All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Epinicion's Application
PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 8:09 pm 
Settler

Hello all! I am Epinicion, my rp name being Seph, and I'm a college student studying in the Southern US. I'll talk about myself a little bit before I get into what brought me here. I've always been fascinated by Greek and Roman history, I'm a huge American Football fan while also being interested in Football (Go Man U!). I'm very active in other games such as Destiny, League of Legends, and Madden, but have gotten bored and am hoping to return to easily my favorite game, Minecraft! I found out about Hermertia through a post on reddit showing off ya'lls hard work and was amazed by all you have accomplished.

I'm submitting this application in a hope of joining a type of server I've tried to get my friends to play on for many years since we had a normal survival server in high school. All of the lore, made in game and created as a prior history, is incredibly intriguing to me and I've been looking over how in depth it's been, just awesome. The fact his group started so small in the Mercury Isle, to the establishment of a commonwealth and political hierarchy, it's just amazing what people can do when they work together. I'd love to just get on, play, have fun, and contribute to this beautiful world you've all established, hopefully making my positive mark in due time.

Obviously due to the rules of the Mercurian Empire, I would start working under a liege, but eventually I'd love to set out and explore more of the world and set up my own community centered around farming and mining. Until then however, to work under an architecturally versed liege so I can learn more designs and ways to use blocks to build beauties such as ya'lls, possibly working mainly in farming and mining to help my liege and our nation. I've done a lot of work building and designing things on prior servers, however I have a much more contemporary design that wouldn't fit the mood of this era, thus my desire to learn a more lore accurate style from a liege. Given the three outlined skills in the guide, I'd say I'm best at farming, used to be very effective at red stone but haven't played in a while so I won't sell myself too high on that, and lastly I'm not incredible in building in the lore correct style but would love to learn.

Now to lay out the history of myself. Seph is a far northern human of 19 years, coming from the distant Iced over lands of Malynvou. The people of Malynvou speak a very distinctively different, but contain many of the old colloquial terms of the early Mercury Isle, bringing into questioning whether an unrecorded explorer of the Isle made contact many many years ago. The land albeit covered in snow nearly year round, was quite fertile and led the people to become quite proficient in farming, letting them expand their community and explore the world around them. This lead Seph to set out on his Rite of Manhood exploration, something every Vounian man must do at the age of 19, resulting him wondering into the lands of New Hermertia where he must learn and intertwine into this new world before returning to his people of Malynvou (for clarification and expansion on this lore I'll include my response to Duchess Gimpy III: "Do you think your character will fall in love with Hermertia in time and instead of returning home he will stay here?": I failed to explain it in the original post, and will return and edit it, but his return to his homeland would be similar to a pilgrimage to Mecca or Jerusalem, something a man of Malynvou does at least once in his life, but is usually done towards his twilight years when he has accomplished much in his life. So yes I believe Seph will spend the VAST majority of his life in Hermertia, and his pilgrimage my be something done as a sort of book end to his life or as an attempt to extend the Empire to his prior home.)

Thank you for taking the time to read my application! I look forward to any feedback or discussion!
-Seph

Last edited by Seph on August 30th, 2015, 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 8:29 pm 
Duke

GREETINGS AND WELCOME TO HERMERTIA!!!! I am Duchess Celestine and it is FANTASTIC to meet you~ I wish you the best of luck on your application. ^^

Duke Nicholas should be by soon to give you your very own wall of text to read and respond to.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 8:56 pm 
King

I'm out, alas! Wall of text incoming soonish. I'm liking your application!

Sent from my IPhone.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 9:02 pm 
Duke

Welcome to Hermertia. Glad you found us, and I hope to see more of you :).
Thanks for applying, I have a few questions I'd like to ask feel free to answer when you can.
What is your favourite part of our history so far? As in do you find a certain point very interesting and would like some inside details about it?
Also do you have a favourite biome to build and live in?
Do you think your character will fall in love with Hermertia in time and instead of returning home he will stay here?
(about the above question time passes quickly in our world, in about a month 6 years pass ig)
Thanks for applying I look forward to your answers!

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 9:03 pm 
Count

Also from the south. so you're not alone! nice use of ya'll in the application :D Solid start so far

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 9:15 pm 
Settler

I'm glad as well, I've seen nothing but politeness and people being kind and I very much look forward to (hopefully) being around here much more!

In response to Duchess Gimpy III;

"What is your favourite part of our history so far? As in do you find a certain point very interesting and would like some inside details about it?": I've done my best to try and comb through and find the different lore posts on this site and I've had to say I'm intrigued about the War of the Chaos Orcs, I haven't stumbled onto anything other than it's two references on the Timeline of the Old Empire page, which doesn't mention an end to said War. Is there one or is it on going?

