision, then spare me the agony."

"Mother, stop talking like that!" Ula yelled.

"The King was final." Murtagh stated. Morganna's shoulder began to shake as a cry escaped her lips like a rasping ghost.

"Then I have nothing left to take." Crimson flashed across the stone as the dagger split across her skin, slicing her throat open. Braven grabbed Ula and pulled her to him as she screamed, burying her face in his chest. She beat against him but he would not let her go. Murtagh watched his mother convulse on the stone floor, a pool of red forming around her, before turning to Braven and Ula.

"She took her own life rather than face exile." He said simply. "What do you think Ferris will make of this? Do you think she even thought of that?" Ula glared at him from beneath Braven's arm before Murtagh swept from the chamber, leaving Braven to usher Ula from the room.

The sun was setting as Gildos and Ferris stood on the docks watching the first of two vast ships being built to accommodate the movement of men and supplies to the site of the monastery. They were to be the flagships of the Perthian fleet in Loche Aberdeene, the most prominent ships on these waters and their maiden voyage would carry the two brothers and the king to new lands. As they watched the sailors erect the first mast, there was the sound of marching feet which made them turn. A man, taller than any they had seen before, with curled ginger hair and thick beard marched toward them, a thick black cloak wrapped around his vast form and a crown of gold upon his helm. Around him marched his usual honor guard, who stopped as the king reached the two boys. Both fell to their knees immediately, staring at the oak planks beneath them. Gently, the king lowered both hands and touched them on the heads.

"Rise," he commanded. It was one word, but Ferris could feel the power the king wielded. Instantly, he was standing again, though he dared not look the king in the eye. "Present yourselves."

"I...we..." Gildos stammered.

"I am Ferris, third son of Felandris," Ferris spoke up. "And this is my brother, Gildos, second son of Felandris, and brother of the Creeper's Order. Sire." He added quickly. Scrios seemed to smile beneath his beard.

"An honor to meet you," he nodded his head slightly, before looking out at the ship. "One ship being built. I was told there would be two on our venture,"

"There will be sire," Ferris explained, turning as the King stood beside him. "he second is still having the hull built in the dry dock. We hope to have both ships ready by the end of the year, if the winter is good."

"And if it is not?" Ferris blanched.

"Er...maybe a bit longer?"

"Maybe is no good. First rule of governing, always deal in absolutes. If you don't know what's going on, how can you command your subjects?" Ferris nodded quickly. "And what of you, brother Gildos? Excited for this trip?"

"My lord, I am honored you chose me to accompany you. I do hope I will not disappoint."

"I am sure you won't." Scrios said, turning to leave. He paused and placed a hand on Ferris' shoulder. It was a large hand, almost as big as Ferris' head, and the weight nearly made Ferris' knees buckle.

"Murtagh was right about you...I think you'll do fine."

PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 2:13 pm 
Count

I.. teared up. A little.

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 4:21 pm 
Duke

AWWWWWW SO CUUUTEEEEE.
But I mean also brutal as fuck. Jesus. She slit her throat..

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: August 13th, 2015, 11:46 pm 
Duke

Yep. Dead people. Best endings end with dead people

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 5:39 am 
Duke

*applause*

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 6:06 am 
Duke