All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cdombro's Application
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 3:44 am 
Settler

My Name is Cdombro of Dunlain, third in line to the House of Dunlain, and I come from a land called Reznorak far to the East of this place. For years, my allegiance lay with House Farbourne who warred with the Eastern Tribes, skillful and swift warriors indeed. But it was not an act of violence that was to end this centuries-long conflict. I witnessed as my father, Kaerek Dunlain, Slayer of Kings, brought the war to an end with a tool far mightier than any blade: his promise.
A promise of peace, and of prosperity, and the realization that the reason for war had been long forgotten. It was for this, that the two powers came together and celebrated their new leadership, House Dunlain. I am third in line to this throne, behind two brothers who are not but 5 years apart from me. I choose to leave my kingdom I've long called home, not in spite of that I cannot come to power, but rather because my interests are found elsewhere after the long war.
I have heard much about lands West in Hermertia, and that this is a place in which I might settle and perhaps find peace of mind. Maybe this fair kingdom is my best bet for finding prosperity, and will give me something great to work towards. I appreciate your reading and consideration of my request, as I would find great honor in becoming a part of this place, and I look forward to meeting all of its residents and hearing their tales of days past, as they have now heard mine.

May you find peace, and rest easy, always,

- Cdombro Dunlain, Hero of Kharim

Update:

Hey everyone, RP aside my name is Jake, 18 years old and living in the USA. I just graduated high school and am a marine corps poolee, and will ship out to MCRD in San Diego for boot camp on December 21, 2015. I am a swimmer, avid sci-fi/fantasy fan, thoroughly well rounded musician, and have been a gamer all my life. As far as games, I play anything and everything really, but if I had to name a few favorites I'd say Civilization, Dark Souls, any Elder Scrolls (particularly Oblivion and Morrowind), any Battlefield game going all the way back to 1942, and obviously Minecraft. I've played Minecraft regularly since alpha actually, and even when I take breaks it's always something fun to come back to.

For 3 or 4 years now I've been a part of a local group of gamers from my town. Unfortunately the group takes its name from our city, so I won't have the opportunity to proudly disclose my, resume, I suppose you could call it. The group is fairly small, and is comprised of around 100 active members, most but not all of whom have gone to my high school at one point. A lot of really cool people, for sure. This group, over the course of these few years, has both started and abandoned somewhere around 5 long-term Minecraft servers, all of which I was a part of. The last, which is now long dead, is actually where my lore above came from. For further details on the 'Wars of Reznorak' ask at any time ;)

I found out about the Hermertia Project from my co-worker, who owns the server (not sure how to refer to him on here). Hearing about it brought back awesome memories of world-building servers I've been a part of in the past, and after checking it all out and realizing what it actually was, I can say it's something I'm certainly impressed by, and something that I'd like very much to be a part of :)

Thanks very much for your time,

- Cdombro

Last edited by Cdombro on September 4th, 2015, 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 3:52 am 
Count

Interesting. I know I have no power over you being accepted but you should read viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58 so you can add a few more details. From what I've read, the lore sounds pretty good!

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 4:21 am 
King

Greetings! I'm glad you've found your way to our applications section; I'm Duke Nicholas, your Minister for Applications and Settlement.

Squire has kindly linked you my run-through of the application process, which I recomment you read if you haven't already; as a matter of course I'll also point you in the direction of our FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=192. If you haven't seen it already, it offers a good introduction to the basic principles and traditions of the Mercurian Empire.

You might also like to check out some of our highlights as a community here: http://imgur.com/a/vGyJP#0 ; it shows off arguably our greatest strength in our great group of players.

If you have any questions about our history, please do ask: many of us have been around for yonks and can provide some historical context.

Finally, I would appreciate it if you could provide some answers to a few questions I typically ask of new applicants:

-Does Cdombro have any specials skills he could bring to Hermertia? (Farming, redstone engineering, building, you name it)
-Are you particular to building in certain biomes?
-If you ran into conflict where you and another player wanted to build in the same location, how would you resolve the issue?
-Do you have any past builds you could show us?
-Do you have any prior server experience?

I'll leave these thoughts with you good sir! Over the next bit you should see some more of the community respond to your application; many will no doubt have questions of their own. Again, I'll refer you to our discussion of the application process (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58) for the run-down of what you can expect next. While you're waiting, I absolutely encourage you to take a look around the forums at the many different aspects of life in Hermertia, and to shoot me a pm or reply here with any questions you might have.

Until then, I'll leave off with an introduction to the Imperial motto since time immemorial:

For Glory!

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 5:43 am 
Duke

Good to see you here!

I can personally vouch for Cdombro. We've been working with each other for the past few weeks or so and he has showed a major interest in our server and community.

You should elaborate a little bit on the previous country and lore that you had created. And I think that map detailing the area that you showed me earlier would be very interesting for everyone to see as well. Playstyle and other servers you have been on are also things that people would love to hear about as well.

Good luck with the rest of the application process!

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 11:11 am 
Duke

Wonderful to have a friend of Atryls! This will do you well with the kings and Dukes as we all love and trust Atryl very well. Now I have some questions myself, Atryl introduced us but have you checked out or server lore so far? If you get accepted will you be making a permanent home with a liege or do you plan for that home to be temporary? What's yours favourite colour :)? How's the land of the cheese?
Thanks for answering :)

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 11:37 am 
King

An interesting and intriguing backstory for sure. Glad to see another new person here!

