All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 17th, 2015, 12:54 am 
Settler

The mapmaker thought about whistling as he rode through the forest, but the stars above told him that silence would likely be the safer course of action. Of course, had he actually camped for the night, 'safety' wouldn't have been on his mind. Horatio hadn't been in Ertia very long, but already the area was starting to grow on him. The stars were a blanket, one that he could navigate by; the moon, a constant beacon and counterbalance to the sun. Even the clouds and rain were a blessing on a hot day. Anything besides that blasted red rock...

His mind wandered back to his journey here, not too long ago. The hospitable folks from Edhevrand had given him some food and directions once King Arjen's decree had arrived. They told him the fastest way anywhere was through the nether lines, a large series of ethereal passages that were still being built and refined to this day. Following their map, he found the portal waiting just as anticipated.

Stepping through, he was surprised to find himself in a modestly dug out area with nice clear signs. Walls and stone paths showed that this area had been set up specifically for the town some time ago. Horatio started walking swiftly down the path, nervously glancing through any existing openings. He could see lava flows and pigmen in the areas outside the barrier... While grateful that none of the silent ones could be found here, his mind was still troubled. The nether had always been a challenging place to be in for him, with its mostly monochromatic stone and lack of a day/night cycle. If one got lost down here, it became a horrible nightmare to try and retrace your steps. Even a mind as good as his at charting its path was not immune to this. No sky above and the constant heat made it a place he did not envy being in - let alone being by himself walking down a long corridor following a rough map.

Amazingly, he had met one Mrs Biakko O'Kleefe in the nether lines, who just so happened to be riding with a spare horse in tow. She lead him back to her home in Wysteria for some odd-tasting tea. A local variety, perhaps? His memory was a little hazy as to the conversation, but remembered that she was very intense with her questions. Her governess seemed rather perturbed as well, for some reason. When their chat had concluded, however, she graciously gifted him with a sturdy, brown horse, some generous provisions and directions on how to return to the hub.

It took him a bit of time to re-orient himself back to where he had come from - oddly longer than usual, but he just chalked it up to being overly-excited. Finally re-discovering the Wysterian portal, he was able to make it back to the imperial hub, just in time to encounter his new liege arriving. King Arjen graciously showed him the currently developed lands, and even granted him some of the resources of the land, encouraging him to head off in search of a place to start calling home...

Horatio smiled, as he crossed into another biome. His search would take him several days, and he would risk the nether lines to get between cities a few times, before finally settling in...

Cartographer / Explorer / User of Big Words

PostPosted: August 17th, 2015, 2:30 am 
King

Good luck and fortune to the newest of Ertia's settlers!

I have heard that there have been a wave of newcomers recently, missives from my courtiers in foreign lands have informed me of such comings and goings.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2016, 7:58 pm 
Settler

Horatio gazed out from the parapet, and breathed in the day's fresh air. Nary a cloud in the sky passed, and the sky was as blue as the day he had arrived here. Still, his gaze fell upon the dead town... as empty as when he'd first found it upon arrival on the island. Veiled in mist, he knew what had been there - or what had remained. The Pit, the gaping maw in the center of town that had seemingly swallowed up its citizens, leaving only 1 madman behind. Unable to save the man, that had been his first... kill. He had fought many beasts and unnatural beings before, but never a human. Never one that could have been saved, had he known the way. In time, he has rationalized it as a mercy killing. But the look in the wild, wide eyes of the lunatic had never left him. Nor the expression when his sword had ended the man's life; he had hoped it would bring some amount of peace, but if nothing else it just made the pain last for eternity. He had laboured hard to make sure no on else living on the island ever had to witness that themselves.

Even on a beautiful day, sometimes it is hard to face the sun as it rises, because you know you have to become the cloud that obscures it for others.

"But sir... you don't need to go. Any of us - all of us! - would gladly take up this cause. The guild has grown strong under you watch, and the summons says nothing..."

"Yes, my friend, we have and no it doesn't. Indeed, we could throw a hundred soldiers against the darkness and hope to turn the tide. But there will always be some challenges that need only the most experienced of hands. If I should fall, then you do have permission to take up the fight in my name. Defend the island and the port, to the end." The master chuckled, "No pun intended."

Marcambo, his oldest pupil scowled at him, but Horatio raised a hand to calm him. "This is non-negotiable. I will not risk the safety of the island, neither the town nor the port. I know I am not a young man anymore, but if I can succeed in one more final act to protect this land from what they claim is happening, then my life will have been worth it."

"But you've..."

