All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: MarkStefan's Application
PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 5:41 pm 

You, are my calling.

You, I am devoted to.

Today I embark on my mission, as given by my Brother Johann. He has instructed me to take into my care the St. Vitus monastery, at Lupulin. There I will find Brother Otto, who is struggling to keep up the monastery grounds in his old age. Brother Johann fears that he may be drinking far too much of the monastery's beer, accelerating his descent to death. The local farming population of the village have also expressed concerns over rumors (not even factual accounts!) of raiders from the outer bounds of the empire. I haven't the slightest what I'm to do about that. I am no knight, I am no warrior. However, Brother Johann has given me some basic leather armor and a sword due to these rumors of raiders.

I am also still struggling with my faith in our lord. There has been so much lost, so many writings gone and so little to read concerning our faith. We exist as one of many of hundreds of religions in the great empire -a term I've always felt was ironic - we're neither Holy, nor Mercurian, nor an Empire. We've become lost among the many faiths of this empire. Our faith seemingly relies on the famous beer we produce - attendance at our congregation's feasts is always higher than attendance for the worship of our gods and spirits. Brother Otto famously wrote a holy decree calling for the serving of dark strong beer during service, and I must admit, he may be right. In the holy sanctuary of our Lord Creptos in the Imperial capital, with its amazing altar, beautiful stained glass windows, and the fest after, I've never felt more connected to our faith.

Then again, that may be the smoked sacrificed pig and dark triple beer talking. Creptos save me, without Brother Johann to hold me back, I may descend into drunkenness with Brother Otto.

EDIT: Nothing in my application should be considered official lore. Much will be modified and made official canon in the weeks to come.

Last edited by Cerdic Accynnafon on May 6th, 2016, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 5:45 pm 

I have arrived at Lupulin, and see St. Vitus monastery for the first time.

It is a beautiful place, with more trees than I've ever seen in one place. It is far removed from the actual village - not that a gravel square half a kilometer from any other building really counts as a village.

The main sanctuary seats a few dozen souls, and I have a feeling there aren't even that many people here. Brother Otto tells me most of the beer we brew and ferment is exported, however, I wonder if they use to export more.

My quarters are above the brewery. I can smell years of boiled wort in the furniture, the walls, and even on the paintings.

Creptos, save me.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 6:00 pm 

Hi! I'm MarkStefan, a guy in his late 20s from the US. Right now I live in the midwest, but I'm moving to California in June. I'm married, no kids yet! I went to uni for history but ended up working for the Federal government.

I found your server after looking for lore or RPG servers that weren't so mod heavy. I'm fairly new to MC, but quickly realized I just like more simply gameplay and a community that's a bit more involved. This seemed to fit the bill! Lots of good posts online about the history of this server too!

As for my interests, I obviously enjoy history. I also enjoy hiking, canoeing, and camping. From those hobbies, I've developed a love for cartography ( I love collecting national/state park maps), geology, and tree identifying. I also love to cook, I love craft beer, know my way around bourbon and other whiskey/whiksy, and don't mind "discussing" it!

I hope to bring my story telling abilities, humor, and technical abilities to Hermertia. I've taken a liking to redstone machines, however, I'm not sure how much I'll use that with my character's story.

I've been reading a bit of the server the past day or two, and I think I'd like to see my character established in a new area, in command of a village in a forested area. He is a monk that will experience the difficulties of raiders, newcomers to his tiny village, and the call of the people in his charge to take arms up against the raiders. As a monk with the thirst of the written word, he will explore himself, his faith, and the world around him and establish his village as a center of learning, which will certainly lead his village down the path of growth. With growth comes growing pains, and those he will tackle as well.

I'm open to serving as a serf, a count, or whatever. I do think someday I'd like to be independent, and would prefer just to always work in one town, so perhaps being a vassal of some sort in a new area not under the direct control (yet) of someone would be something I'd be most in favor of. Perhaps, using Holy Roman Empire terms, a free city that is the vassal of a kingdom or duchy? I should mention here that I love EU4 haha... Not trying to demand anything, just expressing my "ideas."

Thanks for the chance to apply and join you guys/gals!

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 6:37 pm 
King

Hello! I'm away out just now but i'll post a proper response later on when I'm back in! :D I'll leave you in the tender care of my colleagues ;)

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 7:05 pm 
King

Greetings! I'm glad you've found your way to our applications section; I'm Duke Nicholas, your Minister for Applications and Settlement. Pleased to meet you and to welcome you to our forums!

I'll start off by saying simply that I'm really loving your application here! I get the sense you've familiarized yourself with our guidelines for the application process, and your blending of lore and images - I assume you have had a role in creating the buildings within - is both a well-written story leaving me wanting to know lots more about your character and a great showcase of your architectural style. You're off to a great start and one that is sure to get a warm reception.

