All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Felandris of Innean
PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 10:27 pm 
Duke

Felandris of Innean is a name which has become renowned throughout the Kingdom of Perth and beyond. In his life, brief so it has been, he has risen from strife and squalor to become one of the most accomplished architects in Perth.

His life began in the city of Gu H'ard Carraig in the Ilminite Coast. There he was born to a young couple whose names have been lost. When he was but a boy of seven the city was attacked by bandits and in the conflict both his parents were slain before his eyes. He, along with many of the other settlers, fled to Innean and Strathceird to escape the bandits tyranny. Following a short battle, which was to be known as the Siege of Gu H'ard Carraig, in the 394th year of the Empire, the city was razed and now only ruins remain.

He grew up in Innean to a farmer named Robert, who took him in and showed him how to work the land. When he eventually came of age, the farmer had acquired two new children and so Felandris bade him farewell and left to find his own fortunes. He began work as a stone mason under the Duchess Sameria, and later her daughter Samaia, and quickly rose through the ranks to become a leading architect.

Drawn back to the coast, and the ruins of his old home, Felandris found the old city of Gu H'ard Carraig to be inhospitable, with treacherous tunnels hiding dark secrets and infertile soil, unsuitable for farming. However, closer to the coast, he found a fertile hill overlooking a bay with amply space for development and construction. So he petitioned the Duke for permission to build a city here. With the Duke's blessing, Felandris founded the city of Glas Claddach in the 413th year of the Empire.

Here follows a letter which was sent from Felandris to his adopted Uncle Robert of Innean in the 415th year of the Empire:

Uncle Robert

I hope this season finds you well. I hear the crop this year is very good at Innean. How is Aunt Barb? I hope she and you are coping with the extra mouth to feed now Ferris has been born.

The city is going very well, we expect to finish construction of the main hall this week, and starting tomorrow we are due to commence construction of several new buildings to house the influx of new settlers. Our stores are filling and soon we will have enough resources to aid in the construction of the Imperial City. What an honor it will be to finally roam those hills. The King has requested assistance in the capital from all corners of Perth, and Duchess Samaia has personally asked me to assist in the city's construction.

I also write to you with great personal news, Uncle. Do you remember when I last wrote about the girl, Morgana, who moved to Glas Claddach two summers ago? She has been a real asset to the city, and has a great love for the animals here. All the local farmers call on her when their livestock falls ill. With her help, Glas Claddach has really taken off. Well, I finally asked her to marry me, and she said yes. We are to be wed in the spring, when the snow melts and the first flowers begin to bloom. All the prominent aristocracy of Perth has been invited, yourselves included of course, but with so many young ones now and the farm to manage I understand if you cannot attend. Following the wedding I intend to bring Morgana back with me to Innean to see the city there. I would be honored if you would join us for dinner?

I should go now, they're calling me to the hall; you would think they could handle a simple tower without my constant attention! Nevermind, this city will be grand in it's completion, and all will be right with the world.

Your absent friend

Felandris

Indeed Felandris did wed Morgana in the Spring of the 416th year of the Empire and that summer they bore their first child, a son by the name of Murtagh.

Felandris and Morgana would continue to build Glas Claddach and grow the city, even as Morgana went on to bear three more children in quick succession; a daughter named Ula, born in winter of 417th year of the Empire, a second son named Gildos, born in Spring of 419th year of the Empire, and a third son named Ferris in the 422nd year of the Empire.

In the 423rd year of the Empire, a proposal was put forward by Felandris of Innean for the founding of a new county in the south of Perth. The following is an account of the request, which was petitioned to the King himself, Scrios III.

Greetings friends and allies

It has come to my attention that the wealth of Perth is being overshadowed by the occurrence of several newly discovered resources, particularly several new types of stone. Naturally I was curious and my curiosity led me on a journey, long and perilous, to the southern mountains of Perth.

Along the way I faced many dangers, even losing my noble steed in the frozen rivers, a mistake I was to pay for as I still had a long journey on foot. Indeed there were many times I considered myself truly lost, but, even as my last hopes began to fade, I found them, the southern mountains along the coast of an inland sea. It was here I discovered a vast wealth of granite, diorite, and andesite, three of these new resources.