"Enough! This is not a discussion. I am leaving, and one way or another you are in charge here now. I expect you to fulfill those duties in my absence. Either I shall return... or else this will," said the guildmaster, holding up an envelope. "There is one item you must know about. In the library is another chest, one I have put there myself in recent days. The key is in this envelope, which I shall be leaving with Ralth, in the town. If word returns that I am amongst the fallen, then you are to go to him and ask for it. Then it, and the guild, shall be yours. Now, I must prepare... it is almost time for my departure."

Marcambo looked forlornly at his old teacher for a moment before pulling him into a firm hug. As the old friends shared this last moment of camaraderie, thoughts of their past adventures and misadventures came flooding back, making the moment seem like forever. When finally they parted, Marcambo spoke, his voice breaking, "May the Blue Star guide you, and bring you back to us." As he climbed down the ladder from the parapet, the new guildmaster was grateful for the brief moment of solitude to allow him to compose himself, before heading out to find and inform the others.

Passing on his rounds, the adventurer stopped in the map hall, gazing over the changes and admendments that had been made in his time here. Under Arjen III, not only had they kept the only native town safe, but had established a full port to the sound, and bridge to the mainland to the northeast. His original notes and scribbles in the margins were so faded, yet his mind was sharp enough to recall most of them. Especially upon discovering the Scar Of The Land. That would be the test of Marcambo - to explore that crevasse and its mineshaft, to see what could be recovered. One he had never been able to bring himself to achieve; a regret, perhaps - but if so, it was his sole remaining one.

Taking only those possessions they could spare, he left the guild hall and mounted up. As he began to ride North towards Port Burwell, he gave a long gaze at the edifice they had built. It wasn't fancy, but he'd never been one for creative design - at least, not physically. It was strong, functional, and efficient. From there, he and his pupils had been able to watch over the island. Even as the ender threat had increased, they had found ways to match it.

But when he received notice of what might be causing that threat, and plans to deal with it, everything had crystallized. A decision that day was the key turning in the lock of his mind, shutting the door behind him.

Looking up at one of the banners blowing in the wind, he remembered when they had been graced with that crest.

The Blue Star will not fall. Not as long as he still held breath.

Taking a slight detour on his way to the town, Horatio checked on the mainland bridge. It was the last item that he'd overseen knowing that, with the king's port in the South, having a stable link to carry across goods and people to and from the continent without having to rely on ferries and boats would provide for the wealth and well-being of both travellers, explorers and locals. Allowing them easy access to the land's resources had seemed like such a simple idea, he wondered why no one had ever done it before.

Turning west, he headed to the familiar town he had called home for many years. The townsfolk nodded at him in greeting as he made his way through the houses towards the well. Ralth, the current scribe, smiled as the adventurer approached. "Good day, my friend. After the rains of the past few days, I'm relieved to see the sun again."

Horatio grinned, "You would think, living on an island, that the rains would never be a bother. That you'd grow used to them. Did I ever tell you that when I first arrived in Hermetia, it was in the middle of a thunderstorm?"

"Once or twice, I believe," said the scribe.

"It is a good story. Now however, I fear another storm is approaching, one worse than we've seen in our lifetimes. Like before, I'm choosing once again to ride out into the rain to meet it head-on, lest the sunny days decide to leave us for good."

"Did I ever tell you that you speak in riddles too often for my liking?" said the villager.

Horatio smiled, "Once or twice. Don't worry, I'm not here to confound you today... only to give you this." Taking the envelope from his saddlebags, he handed it over to the scribe. "Give this to Marcambo, should he come asking about it. There's a letter inside, as well as a key. He knows what they are for; only give it to him if he says that 'the Blue Star has gone down.' I will see that he gets that message, should the need arise and I don't want him to just come a few days after I'm gone to take what he doesn't need yet. Please, my friend... if nothing else, you must do this for me."

"Alright. But where are you going, to make such an ominous request?"

"I don't want to tell you... but it is as far as I can go. Should I come back, I'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know." Turning away, the rider nodded solemnly, "Farewell, my friend. Until we meet again."

Guiding his horse down the path to the portal he'd discovered, Horatio stopped momentarily at the junction to look up at the guild hall once more. Its steadfast watch would continue, whether he survived this encounter or not. It was for its sake that he undertook this alone; the drive to protect what he'd built would keep him going if nothing else. He'd left his former homeland a lifetime ago with nothing but his clothes and his wits. Under Arjen's protection, he had thrived and made a new life here. But his Arjen was gone, and now the son ruled. They got along fine, but it was not the same.

Things were about to change, one way or another. While he was a man who never wanted only one solution to a problem, he had learned enough to know this was to be an exception to that rule. Turning away with wetness in his eyes, the guildmaster rode to the nether gateway and past its pillars. As the portal began to take him from the island, he held his head high, proud of everything that had been accomplished here. He was ready to face the present in defense of its future, no matter what the cost.

Cartographer / Explorer / User of Big Words