PostPosted: November 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm 
King

Seen On Street Corners Across Gallen:

Attached Document, Provided By The Office Of The Chief Purveyor:

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: November 11th, 2016, 2:46 pm 
King

May the people elect the finest candidate!

PostPosted: November 11th, 2016, 2:49 pm 
King

Initial Reactions To The Decision To Hold An Election, As Recorded By Assembly Scribes:

It is tragic that we should embark upon our great and long-anticipated democratic reforms as a result of the Duke's senseless death. In another way, though, perhaps it is fitting; what better way to honor the legacy of the man than to fulfill one of his greatest dreams for Wysteria?

- Toby Stern, MInister for Environmental Affairs

Despite these tragic events events, we must not allow ourselves to forget the course that has brought Wysteria prosperity and international acclaim. We refuse to allow ourselves to be defined by the worst elements of society rather than teh best aspirations of our peoples.

Kan Abernathy, Minister for Diplomacy.

There will be backlash over this. A period of crisis and instability is hardly the time to engage in forays into the unknown where our leadership is concerned, no matter how much the late Duke is ... perceived as having wanted it.

- Thomas Stoutwell, Minister for Mineral Exploits

It will be interesting to see who rises to command the confidence of the Assembly. I predict that the traditional and widely agreed-upon rhetoric of trade and multiculturalism will retain great support, but I wonder to what extent new currents of fear and anger at recent events will sway opinion.

- Unnamed undersecretary to the Office of the Chief Purveyor

The events of the past fortnight have shown us the dangers of Wysteria's current course. Those dangers must and will be reflected in the manifesto of anyone seeking the Ministership.

- Varin Smethwyck, Minister for Public Works

There are those who would have preferred that Nicholas's son Sean took the helm to provide immediate stability. I consider myself to be one of those individuals.

- Alin Rouissant, Assembly Member for Maes Docklands

I retain great hope in the ability of our realm, its Assembly, and its peoples to triumph over adversity and guide Wysteria on a fulfilling and prosperous path. I look forward to the next week.

- Jenkins, Chief Purveyor

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: November 11th, 2016, 9:54 pm 
Count

This is a historic moment for the empire! I hope the elections run peaceful and without any obstacles.

CASADIA STRONK

PostPosted: November 14th, 2016, 11:01 am 
King

In advance of the formal commencement of the Period of Contemplation and Perspective starting tomorrow, in which all candidates will announce their intentions and deliver their manifestos to the Assembly, an unnamed scribe has provided us with an advance - and confidential - document from the Office of the Chief Purveyor, listing those Members of the Assembly who will stand as candidates in Wysteria's first election.

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: November 27th, 2016, 12:09 am 
King

Wysterian Assembly - Election Day 1

Presentation Of Candidates' Manifestos

Frederick List – Assembly Member For Graycott

Frederick List is a first-term Member of the Assembly for Graycott, a trading and exploratory post in the north of County Gallen which has experienced explosive growth and had become well-know as the trading hub for northern expeditions as well as the conclusion of the 'Mule Route' trading trail that connects up multiple hamlets recently amalgamated into Wysteria proper. Despite his short time serving as a Member of the Assembly, he has been a driving force of progress in Wysteria's north, instrumental in bringing trade to the isolated outpost and modernizing Wysterian agriculture through the introduction of mechanised redstone farming in Gallen and the eastern Crop District. He is accordingly well-known in the Assembly as bright, young, and determined; recognised as taking great interest in the welfare of his constituents and the domestic policies of Wysteria in general. His running for the Ministership is thus not wholly surprising, though there is a fairly widespread feeling that perhaps the young man, bright as he is, does not yet have the perspective of governance, politics, or - crucially - Imperial affairs required of a potential Minister. As one of the newer Members of the Assembly, it is uncertain quite how much support he currently has in the Assembly.

---

Members of the Wysterian Assembly, I thank you for this great opportunity to address you here today. Our decision to break from tradition and convene the Empire’s finest experiment in governance has solidifed Wysteria’s reputation as a realm focused on progress, on prosperity, and on success for all our peoples. In seeking the Ministership, it is my goal … to ensure that the citizens of Wysteria … continue to reach success, and to accomplish this through the removal of several … obstacles that have prevented this.

To begin with - I join you here today from one of Wysteria’s greatest triumphs in trade and agriculture: Graycott and its sister ventures in places such as the Crop District have connected Wysterians further afield than ever before. To ensure the continued prosperity of these, we must eliminate that which still hinders their expansion! Too many farmers, particularly in those small hamlets recently amalgamated into Wysteria, cling to the old inneficiencies of farming; insist on preserving the hoe and the plow when new advances in redstone have allowed much automation of farming. We should, indeed, shall make the transition to more mechanised farming – and it is my hope to use the platform of the Ministership in order to expediete this change so that all Wysterians may benefit.