Knowing the value of such a discovery I noted the bearings of these mountains and plotted them on the scrolls from the Library at Adroan Deigh below.

My proposal is thus. I intend to build a city to be named Tremaine within the borders of the orange area. This area possesses a natural harbor in the north, which will open trade across the inland sea, and open space in the west for future settlements to be built, and fertile farmland in the south, all around a prominent point, easily defensible, and adaptable into a formidable fort. From here The surrounding cliffs and caverns are filled with these new stones and can be mined for the profit of the kingdom.

The areas marked in red would be areas for potential expansion in future years, following the success of this settlement, to be known as Carrickshire.

If this pleases my Liege, I would begin construction of the city immediately, most likely at the turn of the new Mercannum.

The request has yet to be granted, however minor construction is rumored to have begun at the site of the new city in preparation for the King's formal approval.

(Dates subject to change dependent on lore timeline)

Post subject: Re: Felandris of Innean
PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 1:13 am 
King

Warmest of Greetings, Felandris of future Carrickshire!

It is with enormous personal delight that I personally commend all of your efforts. Your work as my predecessor Sameria has told me, has been pheonomenal, and I see no reason to doubt those words from what I have witnessed already.

You have my full support in all of your future endeavours. This has been proved without a shadow of a doubt. You should be risen to the honourable rank of Count of Perth at the earliest possible convenience from the Lord Scrios the King. You have given credence to the notion that anyone can rise with hard work and dedication from the lowliest of backgrounds to become a mighty force to be reckoned with.
We have your back, good sir.

- Samaia Almandine.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 2:19 am 
King

Felandris,

I have heard nothing but good things about you and have witnessed them with my own eyes. Your ability to write, build and most importantly build relations with others are an invaluable asset to our realm, the Greater Realm of Valyria and the Empire as a whole. I will venture to your newly proposed area myself to honour you with your new County. It is more than deserved and you have my blessing.

Your King,
Scrios III of Perth

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 9:10 am 
Duke

My Lord Scrios, Duke, you honour me with your words. My only wish is that my house may continue to serve the Perthian Kingdom for many generations to come. With this new county I believe that is possible.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2015, 11:44 am 
Duke

It is a terrible thing, to face one's doom. It is worse still, to live knowing you failed. There are many things that can be said of Count Felandris of Innean, that he did not have his fair share of hardships was not one of them. Indeed, in only his fourth year of countship, in the 429th year of the Emperor, the Count, now 42 winters old, faced his most agonizing defeat.

In his assistance to construct the Duchess Samaia's new northern Duchy, Felandris and a small band of workers volunteered to do work to connect the new eastern port, named Frysthamn, with the main lines of the nether. A standard task, not without its dangers, dangers the Count was well acquainted with. This tale serves then as a warning against foolhardiness, for it was the Count's own mistake which led to the disaster. Though he has never explained what happened, the scene of the incident revealed enough to tell it could easily have been avoided. Seven men lost their lives in the nether that day, and only the Count survived.

News of the incident reached Tremaine when a runner boy, who was with the men when the disaster struck, arrived with word of an accident in the tunnels. He had known it was serious, but rather than running to the Count's aid, he had been ordered by the Count himself to stay back and fetch help. While the guards of Tremaine prepared to march on foot, Ula, his daughter of only 12 summers, stole her mother's horse and rode out on the lines. When she arrived, she found her father burned and near death. She managed to get him to his horse, which had been picketed at a safe distance, before leading him back to Tremaine. There he was cared for by the healers who left this document of his wounds:

The patient suffered first degree burns to his legs and lower left side. Across his chest are banded burns not dissimilar to metal burns, presumably from where the metal of his armour had burnt into his flesh before he could remove it. Most of his hair had been singed and his entire head had to be shaved to treat his wounds. His left leg was permanently damaged, with his foot requiring amputation. He also sustained the loss of three fingers on his right hand which were too badly damaged and had to be removed following infection. His face, although damaged, was not too badly scarred, and after several days it became apparent his hair and beard would regrow to cover most of the scar tissue.

