All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ShadowIsles' Application
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 4:24 am 
Settler

Good day everyone!

About Me
My name is ShadowIsles (Shadow for short use). I learned of your fantastic lore/rpg based community via reddit when this post was made: ->Clicky<- . Anyways, you may or may not have noticed me lurking your forums for a while now, but I wanted to read up on things at my own slow pace before moving forward.

So... about me then. I tend to be quiet until I know people and then I am slightly less quiet. I'm one of few words and let actions do the talking. I don't know what more to say here so if you want to know anything else just ask and I'll answer :^)
-----

Goals
My current understandings of the system in place here is that upon acceptance I join in under a liege to prove myself. As to whether this is the only option at the start, hopefully someone can confirm or elaborate on.

After proving that I am worth keeping around, I intend to venture east and create/customize a region to the lore I hope to work with. I will likely map out some of the world on my travels east, and once I find the lands to build my lore on I will write out their history accordingly.
-----

Skill/Talents
Back in the pre-commandblock era I was an exceptional redstone engineer. I used different styles of array systems to create custom firework shows for the server I played on back then with interchangeable memory.

More so than my redstone skills are my building talents. I tend to build on large scales and the styles vary as I look to diversify my knowledge pool. Here is a album link: ->Clicky<-

Farming I can do though I honestly find little interest in.
-----

Lore*edited in a second post*
General Info:
Race: Spirit of an Elf
Origin: Ibarahian Empire --> Lands of Inheritance --> Corrupted/Shadow/Cursed Isles
Age: Lived during the Cycle of the Moon (--|--). Time of death unknown (--|--). Returned to the world of the living during the 9th Mercannum of this era.
Family: None now living.
Profession: Previously-Master Archer. Currently-Haunting Spirit
Culture: Lost. While he has moments of remembrance, they are fleeting and incomplete.
Religious: Unknown

Story (or what he can remember of it):
Long ago during a time now known as the Cycle of the Moon, a great people of Elves ruled Hermertia. In their time of power they formed a great Empire called the Ibarahian Empire. They ruled with a fierce grace and they prospered in knowledge. Among these Elves was Vortas, Master Archer of the 2nd Guard. He led the 2nd Guard not with fear or bravery, but surety. Whether in hunt of food or in battle he led them.

His past further is obscure but he can remember the fall of the Ibarahian Empire. During the Rise of Nations turmoil in the lands had become extreme. In the final night of the Ibarahian Empire, Vortas witnessed such a fire as he had never seen before. The villages surrounding the capital burning in the Night of the Dead Moon, and the Elvish people fled in the night.

During the following Mercannum the Elvish people began to vanish as the new Nations rose to power. It had been a long kept secret that there was a place to the east where the First Elves were thought to have come from known as the Lands of Inheritance.

After long travels east he and his kin reached the Lands of Inheritance, but they did not find what they expected. War awaited them for the Native Elves of these lands were a cruel and distrustful people. The lands once spoke of as golden sands and beautiful garden cities, now lay before him stained red with the blood of his kin. Enraged Vortas led his remaining Guard into battle again and again until only few remained.

Finally after many Mercannum he was captured and imprisoned. It was not these savage Elves that would kill him though, but a curse. A corruption. With so much Elvish blood spilt, the lands were corrupted and dying. Nothing grew here anymore, and only the smell of rot filled the air like a poison fume. Slowly Vortas died as his captors passed and left him starve. In his final moments he vowed to return to this world and seek out this Land of Inheritance again. He seeks to cleanse these lands of their cursed past. Only then can they be passed on to his descendants. Only then can they receive their Inheritance...
---
Vortas has now returned as a Spirit of his former self. Like all Spirits his strength will wax and wane with time, but he can tell his time in this world is limited. His Spirit will only last for an Era, perhaps two. He must find his way back to the Lands of Inheritance if his Spirit is to ever rest again. How strange that he must start here of all places in Hermertia.

Last edited by ShadowIsles on September 3rd, 2015, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 4:42 am 
King

Greetings! I'm glad you've found your way to our applications section; I'm Duke Nicholas, your Minister for Applications and Settlement and /u/Captain_Mayday. I have noticed your lurking; I'm glad you took the time to learn about our world and its history!

You may well have seen these already, but as a matter of course I'll point you in the direction of our FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=192. If you haven't seen it already, it offers a good introduction to the basic principles and traditions of the Mercurian Empire. You may also want to check out our Applicant Introduction, where I go in-depth on the application process: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58.

Now, on to your application!

You certainly have an intriguing lore here! Since you've been reading our fragmented history of the Old Cycles, you'll know what I mean when I say that our recorded history (i.e when we started playing) began at the founding of Mercury Isle, originally a survival island server for a group of friends. Our history of teh times before that, including the time of the elves, is in large part assembled from a collective guesswork and scattered stories and legends passed down since time immemorial. While elves themselves are still seen in Hermertia, they are fairly rare; with that in mind, I'm definitely intrigued at the idea of learning more about elvish culture. And overall, I'm really impressed at teh overall depth you went to to incorporate our history.

