All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 12th, 2016, 4:47 pm 
King

Attention fellow Mercurians. The below announcement has been retracted by the foreign affairs offices of Greater Minerva. It is no longer in effect. The office would also like to extend an apology to the community and to whom will remain unnamed for our hasty announcement. We should have consulted with the Council before releasing the below press release.

The following announcement has not been communicated to anyone yet, so I wanted to keep it relatively informal and begin through the commons.

Greetings dearest friends, allies, a comrades,

I grew up in the archives of Temple Oak, learning about Minerva and the Empire's history and past. Minerva has many special relationships, too many to elucidate here. But I wanted to raise one in particular.

Many moons ago, Minerva, before Greater Minerva, established a bond with a then new nation out of the fires of conflict. There is no ill will to the opponent of this conflict, but it is true the Regent of the time, a fateful and historic Regent, took a lot of ire for his principled defence of conservativism. He defended the Freehold System, not because he loved it, but because it was law. As such, he defended the right of Kings at the time to defend nations as they pleased, a part of the Freehold policy. Due to conflicting accounts about aggression, the Regent at the time opted to defend a then new and unknown newcomer to the Empire. The Karaatites.

Taking a sizeable risk, the Regent wished not for this newcomer to be swallowed by the vastly expanding neighbour. The Kingdom of Minerva prompted a small campaign to defend Gimpy the First. The he had a suspicion these people would become an honoured part of the community.

The prescience of this particular Regent should be noted. Over time, Kaine has grown into one of the most identifiable characters that make up the soul of the Minervan Empire.

Since then, there has been countless tales of collaboration and friendship between Minerva and Kaine. This includes the forging of the now great Purple Line west through th unknown, which made connecting to Concordia possible. This includes the founding of a town together in the western marshes of Kaine. Stories include head butting, over TNT stocks, and include a Regent's first visit to the steep cliffs of new Kaine's first fortification. Myself, perhaps of poor taste, opted to show the current Gimpy a secret base, that no one else has seen. My predecessor also made the leader of Kaine the first professor of the still prestigious University of Alcona. The stories go on and on.

I recognize the requirements for infrastructure, and once I return to the New World following my travels, I will audit these. But I can say confidently that Gimpy IV and the great and noble Kaine has showcase all other necessary attributes.

I would like to formally nominate Gimpy for the long overdue ascension of Kaine. I will make my formal vote upon my arrival to Kaine.

I know this process began, but was stalled in the past due to my predecessor. Therefore I find myself weighed by a certain sense of duty to kickstart this process again.

Disclosure: I have not been in communication with said nominee with regards to this announcement. I will surely be as much as surprise to them as it is to everyone else.

Last edited by The Regent on July 13th, 2016, 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2016, 10:45 pm 
Duke

A most wonderful Surprise indeed! I thank you for your vote of confidence and had I not been incredibly busy with many other matters I would indeed reach out and invite you at once (Lore off: I'm a bit busy keeping 7-10 year olds from ripping each other's heads off), I must attend to many matters in my lands to continue growth, however I will gladly host you in the coming mercannum (Im home August 1st-6th).

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 12:56 am 
King

I am curious about this...

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 2:43 am 
King

A most welcome development

Gimpy already has made his application though, has he not? Did he not receive his vote from the Kingdom of Minerva a long time ago?

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 3:47 am 
Duke

I believe a fresh vote is in order but either way the post is appreciated.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 7:10 am 
King

Ahah I believe so Sam. But that was like, generations ago. If the poor chap hasn't made any progress since then, I though to rekindle the process.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 7:25 am 
King

It will go unnamed, but I have received private correspondence that assured I was not welcome making this post. Apparently Gimpy's ascension has been controversial, and someone said I have been away too long to rightfully make a statement on the matters. I'm tempted to withdraw my nomination due to such pressure, but wanted to guage the community first.

It's clear, as the law states, he needs to build up infrastructure. I've known this and heard a lot about this. So I thought a re-nomination would light the fires of momentum on this. But apologies to everyone and the person who shall remain nameless for stepping on toes.

Disclosure, on the eve of a new emperor, people are talking about the need for more kings. There hasn't been a new king in generations. I just thought to speak to that. There was another person I was seriously tempted to nominate too, but wanted to take it one step at a time. Perhaps the poster who PMd me is right though, perhaps it is wrong of me to do this. Community, should I retract my negotiation and leave it to others?

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 8:37 am 
King

Relevant updated legislation on ascension to King/Queenship, which all have no doubt reviewed but I link here for the sake of conciseness: http://hermertia.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=547

So, in my personal opinion there are a couple of issues here; not necessarily all controversial.

The first is the simple legislative requirement that votes cast in support for King/Queen ascension must take into account the infrastructure of the realm in question. This has been firmly agreed upon by the community, and is quite clear in point b) of the law which states that prospective Kings/Queens must satisfy the requirement of

Quote:
Having established safe, secure, and extensive infrastructure as is serviceable for the prospective Kingdom, and as creates a safe and secure connection with the Empire via the Nether, as determined in unison by the Council of the Crowned.

Now, the issue in question here is chiefly Gimpy's nether lines, some of which remain in a state of incompletion. Now, members of the Council are (obviously) free to interpret information and vote however they chose, but this matter to me is not at all controversial - not bestowing a vote on account of incomplete infrastructure is not only acceptable but explicitly called for in the law that we as a community have firmly agreed upon as being representative of our collective wishes concerning prospective Kingdoms.

Now the second point is the potentially somewhat murkier twin issues of whether a) Regent is free to vote/'re-nominate' Gimpy despite having been quasi-inactive and b) a combination of the shift in activity of the Council and the great time since Gimpy's initial application should require a new vote/a new application process. In principle, it is of course unequivocally clear that Regent can vote whenever he wants and for whatever reason. As for the length in time, there is certainly no law on the books (yet) imposing a time limit on applications. That said, if community feeling (beware the nebulous nature of this) seems to point towards restrictions/changes to these, than it is up to us to decide how to move forward.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 8:53 am 
King

For the record, my nomination was not a vote. As I stated at the beginning, my vote would be pending an audit of infrastructure as I fully respect the law.

That's why I posted in the Imperial Court, a place for diplomatic gestures and press conference-like announcements.

Yes, of course I have every right to post here. And I am not quasi-inactive officially at the moment.

I am just responding to the PM I received which implied even if I have the right to, I should keep my mouth shut on these topics for a while. I disagree with the sentiment, but wanted to turn to the community. If the community wishes me to halt all discussions related to nominations, recognition of other members' contributions, or related controversies, I will of course humbly acquiesce and respect the community's wishes.

Sorry for causing all this trouble. I will retract my nomination and leave it to other kings to restart gimpy's clearly stalled ascension process.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 1:10 pm 
Duke

Rant incoming:

Lol. If only people would pm me about these "controversial" issues so I can work them out. This is the first I've heard about it other then completing the blue nether line, which has been done. I mean come on, it's a freaking nomination it means very little other then that he supports me. Regent, you have every right to say what you believe and your point of view should not be told "Shut it" because you are a king, and you can feel free to say what you want. It's up to other kings to still vote for me so if they don't want to they don't have to. Instead of pming and harassing The Regent because he decided to post something maybe PM me and tell me why you aren't voting for me, and tell me how I can get your vote. Seriously guys. I've been at this process for over a year, I've been a part of the server for I believe four years now. TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO TO PLEASE YOU.

Rant done.

Duke of Kaine