"Also do you have a favourite biome to build and live in?": I am partial to snow biomes given their sentimental ties to my homeland(both in game and in the real world), but I also enjoy plains and jungles given the very contrasting landscape. Plains are ideal for the typical village and farm set up, but jungles really force you to build into and onto the land, many times having to sculpt it into something unique.

"Do you think your character will fall in love with Hermertia in time and instead of returning home he will stay here?": I failed to explain it in the original post, and will return and edit it, but his return to his homeland would be similar to a pilgrimage to Mecca or Jerusalem, something a man of Malynvou does at least once in his life, but is usually done towards his twilight years when he has accomplished much in his life. So yes I believe Seph will spend the VAST majority of his life in Hermertia, and his pilgrimage my be something done as a sort of book end to his life or as an attempt to extend the Empire to his prior home.

Thank you!

(Edited to Duchess*)

Last edited by Seph on August 30th, 2015, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 9:56 pm 
King

Ave newcomer!

I am very impressed with your opening post, and subsequent replies to the good Duchess Gimpy.

I am prepared to offer you my Duke Vote, and also via proxy voting, the Royal Vote of the Kingdom of Perth.

Please continue with this application. Also, if you like snow, then we have a lot in common. All of my builds are in snow so far! ;)

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 10:02 pm 
Settler

Thank you! I aim to please and put my best foot forward! I very much appreciate your faith in being willing to vote in my favor and I hope I get the chance to prove your beliefs about me true! Hopefully one day we may work together in the beauty that is the tundra!

Also my most sincere apologies to Duchess Gimpy for referring to you as Duke, I am forever apologetic.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 10:10 pm 
King

An easy mistake to make, Duke/Duchess, its not that important as a newcomer :)

Im sure we will get the chance at some point, the liege offers come after you get enough votes, so everyone has a chance to get to make an offer! :)

PostPosted: August 30th, 2015, 10:38 pm 
King

Greetings! I'm glad you've found your way to our applications section; I'm Duke Nicholas, your Minister for Applications and Settlement and /u/Captain_Mayday.

You may well have seen these already, but as a matter of course I'll point you in the direction of our FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=192. If you haven't seen it already, it offers a good introduction to the basic principles and traditions of the Mercurian Empire. You may also want to check out our Applicant Introduction, where I go in-depth on the application process: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58.

Now, on to your application!

I think you've hit the nail on the head in regards to the attraction we see to Hermertia: a group of people who use Minecraft as a platform to create a world with its own history and lore. We've gone through our ups and downs, ebb and flows, and created a complex history derived from our actions in-game.

There would be no problem with you seeking to become and explorer; our community benefits from having a great diversity of players, and you'll find many lieges with different goals; this is why it's best to examine as many liege offers as possible so as to find the one that best suits your goals. You'll certainly find different architectural styles around the Empire; in my city of Gallen, the under-construction capital of Wysteria, I tend to make use of logs and polished stone:

In regards to our history, I see you've taken a look at our Timeline of the Old Empire! This is, unfortunately, a mere fragment of what our Imperial Library once contained; we have recently emerged from somewhat of a Dark Age where progress slowed, nobles became isolated, and many records were lost to history (in real life, our previous forums were hacked and we lost a great deal of our lore). The timeline you see there is the work of several diligent scribes who dug up an old, sometimes incomplete timeline and copied it down.

The War of the Chaos Orc is indeed over, and has been for many years. It took place in the Old World, where conflicts such as that one, wars that erupted for reasons now murky, were more common. Legend has it that the dispute began when a tribe of Orcs (a rare race now that began as a genetic experimentation eons ago) got into a dispute with a neighboring realm; under the leadership of Popret the Chaos Orc, the Orcs were victorious against Imperial forces for a time. The conflict culminated in one of the largest battles for the time.

You might also like to check out some of our highlights as a community here: http://imgur.com/a/vGyJP#0 ; it shows off arguably our greatest strength in our great group of players.

If you have any questions about our history, please do ask: many of us have been around for yonks and can provide some historical context.

Finally, I would appreciate it if you could provide some answers to a few questions I typically ask of new applicants:

-Are you particular to building in certain biomes?
-If you ran into conflict where you and another player wanted to build in the same location, how would you resolve the issue?

I'll leave these thoughts with you good sir! Over the next bit you should see some more of the community respond to your application; many will no doubt have questions of their own. Again, I'll refer you to our discussion of the application process (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58) for the run-down of what you can expect next. While you're waiting, I absolutely encourage you to take a look around the forums at the many different aspects of life in Hermertia, and to shoot me a pm or reply here with any questions you might have.

Until then, I'll leave off with an introduction to the Imperial motto since time immemorial:

For Glory!

P.S Would you like your forum name changed to Squire, good sir?

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator