All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: BIAKKO's application
PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 9:26 pm 
Count

I browsed the forum and I still have a handful of questions so I don't step on any feet if/when my application is accepted. I hope I didn't miss somewhere obvious with all this information already available!

1 - What should I expect at spawn? Is there a safe hub? Are there any basic supplies for new comers or should I be careful to only log in when I know my count (duke? boss? protector? dude?) is online and available to greet me / show me around?
(I ask this because I once joined a server [supposedly 3 months old] and everything was claimed for several hundred blocks in all direction, I couldn’t cut a tree to make a sword or even harvest food. So instead I sorta died. Repeatedly.)

2 - I have yet to find actual rules. Do we have a list, such as no nerd poles, no floating tree tops, no pixel art, no dirt houses and such? Some are obvious, but some servers have rather unique ones.

3 - Do serfs get to keep ownership of their inventory? From what I read it seems to be the case but I'd rather not assume anything and get confirmation.

4 - Do borders stop at the surface? Below the surface? All the way to the bedrock? Can I get in trouble for mining through a border?

5 - What are the mining rules? Only aesthetic mines with reinforcement, lighting and signage, free for all or in between?

6 - Building: strictly medieval Europe style, or can we bring influence from our character’s birthplace? How about steampunk? Else?

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 10:01 pm 
King

I think I may be able to answer some of these questions for you! :)

Biakko wrote:
1 - What should I expect at spawn? Is there a safe hub? Are there any basic supplies for new comers or should I be careful to only log in when I know my count (duke? boss? protector? dude?) is online and available to greet me / show me around?

You will spawn in the beautiful city known as Concordia. We began work on it last summer and it is one of the servers largest cities to date. It is not a "safe hub" per say, but you should enjoy relative peace while there. There's plenty of food lying around, as well as an abundance of farms for you to harvest from.

When you get accepted to the server, you will be required by tradition to choose a liege lord. This can be a King, Duke, or even a Count (I believe). You will live in their lands until they see fit to give you the title of Count, at which point you can choose to continue to stay in your lieges lands and work your way up to duke, or request permission to move out on your own.

When you are logging on for the first time, your liege will set up a time where you two can meet up and he can show you around the Empire. We do this so that you don't get frustrated wandering around the immense world (and increasingly confusing nether highway network). Your liege will also be able to provide you with some basic supplies and give you a plot of land in their realm to begin building on.

Biakko wrote:
2 - I have yet to find actual rules. Do we have a list, such as no nerd poles, no floating tree tops, no pixel art, no dirt houses and such? Some are obvious, but some servers have rather unique ones.

Before certain events transpired, we had an entire constitution written out for everyone to read. We are in the process of rewriting this, but until then you may find this thread helpful! viewtopic.php?f=14&t=54

Biakko wrote:
3 - Do serfs get to keep ownership of their inventory? From what I read it seems to be the case but I'd rather not assume anything and get confirmation.

Any items that you acquire are yours to keep! A liege should not be demanding that you turn over anything to him/her. Some realms have taxes that you may be required to pay every month or so (although this hasn't typically been the case since we moved to New Hermertia). So enjoy your items!

However, your lands, while living in a liege's kingdom, duchy, or county, are technically the property of said liege. This typically never creates any issues though :)

Biakko wrote:
4 - Do borders stop at the surface? Below the surface? All the way to the bedrock? Can I get in trouble for mining through a border?

I'm not sure if this has ever been officially written anywhere. However, I believe tradition has it that borders do continue below the surface. So, if you are mining close to another realm's borders, be sure to ask their permission before you take any ore from their side.

Note that the nether is international property. Anyone can build in it, and it is collectively owned by the Empire. We use the nether to provide quick "highways" to other peoples lands, as this allows us to avoid extreme overworld journeys.

Biakko wrote:
5 - What are the mining rules? Only aesthetic mines with reinforcement, lighting and signage, free for all or in between?

Mining is basically a free-for-all. No need to keep aesthetics while creating one. However, some people do opt to, as it does look pretty neat when done properly.

We've actually had some pretty interesting international incidents occur that have to do with mining! A past citizen claimed that he had invented a new form of mining called "fractals" that allowed him to produce thousands of diamonds in a few mere days. When we sent a team of investigators to his lands, we discovered that his apparent new mining method had no scientific basis, and it was concluded that he had "duped" his items using an old glitch. He later confessed to this during his trial and was exiled from the Empire (banned).

Biakko wrote:
6 - Building: strictly medieval Europe style, or can we bring influence from our character’s birthplace? How about steampunk? Else?

While players on our server do tend to build in a more medieval European style, this is not an official requirement. We have had tons of really unique styles in Hermertia! I am currently creating a co-city with a Count that is attempting to mirror a Barcelona type style.

We do like our builds to fit our collective lore however (see our library when it is eventually back up), so builds need to be cohesive with that. For example, in the past we had a player build a boat that was operated by steam power. It was decided that this did not jive with our lore, and he was pressured to remove the build.

Anyways, hope that this cleared some things up for you! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

of River's End

PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 10:32 pm 
King

Congratulations! A bill from the House of Dukes has just been passed, seen here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=89 , that shows the majority of Ducal support for your application. This has the effect of reducing your required votes from Kings from 4 to 3. The process of aquiring your King votes will typically take longer as each may have their own questions to ask, but you're well on your way!

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 10:51 pm 
Count

King Arjen III

Thank ye, I have a much better picture of the server now =)

Nicholas

Awesome, thank ye for yer help and votes!

Please note I updated my original post to include a link to a folio of some of my builds.

Last edited by Liserett on June 27th, 2015, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 10:54 pm 
Count

Very nice builds! I like the style, and I think it will fit right in. Hopefully the Kings vet you soon, and then we can get started in full on the recruiting process to convince you of who to pick as liege.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 11:43 pm 
King

Glad I could help!

You are honestly the type of person that we love to see apply here. You have a passion for minecraft, an interest in the rpg-lore aspect of the server, and you seem to have all the makings of an excellent law abiding citizen. Your builds are inspiring, and very well done. I think that your style will fit in very well! Funnily enough, I am also in the process of constructing a university in my capital :)

With that being said, let me be the first king to offer you my vote. Congratulations! I don't anticipate you will be waiting too much longer to be accepted. Keep patient, and get ready for an awesome time when you do end up getting accepted :D

of River's End

PostPosted: June 25th, 2015, 12:00 am 
Settler

Biakko wrote:
Barath Mur
Who is your favorite author?
Terry Pratchett <3

She found the secret password! Ahahah. :lol:
Also as Celestine said, great to see another Lady joining our ranks, I hope you make it through soon!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2015, 12:25 am 
King

Greetings. I am King Vorstaed of Pyrencia. after careful review of your application I should like to extend to you my vote (Be careful, it is slightly damp and partially covered in cheese)

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: June 25th, 2015, 1:57 am 
Count

Barath Mur
Thank you =) Of course half of those were achieved in creative, so I can only take so much credit ^.^
I do look forward to choosing my liege!

King Arjen III
Thank you very much! I'm glad I stumbled across the Reddit post that brought me here, the community seems pretty awesome =)

neonfrontier
Thanks! Yep, Terry Pratchett is like the master key, haha!

Vorstaed
Thank you, but I'm never too careful with anything covered in cheese, even if only partially! Call this my mantra or something =D
Thank you for your vote ^.^

PostPosted: June 25th, 2015, 2:05 am 
Duke

Your builds look really cool! It looks like you have a knack for making cool banners as well. The House of Dukes already passed its approval bill, but I will extend you my vote anyway. I am sure it won't be too long before I see you on the server!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next