All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum update suggestions
PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 8:53 pm 
Count

I think it would be refreshing to adapt the forum to Hermertia’s changing needs, especially with the (hopefully imminent) rebuilding of the Library. We have unused, misused and duplicated sections, so I’d like to initiate this discussion.

Here’s my suggestions because I’m sure you guys can’t get enough of me poking at everything just yet.

-----Commons
General discussion
Remove description as content is self-evident and General Discussion is a subforum of its own.

----------General
For general discussion of a variety of topics

----------FAQ
New subforum with the FAQs as a sticky post. Description: A place for new comers to ask any questions they might have about Project Hermertia.

----------Trading Hall
New subforum to replace the Markets and Guilds. Description: Request or offer materials, items and services.

----------Maintainence
Correct to “Maintenance” and add description: Discussions related to the administration of the server, forums, wiki or other systems.

----------Off Topic

-----Scholars and Mystics
The lore and history of the lands of The Mercurian Empire.
Remove whole section except “Realms”. Raise “Realms” subforum to main section.

----------Realms
Add description: Realms announcements, communications, updates and other internal affairs.

----------Laws
Remove this section as it is a duplicate

----------Conflicts
Remove this section as it is unused/unnecessary, or define its purpose and add a description.

----------History
Remove section, as topics in this section could be recorded in the library (lore), recorded on the forums under Realms (lore) or posted under the section Ministry of Hermertian History (questions).

----------Religions
Remove section once content is archived in the Library.

----------Annals of Bequethals
This section could be removed as it would easily fall under the forum section for “Realms”. If it must be kept, correct to “Bequeathals”.

-----Maps
Maps of the Overworld, the Netherline network, and overlaid maps with the nether lines and biomes together.
Remove description as content is self-evident and current description is restrictive.

-----Markets and Guilds
The destination for vendors and customers of the Empire, as well as information on the Guild system.
Remove section and replace by Trading Hall in General.

----------Buying
Any and all customers! Post here if you are looking to buy something from across the Empire.
Remove section.

----------Selling
Any and all vendors! Whether a one-time deal or a long-term business, post here if you're looking to sell your goods to others.
Remove section.

----------Guilds
Guilds are spacial groups dedicated to everything from the arts to commerce to slaying monsters. Find out here about the Guilds of Hermertia and their application processes, contact a guild for advice or assistance, or create your own!
Remove section, offers or request of services can be posted in the Trading Hall, Guilds information will be recorded in the Library.

-----Diplomatic Court
All things diplomatic, including the Court of the Crowned, Representative Houses, the Parliament, and Judicial Court.
Remove description, as most of it is a list of the subforums which are visible just below.

----------Imperial Court
This is NOT a judicial court. This is the channel for matters of international diplomacy. Bring issues to the attention of the wider Empire through official channels here.

----------Council of the Crowned
The House of the Kings, the Council of the Crowned. Discussion amongst the Council only takes place here.
Change description: The use of the Council of the Crowned section is strictly reserved for the Kings, exclusively.

----------House of Dukes
The representative House of Dukes. This is where the dukes of Hermertia gather to discuss issues and nominate and vote on bills.
Change description: The use of the House of Dukes section is strictly reserved for the Dukes, exclusively. This is where they gather to discuss issues as well as nominate and vote on bills.

----------Parliament
Where bills are voted on by the Council of the Crowned.

----------Cabinet
The Cabinet contains the ministries as well as the office of the Regent of the Empire. The numerous ministries are each responsible for an area of Hermertia life or government, and each is headed up by a Minister.

----------Judicial Court
The Judicial Court of the Empire. Declarations of War, Requests for Support, and calls for investigation or prosecution can be made here.

-----Indoles Carta
Remove this section when the Library goes up as it will then be a duplicate.

-----Applications

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 8:58 pm 
Count

EDITED to reflect feedback regarding the FAQ.

That's what it would look like with these suggestions implemented:

-----Commons

----------General
For general discussion of a variety of topics

----------Trading Hall
Request or offer materials, items and services.

----------Maintenance
Discussions related to the administration of the server, forums, wiki or other systems.

----------Off Topic

-----Realms
Realms announcements, communications, updates and other internal affairs.

-----Maps

-----Diplomatic Court

----------Imperial Court
This is NOT a judicial court. This is the channel for matters of international diplomacy. Bring issues to the attention of the wider Empire through official channels here.

----------Council of the Crowned
The use of the Council of the Crowned section is strictly reserved for the Kings, exclusively.

----------House of Dukes
The use of the House of Dukes section is strictly reserved for the Dukes, exclusively. This is where they gather to discuss issues as well as nominate and vote on bills.

----------Parliament
Where bills are voted on by the Council of the Crowned.

----------Cabinet
The Cabinet contains the ministries as well as the office of the Regent of the Empire. The numerous ministries are each responsible for an area of Hermertia life or government, and each is headed up by a Minister.

----------Judicial Court
The Judicial Court of the Empire. Declarations of War, Requests for Support, and calls for investigation or prosecution can be made here.

-----Applications & FAQ

----------Applications

----------FAQ
A place for new comers to ask any questions they might have about Project Hermertia.

Last edited by Liserett on January 21st, 2016, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 9:25 pm 
Count

I am about to receive anonymous phone calls telling me to call the fuck down with my suggestions, am I not? Please don't hire a hit man... >.>

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 9:42 pm 
Duke

These probably are in need of a little revision. Nicholas and I just wrote down what we remembered of the top of our heads when the site first went up and haven't really changed it since. Id have no problem changing some of these as i know it is a bit confusing to newer players.

Also don't get discouraged if it seems like people seem to be not entirely accepting of your ideas. All discussion is highly encouraged and you bring up a lot of valid topics.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 9:46 pm 
Count

And you did a great job considering the circumstances! This worked fine, but now that some time has passed, it's easier to see what is used and what isn't. It's also a good time to do it as having the library will mean the forum will serve a slightly different purpose.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 10:05 pm 
King

Trust me, your work is absolutely needed and extremely professional. We need the zeal to get us into gear :)

I approve of almost every change listed here, though I personally think it makes more sense to leave the FAQ in the Applications subforum and to add a new subforum nested inside for questions. We can retitle the "Applications" title to "Applications and FAQ",and change the description to match.

I also think that we might want to keep (or have in both places, redundant I know) information on the Guilds in the forums, so that people requesting services have the information in front of them. Unsure on this though, as you certainly have a point. Thoughts?

I have the administrator capabilities to carry this out when we reach a consensus, so I'll keep up to date. We appreciate it, Liserett :)

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 10:13 pm 
Count

Yeah it makes sense to keep the FAQ and Applications together, the way you suggest makes sense.

For the guilds, there is currently not a single post despite there being several existing guilds, societies and companies. I think the organizations interested in doing business could post an offer of services in Trading Hall, including a link to their page in the Library rather than having an empty section.

I might be wrong though, if organizations start to be more encouraged as part of rank ascensions process, such a section might become more pertinent.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 10:32 pm 
Duke

These changes all look good to me! It'll be beneficial to overhaul the forums before our next big recruitment drive.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 10:33 pm 
King

I like this idea; good thinking. With that, I'm sold!

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 8:10 am 
King

Im good with all of the proposed suggestions, except for the one about the FAQ, which was already adressed. If no other kings or anyone else really chimes in with a problem, I can go ahead and change it, and move all the topics in a couple days

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741