What’s that I hear you say? Yes, there will undoudtedly be those who will find themselves out of place in a more mechanised farming system. But we cannot allow the sentiments of a few to forestall the economic, industrial, agricultural progress and prosperity of our great realm! This is creative destruction at its finest, my friends – the necessary, ultimately profitable transition to new technologies and new innovations, by necessity wiping away the old inneficiencies.

Together, we can and shall create a better Wysteria! Onwards!

---

A moment of silence at the abrupt end of the Manifesto, followed by polite applause.

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: November 27th, 2016, 12:47 am 
King

Assembly Reactions To List's Manifesto
As collected anonymously by Assembly scribes.

---

A rousing, energetic start to the proceedings! List has certainly shown an energy and enthusiasm that could well bring the Assembly back to its stride.

---

Enthusiastic, but misguided. If List things that agriculture is really the most pressing of concerns we have right now, he needs to spend more time away from that frost-bitten outpost of his.

---

Bring in the serious contenders for Erts's sake.

---

Now this is what we need! Straight talk about the issues most pressing to us here in Wysteria. List was right to focus on the needs of ordinary Wysterians rather than Imperial politik that doesn't go towards putting food on the table.

---

Now, List is a good man. He's done well and he'll do much more. But his manifesto shows us why he isn't suitable for the Ministership. His primary address to the Assembly, and it's oddly pedagogical, focused on a single issue, abrupt, lacks gravitas, is bereft of rhythm and cadence, displays an ignorance of Imperial affairs and how they affect his work, and does nothing to build a common theme.

---

This manifesto has shown List to be exactly who I thought him to be - a brilliant and creative young man who cares deeply for his fellow man and will continue to do great things for Wysteria domestically but simply isn't concerned with the broader, Imperial perspective. He'll make a superb agriculture Minister - but he won't make Minister.

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: December 1st, 2016, 12:55 am 
King

Wysterian Assembly: Election Day 2

Presentation Of Candidates' Manifestos

Alin Rouissant - Assembly Member For Maes (Docklands)

Alin Rouissant is a third-term Member of the Assembly for the Docklands constituency of the agricultural shipping and trading hub of Maes in Wysteria's eastern reaches. A long-serving though fairly unassuming public servant, he is generally regarded as having done well to protect his constituents' interests in the Docklands and having played a part in recent infrastructural and residential expansions in the economic core of the Crop District. Other than his routine work, he keeps a fairly quiet life in Maes, and is not especially known within the Assembly as a prominent figure. Though Rouissant makes few statements of Wysterian or Imperial politics, he has several times in the past indicated that he harbours no real political ambition above his current work - this, coupled with his lack of real presence in the Assembly, generated significant murmurs of puzzlement when he submitted his name for the Ministership. Long-known but not at the centre of Assembly politics, his support within the Assembly is estimated to be fairly low.

---

Members of the Assembly, I thank you for allowing me this platform today.

I know many of you were rather surpirised to see my name on the list of contenders for the Ministership. As I have told a good many of you in the past, I harbour few political aspirations beyond my current position; in my eyes, fulfilling my duty as representative of my friends and neighbours in Maes bring me satisfaction enough.

As of today, that position has not changed. I shall not be seeking the Ministership – as most among you no doubt realize, I am far from the most qualified individual available. No, I come before you today to impress upon you the urgency and necessity of selecting to guide Wysteria forward the one who is most qualified and most able, for only then will recapture the sense of spirit and purpose which shall drive our realm forward anew.

That individual is, of course, our own Heir Apparent: Sean, son of Nicholas.

Yes – yes! Please allow me to continue! I hear your murmurs of discontent, your whispers that this is a perversion of both the Wysterian Assembly and the legacy of the late Duke in his wish for democratic leadership. Allow me to quiet them. Master of the Observatory here in Gallen, the late Duke’s son spends his hours scanning the stars: those bright pricks of light, alluring in their promise of hopes and dreams, as yet untapped, out there; beyond. Beyond! Yes, that is the key here; in advocating for Sean as leader of Wysteria, I push for us to allow ourselves to look to the beyond! To look there for progress and perspective, for new advancements for our peoples’ benefit. And to do this with the safety, the security, the comfort of knowing that we are in the stable hands of the next in a bloodline which has led Wysteria since its inception in the study of the elder Sean. What better way to guarantee the great future of our land than to entrust it once again to the bloodline which has never failed us?

So, my fellow Members of the Assembly, let us not allow ourselves to resign the future of Wysteria to infighting in the Assembly. Let us move beyond these weeks of electoral anguish and entrust our great nation once again to the Scrayvens: it is the stable, prosperous, and only path forward.

Thank you.

---

Scattered smatterings of applause - seemingly mixed confusion and polite disapproval - come from around the room, then fade.

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: December 1st, 2016, 12:58 am 

Wow, that was surprising.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2016, 1:10 am 
Count

....and Sean unzips his costume and reveals he is in fact Jenkins!