All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 10th, 2016, 11:49 pm 
King

Investigation Conclusion

Following the emergence of new details and testimony, the Labourer’s Council has been presented with the information necessary to make a ruling on the deaths of Duke Nicholas II and Count Cedrek of Wysteria.

Testimony from Mark Accynaffon, Duke of Ostlaed, was delivered to a full assembly of the Labourer’s Council early this morning. The Duke had returned to Ostlaed following the events at the Amphitheatre – upon hearing of Wysteria’s request for witness accounts of the Amphitheatre Tragedy, he delivered a testimony to the chief clerk of the Merchant’s Guild in Acholm, which was then passed on to us.

A drawing from the testimony reveals:

“I was standing on the upper right balcony, position just to the side of a spruce pillar, as the ceremony seemed to be drawing to a close; Nicholas had just delivered the Formal Records of Ascension and was preparing to address the assembled nobles. As the Duke was about to speak, a rain of projectiles including eggs and arrows began to rain on the crowd below, originating from multiple individuals obscured inside a tight knot of spectators to my left. I did not see any of their faces clearly, though I did catch a flash of purple on the brim of one their hats. Time seemed to stand still for a moment, and I saw an arrow fired by this individual suspended in the air, its barbed point glistening silver, before slamming into the shoulder of Count Cedrek. Their barrage provoked panic among the spectators, and a number of members of the various retinue on the ground began to return fire. A scramble for the exits began, and I as I exited the Amphitheatre I caught an image of Nicholas falling to the ground.”

This seems to be the best look any spectator got of these attackers; further efforts to identify the individuals have proved fruitless and are likely to remain so. The perpetrators seemed to have been wearing wide-brimmed hats with chicken-feathered cloth obscuring their faces, and have melted back into the shadows. The murder of Count Cedrek will likely remain unresolved.

Meanwhile, we have uncovered the tragic truth concerning the death of Duke Nicholas. As armed members of the retinues accompanying the Duke and the newly ascended Counts began to return fire in the face of the unexpected barrage, a member of Count Johanssen’s retinue took out his bow and prepared to return fire. The bow was loaded with a stock of arrows recently distributed to the Vielstine Guard as part of a weapons modernization programme – the product of a recent independent trade deal, they were of Karatite make. Stumbling on a stray chicken as he moved forward to take aim, the retinueman fell forward and released an arrow on its fatal trajectory – into the chest of Duke Nicholas II. The Duke fell to the ground and shortly ceased breathing.

Though these events have been partially resolved, much still remains in question, particularly concerning the identity and motive of these attackers. We hope to uncover more as time goes forward.

This past fortnight has been a trying time replete with shock, anger, and instability. Let us gather together today to mourn the passing of two great men who dedicated their lives’ work to the betterment of Wysteria and its peoples, and celebrate all that we have achieved together. We cannot prevent senseless acts of violence and tragic errors of fate, but we can work together to build a nation that will honor the memory of these men.

We can, and we will.

Thank you.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: November 15th, 2016, 10:06 pm 
Count

Quote:
Stumbling on a stray chicken

I am clumsy.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 10:12 pm 
Count

To the People and Council and People of Wysteria

My most heartfelt condolences go out to you. You have lost not just a great duke, but a great man. His zeal for the cause of democratic reform is unmatched, and I hope for the good of all the empire that his legacy will be carried on in good hands. May the Great Creeper guide him in his new life. If you need any help in bringing the perpetrators to justice, know that a humble knight lends his sword to the cause.

Sir Kalo of Tiberford.

Student of the Gildscype Scytera (Archers' Guild)