Atryl says you have his backing, this is enough of a commendation as I require. The owner of the server's approval is strong. You have my vote and by proxy, the Royal vote of Perth.

This application can only go upwards. I have only one question, can you build ships?

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2015, 1:22 pm 
Duke

I really like your lore and writing style! Do you have any screenshots of past builds?

PostPosted: September 4th, 2015, 3:42 am 
Settler

Gimpy III wrote:
have you checked out or server lore so far? If you get accepted will you be making a permanent home with a liege or do you plan for that home to be temporary? What's yours favourite colour :)? How's the land of the cheese?
Thanks for answering :)

Hey Gimpy III,
I have actually talked a lot with Lord Atryl about the lore of this place, and it is one of the many things that beckoned me to come see for myself. As far as my home situation, I'd like to not sound snobby by making presumptuous claims before I even know if I will be accepted. However, that being said, I would like to think I'd be content as a sturdy, dependable and loyal asset to someone worth fighting for. To be the right arm of a major power is my dream, it is.

If you must know, my favorite color is, without a doubt, purple. The land of cheese question scared me for a moment. You know, anonymity. Then it clicked and I had a good laugh. Wisconsin is good, my friend, a little hot right now still. It is not well known that, on account of constant relatively high humidity here, it's actually damn hot in the summertime!

I only hope that my answers are to your liking, fair and noble one

- Cdombro Dunlain, Hero of Kharim

PostPosted: September 4th, 2015, 4:38 am 
Settler

Samaia Almandine wrote:
I have only one question, can you build ships?

Samaia Almandine,
Your words of approval are very much appreciated, and I hope that this post will answer your question, as well as give some more insight to my background.

To start, yes, ship building is indeed a skill of mine, to be sure. But let me tell you why...

Note: I am working on finding a map of all this, as it will be easier to picture, however, it seems to be missing currently.

My father, Kaerek Dunlain, Slayer of Kings, was of Reznorak blood (The Reznorak were the collective of the eastern tribes, and the namesake of what is now my home country). He was raised as a scholar of the humble Avalonians, hailing from a county now in the center of Reznorak. Passion drove him to spend his young adult years training to become a mercenary of the Menozyne, who are a brutal and skilled people from the white covered mountains in the South. When time for war came down into Avalon, the Menozyne, long time protectorates of these people, eagerly accepted the offer made by the Farbourne kingdom, to join the war, and eradicate the Reznorak. My father Kaerek, attached in various ways to the Farbourne, the Reznorak, and also to the quiet people of the south was for these ties destined to be the diplomat to bring reason to the representatives of each faction.

At the very South of my country, at the edge of the Menozyne Mountains, is the Menozyne Heights, and just North of them is Avalon County, both of which are very small. To the North of these is a large chunk of land where the majority of the Reznorak wars took place, and through this the Scorched River flows in a canyon running Southwest to Northeast, all the way into the Cape of Malice, wherein lies the tiny island of Kharim. To the West of this river is the Fields of Dunlain, and to the Southeast, the Reznorak Heartland. It is over this river that foes from East and West fought the majority of the first two Reznorak Wars. This area is called the Great Plateau by some, as my country as a whole from above appears as a plateau with forests below surrounding, a northern peninsula of small mountains (which creates the Cape of Malice and the Cape of Violence) and an Ocean to the far North.

The area dipping down between the plateau and the mountains is called Kharim's Pass, and it was here the Menozyne mercenaries were stationed to hold off the Reznorak should they ever invade from the North, and attempt to come around the impenetrable barricades along the river. However, months of waiting around let our guard down to the hordes of Reznorak who came across the river, and up through the mountain pass. Many of my people sacrificed themselves that we might pull back to a more defensive position. Reinforcements were not available, as equally devastating attacks were taking place across the river.

My only option was to take half my men, move to the East bank, and swiftly develop effective ships to transport and allow us to take the enemy by flanking. It is there we worked together for 18 days, and where I assisted in the construction of some of the most marvelous ships my people had achieved. For the successful flanking, and also permanent driving of the Reznorak away from Kharim's Pass, they called me the Hero of Kharim, a title I still carry today. So to answer your question, Samaia Almandine, yes I have considerable experience in ship building, and have a great number of useful skills I learned as a soldier.

I am an expert in building walls, and actually have a patented method for it. I am also quite handy at destroying walls. A kind of balance, I like to think. I am moderately skilled with redstone circuitry, and have done quite a number of what I'd like to think are very impressive things with it. I'm also a very highly trained and skilled combatant, but I do come to this land in hopes of leaving war and brutality in my past.

If you have any other questions, please ask me, noble one.

- Cdombro, Hero of Kharim

PostPosted: September 4th, 2015, 4:57 pm 
King

Any friend of Atryl's is a friend of mine. I also hail from Wisconsin, specifically Milwaukee, so perhaps I'll get the chance to meet you! Atryl and I have been buds for ages. Anyways, I'd be happy to grant you a royal vote, and would love to see you on the server!

of River's End