All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 4:47 am 

As the newest member, and realm, of the Mercurian Empire, the Östron people request the presence of the council to discuss a matter of great importance on this day. This day, being the New Year's Day of the 500th Year of the Emperor. Year of the Emperor... an Emperor that according to some has not existed for almost 200 years!

How are we to accept this? Why should we accept that we are but a realm subject even if only in name to an Emperor that for all we know, doesn't exist?

Our demands, and indeed the demand of myself, Eorl Mark Günther Stefan of Östlaed, is that either the Emperor's position be filled and decided upon in purpose, name, and form by the Council of those Crowned - or, the Empire be renamed into something more fitting of such a collection of beautiful and prosperous realms.

I sincerely hope this message is not taken with anger, but instead the typical understand that the people of Östlaed are rather demanding with their desire for accuracy, timeliness, and scholarship.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 8:59 am 
Duke

I agree with the honourable gentleman from Östlaed. It appears to me that the term 'Empire' is an anachronism left over from our past and without a single entity we can all call Emperor in place, is no longer fit for purpose.

The question being, what would we refer to ourselves as if we do remove references to 'The Empire'? The Union of Hermertian States? The Mercurian Federation?

Personally I think there is some merit to filling the role of Emperor even if it is just a ceremonial position in charge of starting the Imperial Games. Perhaps the role could be democratically elected by all citizens, or filled by the Council of the Crowned on a rotating basis?

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 12:54 pm 
King

Respectfully, the Role of Emperor was - and indeed - is, an integral part of our history and substance that makes up our very culture.
The role of Emperor is a shadowy one, to say the least, I dare to say that the Regent of the Empire will have one or two comments to say on this subject when he has a moment.
We were very close to electing an Emperor from the ranks of the Council once upon a time, but alas, events unfolded and it was no longer possible.

I like this ancient tradition, however your inquiry is indeed perfectly logical and reasonable.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2016, 4:41 am 
Duke

While the Emperor was an important cultural element of the server, after the Great Exile it was declared that any new Emperor would be elected rather than inheriting the title. However, we have yet to elect (not for lack of trying) anyone to the post since then, and seemingly have not been worse off for it. This calls into question the relevance and importance of the position during the Cycle of the Dragon and the Cycle of the Phoenix.

This naturally begs the question: do we need an Emperor? Since we first drafted the Indoles Carta, the Emperor’s role and powers have been unclear; the most substantive answer was that they would be a “voice for the Council” elected from the Kings. However, at this moment, the Council is composed of only four active members and at its height had seven. Such a small number of people have little reason for a “voice” because it would be no more efficient than them speaking for themselves. Assuming there were reason and if the Council were to possess such a representative, should the House of Dukes also have one? At this stage, having a speaker for either parliamentary house seems unnecessary.

Despite this, an Emperor could serve as more energetic, executive branch of our government, acting in emergencies or at other times when decisions must be made quickly. Also, they could serve many ceremonial purposes, as Vegeuros Cersil noted. In addition, it was discussed at one point that the Emperor would also appoint the Chairs of each Ministry, but we would have to trade away our power to vote for these positions if the Emperor were to serve that function. Thus, an Emperor could be useful, if we more clearly defined what form that usefulness would take.

Currently, our government system and social structure better resembles a confederation. While power is centralized to a certain extent, it is in parliamentary houses that take action via voting, not in any special group or individual. Mostly, people are permitted autonomy, so long as it fits within the laws decreed by the Parliament; government and social institutions vary greatly from nation to nation. Perhaps, then, the name Hermertian Confederacy would be more appropriate, if we choose to forego an Emperor.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 12:19 am 
Duke

Reviving interest in this, upon scanning some old documents, if the position of an Emperor is let go, perhaps renaming the Empire to the Mercurian Commonwealth like in the days of Yore (2011) would be more appropriate?

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: July 6th, 2016, 2:17 pm 
King

I think the best way to solve this is to appoint an Emperor! Traditionally the Regent has been barred from that (and I support that), but the idea was it would be a King who holds the title until death. Unlike in the past where we were conservative, things have stablized and matured greatly in the Empire, and I recommend a quick campaign, no more than a single mercannum. I am behind on knowing how old folks are, and will with haste help the (lore off, server owner) t resurrect the library with its age counter (before folks blame me, remember, the server is owned by someone else, the problem has been clearly defined, and the server owner has all the backup files.. ;) .)

Just to provocatively get the ball rolling, I, with little modesty, nominate my old close ally who appears to have remained very active, the King of Perth.

Let the campaign games begin >:)

I will post suggestions for the campaign shortly, but I recommend the earnest members of the community continue with this. Post ideas, table bills, challenge and more. What ever is required.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2016, 5:39 pm 
King

I agree with the Regent. Let's get a good old fashioned election on the road!

of River's End

PostPosted: July 6th, 2016, 5:46 pm 

Shouldn't there be an addition to the Indoles Carta outlining the laws for this before we try to elect someone?

PostPosted: July 6th, 2016, 9:00 pm 
Duke

Mark Stefan wrote:
Shouldn't there be an addition to the Indoles Carta outlining the laws for this before we try to elect someone?

I agree. Before we start electing anyone, we should clarify how they will be elected and, as I mentioned earlier, what powers they will have.