With that in mind, I do have one caveat: our collective lore has no precedent for including ghosts or spirits, and the way our hierarchy works (player starting out a serfs and advancing in noble rank if the so chose) might not be fully compatible with a disjointed spirit. Might I make a suggestion? Perhaps Shadow is a lost descendant of that tribe of elves and, in search of the Land of Inheritance known only to him and his people, became lost and ended up at the gates of Hermertia? That way, he could retain his knowledge of his culture while being a physical being we could better interact with and massage into our collective lore. Just a thought; I'm looking forward to what you might think of my ramblings and if the rest of the community has any ideas.

You might also like to check out some of our highlights as a community here: http://imgur.com/a/vGyJP#0 ; it shows off arguably our greatest strength in our great group of players.

If you have any questions about our history, please do ask: many of us have been around for yonks and can provide some historical context.

Finally, I would appreciate it if you could provide some answers to a few questions I typically ask of new applicants:

-Are you particular to building in certain biomes?
-If you ran into conflict where you and another player wanted to build in the same location, how would you resolve the issue?

I'll leave these thoughts with you good sir! Over the next bit you should see some more of the community respond to your application; many will no doubt have questions of their own. Again, I'll refer you to our discussion of the application process (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58) for the run-down of what you can expect next. While you're waiting, I absolutely encourage you to take a look around the forums at the many different aspects of life in Hermertia, and to shoot me a pm or reply here with any questions you might have.

Until then, I'll leave off with an introduction to the Imperial motto since time immemorial:

For Glory!

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 5:18 am 
Settler

Nicholas wrote:
With that in mind, I do have one caveat: our collective lore has no precedent for including ghosts or spirits, and the way our hierarchy works (player starting out a serfs and advancing in noble rank if the so chose) might not be fully compatible with a disjointed spirit. Might I make a suggestion? Perhaps Shadow is a lost descendant of that tribe of elves and, in search of the Land of Inheritance known only to him and his people, became lost and ended up at the gates of Hermertia? That way, he could retain his knowledge of his culture while being a physical being we could better interact with and massage into our collective lore. Just a thought; I'm looking forward to what you might think of my ramblings and if the rest of the community has any ideas.

Yes I had a plan similar to this in case spirits proved to be a flaw in the lore I gave.
As you suggested Shadow would be a distant descendant of the Ibarahian Elves. While little history is known of the far distant past of that Empire, the legend of the Lands of Inheritance has passed on in story to the few Elven Tribes that still remain. Shadow begins his journey to the east to find out if the legend is true. Along the way he finds the story of Vortas in a way not yet determined.

Nicholas wrote:
Finally, I would appreciate it if you could provide some answers to a few questions I typically ask of new applicants:

-Are you particular to building in certain biomes?
-If you ran into conflict where you and another player wanted to build in the same location, how would you resolve the issue?

I have no real preference in biomes, as each shines in its own ways depending on what is being built.
I have little interest in quarrels unless in context of an agreed upon war in the lore. I'd likely just give up the land and move as there is always more land. Unless of course this is a war scenario (which is rare to my knowledge) in which case we shall battle to the end!

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 5:26 am 
King

Thanks for your answers good sir! I'll leave the rest of the community to have a look now; good day!

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 5:46 am 
Duke

Very impressive building work. I'm sure that if the time comes, there will be many kings and dukes vying for your architectural skills

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 5:53 am 
Duke

Greetings and welcome!!!

I really liked reading over your application and as much as I tried to not fall into the temptation of the "clicky".... I did.... It was taunting me...

ANYWHO. Keep at it. There will be plenty of questions coming up from the rest of us :)

Stay cool 8-)

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 5:58 am 
Settler

@Vegeuros Cersil
Thanks XD I admit that I do try to impress when it comes to building. Hopefully if building is desired at some point, they don't want a bland boring castle. Thanks for the reply!

@Celestine
Haha I almost always use "->Clicky<-" when I have a link. It definitely makes them more tempting :^)
Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 11:06 am 
Duke

Very interesting, as Nicholas said you'll need to adjust the whole spirit thing but other then that you've done fantastic! A question or two, because you've read up on our history which part is most interesting to you? Have you ever been a part of a RPG world before?

Btw your builds are amazing. I'm sure when the time comes many liege will be asking to be your leige, even if it's temporary!

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 11:27 am 
King

Ave, newcomer!

This is a most impressive application, im delighted to see that you've bided your time and have read up on the forums, that is grade A applicant material. Add to this your exceptional building powers, and we have a winner. You absolutely have my vote as a Duke, and also the via proxy: The Royal Vote of Perth.

This is definitely what we like to see in an application. I for one, similar to how you mentioned, created a lot of my lore when I was in game and had some history to lorify back when I joined 2 years ago.

I had an idea for your character, I didnt have a problem per se with the returned spirit idea, but as Nicholas says there is no precedent for it in the lore so not sure, although there ARE skeletons and zombies running about, so hm. It could be that your character believes that they are the returned spirit of your character, inhabiting the body of someone else. They believe they are the shade that has returned from the past. Something like that anyway, cool character to think about then, and their development etc. Exciting stuff.

So yeah, you have my vote and a King Vote already. Thank you for answering my trusted friend's questions also, they were most satisfactory.

Welcome to Hermertia! :D

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 1:16 pm 
Duke

You have clearly done your research on our history! This is a very impressive start to an application. You have my vote!