All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 26th, 2016, 3:07 pm 
Count

The Royal Society of Arts - Idea & Discussion Thread

It has come to my attention that our beloved international forum does not provide an adequate avenue for aspiring and established artists/musicians/etc... to share their work. While it is possible to submit such things to the Commons, I believe that it would quickly become lost among the various other subjects discussed.

Instead, I propose a subforum dedicated entirely to the arts and crafts practiced by our fellow Hermertians. By collecting all such submissions in a single place we'll be able to provide a more focused experience. For example, artists looking for critique would be able to tag their thread with "[Critique] - threadname" while also being able to keeping a gallery of all their work "[Gallery] - insertname" without cluttering the general discussion of the Commons.

As an added bonus, this "Royal Society of Arts" (Hermertian Society of Arts?) would hold award ceremonies and contests on a regular basis including a variety of categories.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tag examples

---

[Critique] - This content is submitted to be analyzed by others and advice provided to the submitter.

[Music Gallery] - This thread contains the personal musical work of a single artist.

[Art Gallery] - This thread contains the personal work of a single artist.

[Nomination] - This thread contains a single piece submitted by the artist to be vetted and included in the next RSA contest or award ceremony.

[Winner/insertcontest] - This thread contains the winner of a specific contest.

Any more ideas?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An alternative to the tag system would be further subforums dedicated entirely to a single category.

Subforum examples
All names are up for discussion.

---

Royal Academy of Arts
This subforum is dedicated to the mastering of one's craft (critique, advice or helpful learning resources).

Division of Art
This subforum contains art stored in a physical medium, be it paintings or sculptures.

Division of Music
Self explanatory, music can be posted in this subforum.

This is very much just an idea at this point so it'd be great to hear your thoughts.

So...

Discuss!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2016, 4:08 pm 
Count

I love this idea! Would it be reserved for art created by Hermertians (lore PC and NPCs) or would it be open to any art produced by the community? I must say I am partial to the former.

I think I prefer the name "Hermertian Society of Arts" as "Royal" suggests that the society is confined to a single kingdom. "Imperial" would work too, but it might sound too political or formal for something like art.

I don't know that Hermertians would produce high enough volumes of artwork to require a variety of subreddits, especially considering the (hopefully soon) incoming library, but I see the appeal of having its own space. Perhaps another adjustment of the forum structure could be made, one that would reintroduce a section for guilds and societies, something like this:
- Guilds and Societies
---- Cartographic Society (content of "Maps")
---- Hermertian Society of Arts
---- Merchants' Guild (All requests and offers for goods, currently trading hall)
---- General Posting Board (Affairs related to other guilds and societies)

Within the HSA's section, a sticky post could list some guidelines (i.e. do not offer non requested criticism, how to offer criticism...) and how to format titles (i.e. name of the piece [category][stance on criticism][finished or WIP] etc...)

It would be very interesting to have an array of art pieces to display on the Culture section of the library! =D

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: February 26th, 2016, 11:26 pm 
King

Liserett is right, having a separate Subforum like the "Maps" forum, might be a bit much, but including an "Art of Hermertia" subforum in the already existing Scholars and Mystics perhaps?

PostPosted: February 27th, 2016, 11:29 pm 
Duke

I agree.

Also, this idea is *NEATO BURRITO!*