All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 10:45 pm 
Count

There could be no more doubt, the signs were all there. The gatherings of peasants under the cover of darkness, the disappearances of able bodied men and women across the land... and who could forget the unexplained boom but a few weeks prior.

Each of these events were a worry on their own, but to have them occur in such rapid succession was something else entirely. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. You speculate as you recline further into the study room's plush chair.

Yet, there is something eating away at you in the back of your mind. You neatly put away your scrolls and equipment before standing up and looking towards the grand window adorning the back of the room. It was a clear night, far above you could see twinkling of the stars behind a new moon.

Below, the streets of the city square had quieted down since the usual rush. The few who prowled the streets at this hour seemed to have gathered near the base of an ornate fountain. Such gatherings weren't at all unusual, performers would regularly entertain at strange hours.

The clambering of metal plates and chains becomes more apparent as you close in on the window. With a clearer view of the happenings below, you see a posse of city guards beckoning at what seems to be a figure standing atop the fountain.

Curiosity gets the better of you and you quickly reach for your robes. You adorn the clothes adorned with the seal of the city before heading out of the study and down towards the ground floor. On the way you eye the Captain of the Guard heading towards the armory, presumably ending his shift.

"Captain of the Guard!" You announce to the man with authority in your voice. "What's the commotion in the town square?"

The grey haired Captain stops in his tracks before turning towards you. "My lord." He says, bowing his head in respect. "It's old man O'Connor. He's holding his son hostage in the fountain..." His voice trails off as he stares into the distance for a moment. "He's got a knife to his throat, my lord."

You recoil in horror at the revelation. Old man O'Connor and his son had lived together at the outskirts of town for as long as you remember. As far as you knew, they were model citizens. You nod in the Captain's general direction before heading out into the cold of night.

Approaching the town square you hear the ranting and raving of O'Connor becoming louder and clearer. It isn't long before you start to make out words.

"...They've taken him! They've taken my son!"

"Sir! Drop the knife immediately!"

"Let your son go!"

"They've taken my son! This isn't my son!"

Quickly approaching the fountain, you eye the two men standing in the water. The hostage is the young man you recognize as O'Connor's son, while the other has the distinctive look of O'Connor himself. The grey, ragged hair and homemade clothes gives away his distinctive look.

"Guardsmen!" You shout at the men circling the fountain. "Stand down, let me speak with him."

The armored men clear the way for you quickly and professionally, though you could see them watching nervously as O'Connor bellowed foul thoughts at his son.

"O'Connor, what exactly do you think you're doing?" His eyes lock with yours almost as soon as you address him. Behind the two amber orbs, his desperation was almost palpable.

"The Red Ones have taken my son! They've taken him and replaced him! This isn't my son!" He blurts out, still pressing a rusty blade to his son's throat.

"What has you so convinced that this isn't your own flesh and blood?"

The old man was shaking now as he looked around frantically in search of something. "Th... They- They took him to the Isle of Mists! Nothing ever returns from that cursed rock!"

--

Just off the west coast of Minerva lies the barren Isle of Mists. Long forgotten by most, the lifeless ruins upon it have become anathema to those that pass it by. Hewn stone talons reach out into the night from atop the isle as if waiting to snatch the sails of unwary sailors.

The smallfolk of the surrounding towns and hamlets have a saying, "Nought is there in the mist but your own fear". It is said the Isle has received few visitors in the generations it has been abandoned. The few who dare venture rarely return. In one piece, anyway.

Legends and fables of demons and malign spirits lingering on the Isle have long been prevalent in the region since the disappearance of its former inhabitants. Recently, news of large caravans of people building a camp along the coast near the Isle have reached the cities. What their purpose is, nobody knows.

--------- END ---------

Hello everyone! It's me, back from the dead. I realize it's been a while since I've been around and I'd like to apologize for vanishing so abruptly. Again. My reasons for leaving in the first (second?) place were pretty selfish, as losing most of the work I'd done on the forums and wiki were a big blow to my motivation to continue.

It's been a few months now and once more, I feel a need to contribute to the server in some way. I really do hope that I'll get another chance to enrich the lore of our world once more.

Sorry if this is a bit short and rushed, it's getting late and I'd really like to at least get something out there before tomorrow.

Oh, I've also thrown in a little warmup snippet above just to get the mood going.

Hope to be around a lot more!
-The Hierophant

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 11:02 pm 
Duke

Welcome back! Amazing lore as always. Given your long history with the server, there is no need to do a formal application (unless you want to). Feel free to continue where you left off before your absence. I look forward to seeing you on the server!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2015, 4:32 pm 
King

Hello! Well wrote!

Is it time for another imperial games? Haha

Do you need the IP? And mumble voice chat details?

PostPosted: December 6th, 2015, 7:15 pm 
Count

I'd heard whispers of a tournament of sorts and in usual fashion I can't pass that up, hah.

Anyway, I've still got the server IP but please do send me the mumble details.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2015, 7:15 pm 
King

I concur good sir! I am most happy to see you around these parts again, and look forward to seeing you on the server. I am afraid it had slipped my mind as to your previous rank in the nobility - I believe you were a count? -, but if you would like your rank changed to reflect an appropriate standing, do let me know!

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator