All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Branch3s' Application
PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 5:44 am 
Settler

I am very excited and hopeful for an opportunity to be a citizen of and participant in the long established lore of both Old and New Hermertia. As a member of this community I would enjoy contributing to grand projects( I don't mind doing the grunt work! I find some of the more monotonous parts of builds to be relaxing) , but a goal of mine would be to grab myself a piece of the pie and forge my own city or fortress, and claim my own land. I've always wanted to be a part of a community like this but haven't been fortunate enough to find one yet, Minecraft has always seemed to me like the perfect platform for creating a world like this. One of the reasons why I'm so interested in joining is that I am a huge ASOIAF/Game of Thrones fan and would like to be able to create my owns stories in that sort of vain. I hope you all receive my application with warmth, and also hope that I will someday be a part of this impressive community.

EDIT: I have also always been very interested in the economies of all the games I have gotten into, making money has long been one of my main goals in many games, from working the market place in WoW to a short stent in EVE Online. In-game economies have been a place I have had a lot of fun and thrived.

Last edited by Tree II on August 9th, 2015, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 6:03 am 
Settler

Also, sorry I didn't quite realize that my application was supposed to be under the name of my character. I would like to be called Tree.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 6:28 am 
Settler

Tree was born in the Kingdom of Ertia, not quite base born, but certainly not nobility either. Through the countless hours spent on the sidelines at court, hearing the chitter chatter of those whose status he was never supposed to ascend to, he grew contempt for most and admiration for some, but most of all he grew grand ambition. He thought he had the wit to out smart them all and make a name for himself and his descendants. He would ascend to the levels of the Lords and Ladies he had spent so much time unnoticed by and go much further beyond to claim and build the world for himself. Although he may not seem as if he is mover and shaker in this world, don't dare think for a second that the wheels are not turning, and that somewhere below the surface his ambitious initiative has died.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 7:29 am 
Duke

You are very welcome here, what you've written so far is quite interesting and a common back story for many of the noble here today, they start small but eventually become leaders in our thriving ever changing world. I'm glad to see with your writing that you've done a little research and know about the old and new world and the different kingdoms! I'm sure you'll be a great fit and look forward to hearing more from you. I have a few questions though, such as what is your favourite video game (other then mine craft of course) and also what kind of rank are you looking to achieve? Thanks I look forward to your answers!

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 4:09 pm 
Settler

My favorite game is probably DayZ Mod (unfortunately not the standalone). I have enjoyed countless hours with friends in that game simply walking through the woods. We jokingly call it Cross Country Simulator. I've never been quite as thrilled as I have been in DayZ. Moments of sheer terror, hearing a shot ring out and dropping to the floor hoping the cover you've found will be enough and ultimately that the shot wasn't intended for your skull. Feeling a sense of fear for the life of your character that most other games don't offer, in an instant you could lose hours of work, but work that you didn't mind doing because it was so much fun to plan, strategize, and cover your buddies back. The amount of teamwork required to be truly successful is part of what makes the game so enjoyable, from simply feeding yourself and your comrades, to nearly raising them from the dead, scouring the hospitals for blood packs to give a transfusion. Or, undertaking the grand project it is to restore an old helicopter. The triumphant moment when you can finally play "Fortunate Son" by CCR over your mic on your inaugural flight. My plans would be that once I got well established and experienced on this server that I might have my friends from other games apply as well, but certainly not until I become a part of the greater community and make friends here. Other than DayZ and some MMO's some other games I have thoroughly enjoyed and spent quite a bit of time in would be, Civilization, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion,Splinter Cell(Those I have been meaning to revisit). The classics for me when I was younger were, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and the original Rayman. Haha, I am very much getting carried away.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 5:26 pm 
Duke

Getting carried away is kind of what we do here *looks at humongous builds* But those who have passion in other areas almost always are able to bring that passion into the server and make it an amazing place for everyone! Thanks for answering the questions and I'll think up some more for you, actually here's one: so when people start off on our server they have to under a liege, which is any noble from count to king. So I'm wondering if once you've built up a county under your leige you plan on going off on your own to found an independent County or continue work under your leige and continue to grow with them? Also I'll start a bill in the house of Dukes to get you accepted, you have my vote!