Since the incident, Morgana has been dealing with the affairs of state, and even making trips to Glas Claddach and Loitommalla to represent the Count in the construction of the town of Frysthamn, which the Count had pledge his assistance to build. On these journeys she frequently takes with her her daughter, Ula, to watch her more closely. Although only 13 summers old, Murtagh, Felandris' eldest son, travelled to Glas Claddach to begin his task of taking over governance of the city, leaving Gildos and Ferris, the two younger boys, to remain with their father in Carrishshire. There, they both assist their father in running the city and completing the design of the castle and harbour.

Felandris is still recovering from his wounds.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2015, 1:58 pm 
Count

429th year of the emperor
Letter to Sir Felandris, Count of Tremaine and noble citizen of Perth, from Mrs Biakko O'Kleefe of Wysteria.

Dear Felandris,

I was sad to hear of these dire news coming from Perth, also so soon after I had the pleasure to meet ye during yer visit in Gallen last year. Please know I share yer pain and despair in these dark events, me heart and kinde wishes are with ye.

I will be on me way as soon as I possibly can to visit ye and help anyway I can. I'll also bring ye a potted cactus, traditional here in Chester-le-Ford... Anyway.

Also know that I shall be there for yer daughter should she need whatever. Me doors are open and such.

May ye still live a long and peaceful life, and may ye live forever through your masterful worke in Tremaine and also other places.

Yers truly, with kinde regards, Mrs Biakko O'Kleefe.

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: July 24th, 2015, 3:01 pm 
Duke

Biakko

My father sends his thanks for your kind words. Your friendship is greatly appreciated in Tremaine. I am merely sorry my father could not write you personally.

My mother also send her regards and best wishes for yourself and tahnks you for your promise of a cactus. I must admit, my brother and I have only read about them and we look forward to it with great anticipation.

My thanks again for your kind words
Gildos, son of Felandris

PostPosted: July 24th, 2015, 5:25 pm 
King

A disastrous moment. The hellscape that is the Nether may be 'tamed' in our eyes in some sections, but we are an insignificant blip in the face of an enormous, uncaring alternate dimension. Every one reading this should take the greatest of care travelling through it.

I have sent for the royal physicians to be transferred to Tremaine for your health, Count Felandris. I would have my close allies alive and well.

Say the word and you will have it, the Nation of Perth is at your disposal.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2015, 8:24 pm 
Duke

Warning, the following lore is getting very dark.

The flames flickered and died to thunderous applause as Ferris straightened up, grinning as his birthday cake was taken away to be cut. His mother ruffled his hair as his brother, Gildos, cheered. It was his eighth birthday and they were celebrating in Tremaine's Ceilidh Hall. All the children of Tremaine had been invited and a jester had been hired to entertain them. His loving mother had spared no expense, as she never did when doting on her children. Yet throughout the night there was one face the boy always missed.

"And how fares the Count?" the many courtiers would ask his mother, and every time she would reply, "He is indisposed." Even at her son's birthday party, the politics of Tremaine haunted her, and she knew it. Ula, bless her, had tried to support her mother by entertaining the adults and keeping them occupied with innocent questions of the court and their various roles. Fortunately for Morgana, the only thing grater than the courtiers' curiosity over her husband was their vanity and they would spend most of their time explaining the intricacies of their various roles to the curious thirteen year old, who succeeded in always steering the conversation away from her family with her quick wit and faster tongue.

The end of the night could not have come soon enough for Morgana, who hurried her youngest sons and daughter out of the Ceilidh hall by the rear door to avoid the crowd demanding her attention for 'just one more minute'. Indeed it was only with the assistance of Hermoch, an old friend that had joined them from Glas Claddach, that they manged to evade them and find their way back to the castle.

"Hermoch, will you read me a story before you go?" Gildos asked as Ula rolled her eyes.

"You just want to hear another story about men bashing each other with shields, don't you?" she asked, folding her arms in a motherly fashion.

