All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:28 am 
King

Ave.

As we have been discussing recently in our public forum (mumble)
We have decided that thoroughly inactive Kings should have their holdings reduced significantly to free up valuable nearby space for others to move into. That's not to say that they lose their Kingdom status: The right to being a King/Queen is divine and always will be.

- Their lands will be reduced in a fair manner to reflect their inactivity.
- Their existing main areas will be included in their reduced border sizes.
- Some small areas outside of the borders that have seen habitation will become untouchable historical areas, and may be subsumed into further expanding settled areas in future.
- Kingship, upon reactivation from their abdicated state by the Council, will resume as normal within diminished lands.
- Additional land may be claimed as usual like any other Count/Duke if required for further expansion once all other space has been used up.

Current mock up of areas for change in Isilioth: Dark shaded golden area is the proposed amount, with the lighter yellow filled in area the previous kingdom space which will now be unclaimed territory:

And Khabranth:

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:35 am 
Duke

So isilioth would only have the darker area?

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:36 am 
Duke

Yes, the green/gold area on the border of the Imperial Sea.

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:41 am 
Duke

Hmm it seems a bit small tbh. We've never done this type of thing in the past so I think we should definitely discuss it a bit before proceeding ahead with it and most certainly look towards the indoles Carta and see if any of it applies here.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:44 am 

All of these areas are large enough twice over for a Kingdom.

In the Carta:

Code:
a) Having established in their realm 2 duchies, comprised of 6 counties, as determined in unison by the Council of the Crowned.

There are anywhere from 12-16 counties in these areas, if you go by biome grouping alone.

Also, there are powers in the Indoles Carta that allow for the entire dissolution of Kingdoms:

Code:
c) Dissolved - This is only to be used if deemed absolutely necessary by the Council. A vote for kingdom dissolution must be made completely unanimously by all Active AND Inactive members of the Council, Proxy Dukes may not vote for dissolution and involuntary inactive kings are still counted towards the number of members of the Council for this. A dissolved kingdom is broken apart, all Duchies/Counties that were under the control of dukes/counts in that nation become independent holdings under the council with all the rights that entails. If the council decides so, serfs may have a county set aside for them to work until the council deems them ready for advancement to Count under normal voting procedures for rank ascension. Duchies/Counties whose technical Liege-Lord was the previous monarch shall be set aside as Historical Site, and my not be altered, and shall be referred to as "County/Duchy X of the Former Kingdom of Y" The kingdom itself shall be used as a term for a geographic area instead of a political boundary from then on.

The Council certainly has the power to reduce these areas in size.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:51 am 
Duke

I'm saying we should discuss it, not saying it's not possible and yes. They are large areas, but out of the interest of the people I still consider to be friends (Nick who is getting the smallest of the two after already having land taken away without his notification...) I believe we could be more lenient... there is still tonnnnneeessss of space in the world, soooo much. Didn't realize this was a necessity.

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 5:00 am 

Gimpy IV wrote:
I'm saying we should discuss it, not saying it's not possible and yes. They are large areas, but out of the interest of the people I still consider to be friends (Nick who is getting the smallest of the two after already having land taken away without his notification...) I believe we could be more lenient... there is still tonnnnneeessss of space in the world, soooo much. Didn't realize this was a necessity.

Right.

My argument would be this:

1. Khabranth has had incredible long periods of inactivity and lack of builds.

2. Isilioth is still legally abdicated. He has not bothered to come back. There are next to no builds in those lands.

3. These occupy huge areas in the center of the Empire, much of them near to other players and also close to developed nether lines.

4. This forces new players to move to far out reaches of the Empire, leading to less of a chance of those players staying with the server as they are less likely to interact with other players.

5. They occupy prime lands in terms of biomes (mesa, jungle, other rarer biomes)

6. They occupy huge amounts of lands that could go to other players that would do more with them.

7. They occupy lands along coastlines that could be used by players for the purpose of fast maritime travel. Currently, this is limited to one per realm per player. Considering their inactivity, no fast travel spots will ever be built in these areas.

8. These huge areas were given to these Kings because they came from the Old World, with the intention they would be filled in. That cannot happen so long as they are owned by people who either have abdicated or literally lost their "borrowed" minecraft account.

9. There is no requirement that Kingdoms occupy 10-15 times the amount of land needed to legally be voted in as a new King.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 5:11 am 
Duke

The point is to make the areas as small as possible. They hold a lot of land that cant be used currently because neither of these kings have been seen in almost a year. I've been against splitting up these kingdoms in the past, especially isilioth because i would love if Robert came back. But they just take up so much land that is now useless to anyone. Im still upset about Sam splitting up the kingdom overnight without discussing anyone, but thats what this is here for. Discussion.

The land is not being immediately given away or sold, but will remain unclaimed. If either of the Kings ever come back, they can always reclaim parts of the land that they lost. Until then, it will be open for anyone to apply for and settle on. There has been little to no communication with the inactive Kings in the past year and even less indication they will come back.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 5:12 am 

Siden Rua wrote:
The point is to make the areas as small as possible. They hold a lot of land that cant be used currently because neither of these kings have been seen in almost a year. I've been against splitting up these kingdoms in the past, especially isilioth because i would love if Robert came back. But they just take up so much land that is now useless to anyone. Im still upset about Sam splitting up the kingdom overnight without discussing anyone, but thats what this is here for. Discussion.

The land is not being immediately given away or sold, but will remain unclaimed. If either of the Kings ever come back, they can always reclaim parts of the land that they lost. Until then, it will be open for anyone to apply for and settle on. There has been little to no communication with the inactive Kings in the past year and even less indication they will come back.

For example, the King of Khabranth has not responded to Sam on Snapchat for around a year.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 5:15 am 
Duke

I'm not sure about this. On the one hand, I think leaving these spaces empty until the Kings (maybe) return to fill them is not a great option, but on the other, this is unprecedented. The Council does have the power to dissolve kingdoms, but only with every active and inactive King's approval and dissolution is different than affecting their claimed areas. I also get the sense that if these Kings return, they will be none to pleased about what has been done. Finally, I don't see this as necessary considering how much land still remains free in New Hermertia and the size of the two duchies that would benefit immediately from this. Despite being one of the smallest independent duchies, the GRHH still has room for me to build for years without making new claims, so I don't understand why these duchies, which are much larger, need more room.