All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lightning Issues
PostPosted: July 6th, 2016, 9:30 pm 
Duke

Mark Stefan wrote:
Don't worry, we've been talking about it on Mumble for a few days now. Aeries is testing out a plugin as we speak.

Yaaaaaay.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 1:53 am 
Duke

I wasn't trying to start a fight just responding in kind and trying to push the conversation forward, also it'd be a good idea to outline the plug in ideas on the website for those who can't be in mumble

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 10:09 am 
Settler

I don't want to repeat my points from the maritime travel discussion but I have to express my disappointment and sadness at the seeming inevitable creeping advancement of anti vanilla gameplay.

I hope this is the correct thread for discussion as whilst I'm aware debate often takes place in mumble I see the vote for this law having a very quick turnaround from the first post on the forum about it.

TL;DR Understandable valid points about why lighting fire is so annoying but we're advancing ever closer to completely neutering any challenge of the game & our 'vanilla ethic'

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 11:12 am 
King

a valid point Caesar.

Edit: read that you understand the validity. edging towards a less vanilla server is not the worst thing in the world. we adapt or we lose people
time and life get In the way. we want the most fun shield retaining an essentially vanilla survival game.
(the rest of this postis redundant)

we play for the fun of building and creating an awesome world with rich areas and accompanying lores. if I wanted to rebuild the same houses and spend all my time endlessly maintaining things, i would play Maintenance Simulator or Roofing Guy 2016.

This is still Vanilla Minecraft. We're making changes so that we can play it more readily, rather than deal with it constantly. It's a game at the end of the day and not a chore.

If Mojang introduced a feature where if you died your stuff was destroyed as well, in patch 1.11, that would be part of the vanilla experience. Would you agree with that addition ? Mojang makes decisions that affect us and our fun,we have the technology to deal with it to enhance our overall enjoyment.

Hope this makes sense defending the use of this feature. If you were to play as often as some of our members it's clear to see that the problem is highly frequent and makes things less fun. it's the equivalent of someone tnt griefing your place, which we wouldn't stand for and have laws and protections in place to recover.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 12:13 pm 
Settler

As good as Roofing Guy 2016 sounds I'm not suggesting rebuilding and maintanance is fun but an inherent part of vanilla minecraft. Correct me if I'm wrong but lightning was added when minecraft was still in Beta so I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare it to a hypothetical new feature.

I use the phrase creeping advancement because it seems that these laws all follow the same pattern:
- Complaint about annoying survival feature X
- Quick whip round for everyone to comment how their enjoyment is diminished hindered by feature X
- Feature X is removed

Great so thus everyone's enjoyment is enhanced, well what about fall damage. Fall damage has been in the game for a long time but it really does hinder building progess with tall structures being a hassle to build even if they do eventually get built fine they just can't be built as efficiently/easily as without fall damage. Fall damage deaths are more of an inconvience than a disater, forcing you to walk over to where you fell to collect your stuff. It's not really a challenge but more of a time wasting hassel so what does it really add to the experience?

For me, this is the same argument as that against lightning and despite personally I would prefer stuff not to get struck by lightning I can't in good conscience suggest that these features are constructive to a vanilla and traditional ethic. Sure they're good for building nicer buildings but they are directly at odd with a vanilla minecraft experience.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 1:52 pm 
Duke

To be fair, this is not the first time lightning issues have been brought up. I had a similar issue to Mark a while back, but on an even larger scale. Four large buildings in Ankylos were entirely gutted. If not caught right away, these fires can do serious damage that takes hours to repair. I think that kind of potential damage ventures beyond the threshold of mere maintenance. While stone roofs might prevent buildings from burning, that option is not available for boats. Given the current nature of lightning fires and the complex process of building boats, why would anyone bother to build boats if they were just going to be a maintenance nightmare? Lightning fires not being put out by rain is not an intended feature on Mojang's end, so if we can fix a highly-damaging bug that inhibits our ability to construct a variety of structures, why wouldn't we?

I understand your concern that there have been a couple laws moving us away from the vanilla experience lately, but I think this movement is minor and the changes being made will promote greater community interaction and player retention. I share your reservations about moving too far away from the vanilla experience, but I think issues like this being suitably addressed with minor alterations to vanilla will not drastically alter the 'vanilla' experience that makes Hermertia what it is.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 2:17 pm 
Duke

It should be mentioned that lightning was changed recently to make it strike literally 10X as much as before Ceasar, also we aren't removing the lightning itself but rather the fire the lightning would create.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 3:40 pm 

Gimpy IV wrote:
It should be mentioned that lightning was changed recently to make it strike literally 10X as much as before Ceasar, also we aren't removing the lightning itself but rather the fire the lightning would create.

Indeed. We had no issues with this until 1.9 I introduced lightning changes that resulted in most certain destruction every time it lightnings. It does literally create enough damage with a single bolt that it can take hours to repair.

I'm most happy that the Council and the House of Dukes decided to take care of this issue.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 7:32 pm 
King

Caesar wrote:

Great so thus everyone's enjoyment is enhanced, well what about fall damage. Fall damage has been in the game for a long time but it really does hinder building progess with tall structures being a hassle to build even if they do eventually get built fine they just can't be built as efficiently/easily as without fall damage. Fall damage deaths are more of an inconvience than a disater, forcing you to walk over to where you fell to collect your stuff. It's not really a challenge but more of a time wasting hassel so what does it really add to the experience?

Falling is entierly avoidable via holding the shift key (unless you're Nicholas lol). I see your point, however as Gimpy says, the lightning is fucking ridiculous in 1.9 and 1.10. Plus its not fair for those who are in certain biomes and those who are not.

Lightning is also random, and nothing you do can stop it. As per falling, we've got the shift key to crouch and not fall, mega levels of protection and feather fall to avoid dying, and Elytra that can be deployed now to arrest a fall.

These suggestions aren't to make the game a cake walk, it's to make it less frustrating when you can't remedy something.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 7:49 pm 
King

Vanilla is also a bit subjective based on what version you're playing. Since 1.9, lightning strikes occur at a much higher rate than before, and do not seem to be put out by the rain as quickly. What we are doing is essentially changing lightning mechanics for our version (1.10) to match those of a previous vanilla version. Still vanilla, just slightly altered.

of River's End