"I wouldn't expect a girl to understand," Gildos sneered. Ula looked up at her mother then and did not even have to say a word before Morganna was upon him.

"And would you expect your mother not to understand?" Gildos turned bright red as Hermoch let out a small chuckle. He was a kindly man, one of the eldest in Tremaine and born from a noble family in Dunn. It was his recommendation which played no small part in Felandris' countship, and Morgana counted him one of her few friends in Tremaine.

"I would be happy to treat you to another tale, but what says your brother? He is, after all, the birthday boy," he grinned as he looked over to Ferris, who had remained quiet. Even now, as the others turned to him, he could only look up at his mother and beckon her closer. She leaned down toward him and heard him whisper in her ear, "I want Dad to read to us," Morgana remained still for a moment before straightening up and holding her son closer to her.

"I'll ask him. Why don't you go get ready for bed and I'll be through in a bit. Hermoch, could you take them?" Hermoch bowed his head and guided the children to the tower that led to their wing of the castle. Morganna watched them go before she hurried down the grand staircase to the lower hall where she knew Felandris was hiding. As night had fallen it was only the flickering torchlight which illuminated the cold, high ceilinged hall Felandris had dedicated so much of his life to designing and constructing. Even walking through these halls filled her with an imposing melancholy. Suddenly she wished she was back in the Ceilidh hall being hunted by politicians. She hated this castle. Even before the incident, it had consumed Felandris and she could do little but watch him obsess. As she arrived at his door she faltered slightly before knocking. There was no response - there never was - so she opened the door. Inside the room was dimly lit by a single candle upon a desk covered in blueprints and measuring equipment. Several filthy plates were stacked on a table by the wall along with even more empty wine bottles. Upon the desk stood another opened bottle and an unused goblet. Upon the chair behind the desk rested the bundle of rags that was her husband. The room filled her nostrils with a stench she found reminded her of her younger days when she would tend to wounded farm animals at Glas Claddach. Then it was a smell of hard work and determination. Now...she did not know what the smell was, but she knew it was not her husband. She approached the table and the figure stirred, gazing at her with one half-opened eye. His beard was unkempt and the scar on his face looked raw and irritated. She swallowed.

"Your son wants to see you." She said simply. He grunted, turning way from her. "Hermoch is with them now." silence fell.

"Hermoch is a good man," Felandris spoke at last, his voice cracking as if he hadn't used it in several days. He reached for the wine bottle and lifted it to his lips. He set it down heavily before heaving himself from the chair, grabbing his cane.

"He is a good man," she agreed, "But he's not you. Felandris, Ferris wants his father back."

"And I want my leg back!" Felandris snapped, his voice rising as he struck the cane against the table, turning suddenly to her. For a moment his force and determination reminded her of how he once had been. It sickened her that she had to taunt him to get him to act human again. She let out a hollow laugh.

"Your leg? Come on, we both know this isn't about your leg!"

"You don't know anything," Felandris said, turning to the window to look out over the bay.

"It's a foot, Felandris!" she yelled, hitting her fist off the table. "It's a fucking foot! It's been a year and you've barely left this office! Your sons and daughter need you!"

"They're managing without me," he dismissed.

"Managing? They miss you! Murtagh is in Glas Claddach, doing your job for you!"

"And he's doing it well,"

"He's fourteen! When you were fourteen, did Uncle Robert leave you in charge of running Innean?"

"He left me in charge of the farm," Felandris countered, "And then he left me without a home the next year!" She stared at him for a long moment.

"He loved you. He still loves you. He gave you everything and all you can do is sit here in your own filth and blast him to hell!"

"What else can I do?" Felandris yelled, waving a wand in the air before it connected with the wine bottle again. She watched him take a long swig before replying.

"You could sober up." she offered. "Have a bath. Shave. And maybe even make it to your own son's birthday." Felandris stiffened. "You don't even know what day it is, do you? Ferris is eight today." He turned slowly, still holding the bottle as he hobbled back to the desk, the cane supporting most of his weight.

"Happy birthday to him." He sneered as he leaned forward and blew out the candle.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2015, 9:54 pm 
Duke

MOAR

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu