All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:14 pm 
King

Mark Stefan wrote:
People are not going to want to touch that, I'd feel. I was told that it was perhaps possible to do this, yet I wanted to avoid what I perceived as healthy controversy and settled far to the East. You've got a great point, but I'd feel that no one would touch those areas still.

Something similar has happened in the past, which means this has a bit of precedent. Back in the old world, realms were "pre-determined" (for lack of a better word) and given borders despite having no true count, duke, or king to rule them. We could break the two kingdoms up into multiple counties and make it known that these counties are open for new serfs, or established citizens, to claim. If the two Kings would ever return, the new counties in question, should they still be unclaimed, would be returned to them. Otherwise, they are up for grabs to those with a proper claim.

of River's End

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:18 pm 
King

Eleazar wrote:
The crux of the issue is that we, as a server, still need to bring in new awesome people. However, to do that we have to be able to appeal to them and within the realm of what minecraft/Hermertia can offer. If all the new people see our current realm borders, with huge inactive kingdoms taking up a lot of the central map, it not only makes them think that they will have to build in the borderlands but also that the server is less populated and connected than what we want it to seem.

I have a very central location in Hermertia, if I started today and thought I'd have to find somewhere on the edge, I honestly don't know if I could stay with it.

I think this point is rather weak. The entire point of the new fast travel law is to connect the far reaches of the empire, and allow players to be closer than ever despite their location. Is settling slightly further away from the core of the empire really going to deter someone from connecting to others now and enjoying their experience?

of River's End

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:19 pm 
King

Revised borders?

**Waits patiently impatiently.

What's this? Good thing I invested so much time in building overworld roads and civilising testificate villages across Greater Minerva!

To th task at hand: I tend to lean towards Arjen's reasoning.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:27 pm 
King

The Regent wrote:
Revised borders?

**Waits patiently impatiently.

What's this? Good thing I invested so much time in building overworld roads and civilising testificate villages across Greater Minerva!

To th task at hand: I tend to lean towards Arjen's reasoning.

This brings up an incredible point, thank you Regent! You are proof that the process can work. Many did not think that you would return to our world, and I believe that there were even talks at one point of giving portions of Minerva to other suitors. However, this did not occur and here you stand a year later as a contributor to our great world once again! I have a hard time giving currently claimed land away when there are ample opportunities for expansion elsewhere. Especially with the recently passed "fast travel bill."

of River's End

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:42 pm 
King

I agree. I could imagine situations where internal/civil cases can be made for eating up portions of previously active overlords, and other rare cases. But meh, being conservative doesn't hurt. Let's fill in our vastness preferably first. Like Mark said, he 'could' have fought for crown lands, but opted for elsewhere. I don't think it's such a bad thing if that's how it plays out 9/10 times.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:44 pm 

We're getting the King of Khabranth on Mumble tonight, he finally responded. We'll see what his verdict is.

New people just flat out are not going to bother looking into what is claimed land.

Another interesting point was just brought up: Huge empty kingdoms hurt the server by making it look inactive.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:54 pm 
Duke

Everything of value was left inside the proposed borders. If the king of khabranth and isilioth ever came back, they'd still have all of their work in their land. We will never take that away from them. If they come back, they can also reclaim their reduced land if they have the desire or means to develop them. But the land would also be available for new people to come and settle. Also if dawnstar wanted any of the land, he has to apply to the council for it. If it is deemed he doesnt deserve it, simply vote against it.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:55 pm 
King

Since the conversation fairly involves extreme (dichotometric) positions, it's worth adding one.

What if, hypothetically, a super awesome king with a giant entourage of allies and nobles under him or her, suddenly gets cancer, and is away for a few years battling it. Do we consider him/her an unattractive aspect of the community re: inviting newcomers and off his/her land? Obviously this is an extreme case. That's why I err on the side of conservativisim. Ppl can lose land, but let's do so sparingly and in piecemeal. I think Arjen's perspectives have been poignant and elucidating.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:59 pm 
Duke

Quote:
What if, hypothetically, a super awesome king with a giant entourage of allies and nobles under him or her, suddenly gets cancer, and is away for a few years battling it. Do we consider him/her an unattractive aspect of the community re: inviting newcomers and off his/her land?

We would be relatively in contact with him and in contact with the people under him. Khabranth and Isilioth have gone completely quite and they have no vassals. There is no activity whatsoever in their land. It seems silly to keep all this land closed on the off chance that they come back for an extended period of time.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2016, 12:03 am 
King

But do we just say, 'too bad, you lose it all!' or do we do what Arjen said, and wait until their is a pretty damn good case for it? Once our insane vastness fills up, I'm sure such claims would become less 'rare' and more 'commonplace' then anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next