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 5:46 pm 
Settler

I think that venturing off on my own is my goal, however I could see myself continuing to serve, under the right liege that is. It seems to me it would be all about relationships and timing.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 7:03 pm 
Duke

Definitely, well you've given me lots of info, the only thing I can think of that you might want to do now is either expand and create stories within your lore and make some example builds to show off!

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 7:07 pm 
King

Greetings! I'm glad you've found your way to our applications section; I'm Duke Nicholas, your Minister for Applications and Settlement and /u/Captain_Mayday, if you found us through our recent reddit advertising.

As a matter of course, to start out I'll point you in the direction of our FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=192. If you haven't seen it already, it offers a good introduction to the basic principles and traditions of the Mercurian Empire. You may also want to check out our Applicant Introduction, where I go in-depth on the application process: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58.

Now, on to your application!

I love your thoughts on getting involved in the economic side of the Mercurian Empire. In my opinion, it's a fascinating aspect of our world. I am Guildmaster of the Merchant's Guild, one of the numerous organizations of Hermertia; my guild has the goal of facilitating trade and the exchange of resources across the Empire. Projects currently in works include the establishment of Guild Halls and trading posts across the realms of the Empire (you can see one in Concordia, our spawn) and the organization of mule caravans for transporting bulk trades through the nether lines. if it sounds like something interesting, I'd be happy to go into some more detail about it.

I also see Tree was born in the Kingdom of Ertia? I myself have a long and great history with that realm as, until fairly recently, I was a Duke under King Arjen III before setting off on my own to found the lands of Wysteria. As to your thoughts on creating new stories in the presence of a good (not to mention long-lasting; some of us have been around 5 years) community; yep! It sounds like you are looking for the very qualities that our community is best at, aha.

As to your thoughts on claiming land for yourself: all newcomers to Hermertia start out under an established vassal, where they typical rise to the rank of Count and, in doing so, prove their commitment to the values of Hermertia. After that, they are free to set off on their own (which typically has some benefits of increased autonomy) or remain under their liege (which allows access to that realm's resources, among other things). It's your choice, but both are definitely great options that allow you to accomplish many things.

Finally, I would appreciate it if you could provide some answers to a few questions I typically ask of new applicants:

-Does Tree have any special skills he could bring to Hermertia? (Redstone engineering, architecture, farming, you name it.)
-Are you particular to building in certain biomes?
-If you ran into conflict where you and another player wanted to build in the same location, how would you resolve the issue?
-Do you have any past builds you could show off?

I'll leave these thoughts with you good sir! Over the next bit you should see some more community respond to your application; many will no doubt have questions of their own. Again, I'll refer you to our discussion of the application process (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58) for the run-down of what you can expect next. While you're waiting, I absolutely encourage you to take a look around the forums at the many different aspects of life in Hermertia, and to shoot me a pm or reply here with any questions you might have.

Until then, I'll leave off with an introduction to the Imperial motto since time immemorial:

For Glory!

PS: Would you like your forums name changed to Tree, sir?

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: August 9th, 2015, 8:29 pm 
Settler

Having my forums name changed to Tree would be great, that's actually what I go by IRL believe it or not, I started a build today to show off (http://imgur.com/a/b6fje#0) just the something quick I put together, not too pleased with the foliage at the top, I quickly discovered I'm no Edward Scissorhands. I've had minecraft for a long time but to be honest haven't spent near as much time on it as would have liked. Most of my time spent gaming is spent playing multiplayer games with friends and the guys I usually play with are limited in number, and are generally more interested in playing other games than minecraft. If my application goes through this will be the first minecraft server, aside from a 3-4 man server a couple of times with friends, that I will have participated in.

In regards to your questions,
I'm a quick learner, and going to school for computer science, but I wouldn't consider myself to be particularly advanced in any minecraft skill. I have enjoyed farming however, and think I've got a decent handle on that.

I'm not very picky about what biomes I like to build in, each provides unique oppurtunity, I'm not that fond of building in desert biomes though.

If I ran into conflict with another player and we both wanted to build in the same location I don't think we would run into much issue. I consider myself to be pretty easy going and good at negotiating, I'm sure we could work something out. We could compromise and build something together, or perhaps I'd even be willing to concede that the other player has a better idea and that should be the build for the spot. I honestly don't foresee that being an issue, there's always somewhere else, or something else to build. Not to mention it really seems like there is a good, mature community here and we would all be willing to discuss future plans in a respectable way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next