We're always happy to hear applicants describe what exactly drew them to Hermertia, piqued their curiosity or impressed them; it's nice to know our maps are having a good effect. The entire premise of Hermertia and The Mercurian Empire is in forging lore from our in-game actions, but our maps in particular, tirelessly compiled by some very talented members of the community, really do show that off in a cool and impressive way. Shout-out to the extremely capable Duke Gimpy whose editing skills produced this map:

And veteran member Heirophant for creating this piece of art:

And of course the lovely Liserett here, who compensates for my own meager paint and photoshop skills by drafting up lovely lore maps of the Duchy of Wysteria where we both reside:

Other ramblings: on a personal note, I love reading anything that professes an interest in history/government (my own potential field of study) or EU 4 references :) The "neither Holy, nor Mercurian, nor and Empire" line had me grinning. On a more serious note, vast and varied religious are an excellent and storied aspect of the Mercurian Empire; some of them go back almost to the founding of the server, while others including my peoples' Ertian Reflectivism are more modern blends of belief systems. I look forward to learning more about the one that is currently provoking something of a crisis of faith in your story here.

With that said, I am pleased to grant you your first ducal vote on the strength of your application! This vote will be applied as the first vote in a ducal bill here which, if passed by a civil majority of the House of Dukes, will lower your necessary votes from the Council of the Crowned to 2 rather than 3. Chances are other members of the community will like to ask a couple of questions or elaborations before granting you their votes, but in my case I feel secure in your application here. Good luck on acquiring the rest; I predict a good reception.

I'll leave these thoughts with you good sir! Over the next bit you should see some more of the community respond to your application; I'll refer you to again our discussion of the application process, just in case you haven't seen it (http://hermertia.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58), for the run-down of what you can expect next. While you're waiting, I absolutely encourage you to keep on taking a look around the forums at the many different aspects of life in Hermertia, and to shoot me a pm or simply reply here with any questions you might have.

Until then, I'll leave off with an introduction to the Imperial motto since time immemorial:

For Glory!

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 7:55 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome Nicholas! Thanks for your vote!

Those maps are indeed awesome, even better than the ones I saw posted online elsewhere!

As for the religion my monk is a member of, I drew inspiration from the religion section of this forum and the mention of a Creeper based religion. I don't want to expand on it too much quite yet, as it seems there may be others who have plans. If they don't, perhaps my version of this creeper religion will simply be a sect of said religion.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 8:16 pm 
King

Aha, a certain someone went in and edited my original post to include more maps ;) They do do a good job showing off our world, that's for sure.

The Creeper-based religion you're thinking of is Creeperism, an ancient belief structure favoured by the peoples of Valyria (a collective name for the brother Kingdoms of Perth and Valtoros) that goes back to the birth of those kingdoms in the Old World. Unfortunately, not too long ago the Empire emerged from an infamous Dark Age - a period where communication dimmed, suspicions grew, and much information was lost (lore off, our previous forums and wiki were hacked and lost) - that resulted in the loss of much of the old writings. Only bits and pieces remain, though even these are enough to guide us moving forward as we work to reestablish our history.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 8:26 pm 
Duke

Excellent application so far! I really like your build style and your lore is great as well. I've just got a couple questions:

1. I know you said you are relatively new to Minecraft, but what is your favorite thing to build so far (e.g. castles, bridges, etc.)?

2. What is your favorite biome?

3. As a fellow Midwest craft beer fan I've got to ask: what's your favorite brew?

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 8:35 pm 

Haedren wrote:
Excellent application so far! I really like your build style and your lore is great as well. I've just got a couple questions:

1. I know you said you are relatively new to Minecraft, but what is your favorite thing to build so far (e.g. castles, bridges, etc.)?

2. What is your favorite biome?

3. As a fellow Midwest craft beer fan I've got to ask: what's your favorite brew?

1. I've not built that much so far, not enough to really have a favorite. I look forward to developing my skills. Considering I've been a huge fan of Lego, knex, building plastic models, etc in the past, I'm sure I'll really enjoy just building realistic villages in general.

2. I really love dark forest biomes, but I think my preferred for a village would either be plains or normal forest.

3. Wew, that's a doozy. I enjoy a wide variety of beer, but to be honest, all of my favorites are Bavarian wheat beers or Bavarian lagers. I'm planning a trip to Munchen for summer of 2017, so I'll be in heaven at that point :)

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 8:46 pm 
Duke

I am a big fan of Bavarian wheat beers as well. I spent a week in Germany last summer and could not get enough of the beer there. So many great options!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next