All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Horatio's Application
PostPosted: August 11th, 2015, 10:55 pm 
Settler

Player details: I'm a 40yo long-time gamer who enjoys a variety of eccletic games, of which I am pleased to include Minecraft (although I have my partner to thank for actually introducing me to its gameplay side :). I generally play in survival mode, although have assisted her with several creative builds in the past. I work best in group building situations, and am very good at following instructions or a lead/idea (and figuring out the remainder of the details as things go.) Not really experienced at all with redstone at this time.

My character's intentions are, in the short term, to establish himself in the Mercurian Empire plying his trade, with a more long-term aim at actually setting up a guild and guild hall here.

The sound of his pick swiftly hammering against stone droned in his ears, even as the lightning crashed nearby. It was a risk working this intently – especially considering the silent ones that crawled in the night – but he had little choice. The rock in front of him was the last obstacle before he'd be free. Free of the past. Free of the problems.

He could feel the handle wavering and knew his tool wouldn't last much longer. With a driven ambition, he swung as fast as he could, praying that his luck would hold – and, for once, it did. The pickaxe shattered with its last blow, crumbling into pieces at his feet and taking the remnants of the wall with it. The hole was just wide enough for him to pass through and the rain was clearly visible on the other side. Still, it was better than staying here. A new world, in its own way…

Turning around to gather his items, the wayward traveler's heart skipped a beat as he saw the green pillar approaching him silently. It barely had time to emit a hiss before he'd flung himself backwards through the opening, landing hard on the ground several meters below and taking off at a full run. His limbs were tired from the work, but adrenaline was the world's best lubricant in a panic. He didn't stop for many minutes, until the pounding in his chest overpowered the pounding of the rain. Exhausted, he looked back with trepidation; thankfully, whatever pursuit there had been was over and he found himself alone again. While the wild was still dark and deadly, at least he was no longer trapped in a cave. Outside, he could see his surroundings, he could get his bearings, and he had more paths open to him that he could count.

Despite his clothes being soaked to the skin, the traveler smiled as if under the brightest sun on the most beautiful of days. He looked around, taking in trees, flora, fauna – a standard forest, by any normal description. But in his mind, it was a canvas, filled with potential.

A short time later, he happened upon a small town, heading straight for the inn. The tavernkeeper, surprised to see anyone out in this miserable weather, welcomed him and set up a chair by the fire. As the stranger warmed himself, enjoying a draught of mead, the owner decided to break the ice. "So… what brings you 'round these parts?"

"Well, for starters, they aren't other parts," was the reply, with a sly smile and a small laugh. "What brings me here is here… a chance to wander hither and yon, charting unknown glades, untouched vistas, undeveloped lands."

"My word, sir, but those are some fancy words there. S'almost like a secret language," chortled the barman

"Your land has a language, and more secrets than you know…" he said, with a wistful sigh.

"Well, that may be so, and I may not know what life was like where you came from – but here, you need the nobles' permissions to do things like that. You can't just go off willy-nilly crossin' borders and pokin' around; that's liable to get you killed or emprisoned. S'not a violent folk, here, but we still respect each other's lands. You'd best be startin' by talkin' to those in charge. No one's goin' to pay you to just walk around though."

"'Just walk around'? Dear sir, do you know all the treasures that this place might have? BAH! Of course you don't. Remaining here, in your place of business. But I could show them to you! I could show them to all of you...." his voice trailed off as his gaze once again drifted out the window.

Checking his pockets, the foreigner found he had managed to retain some of the gold from his possessions. With little else in his pockets, however, that wouldn't last long. "Barman... I wish to send dispatches to the leaders of these lands. I would do good by your Empire's people; if that means aligning myself with someone, then so be it."

"The scouts are only by every once in a while, and they charge, whether it be a letter or a parcel," drawled the host.

Dropping a nugget on the table, he nodded, "I understand. That should cover some of it for you, I trust. And may I have a quill and some parchement, if you please? I need to get drafting!" The yellow nub quickly disappeared as the tavern keeper smiled and nodded. Returning swiftly with a pen, paper and fresh ink, he left the stranger alone.

Flexing his hands, the newcomer began to write several copies of the same letter with enthusiastic glee, each word having its own flourish as he went:

"Dear Finest Lords and Ladies,

I find myself here, this day, offering up my services and myself to your employ, and beseech you to hear my tale. My name is Horatio Vulkani. I am an experienced cartographer and wordsmith who hails from lands far to the south. I have recently found my talents no longer required where I am from, through no fault of my own. When word reached me of your lands, however, I felt the time was right for a change. I made every effort to arrive here as directly as possible and have dreamt of the possibilities your land may possess.

I seek a sponsor to assist me with re-establishing myself here. I am a highly skilled mapmaker with a sharply trained eye for details and potential. Were we to come to an agreement, I would be willing to map out your lands and provide you with any charts that are drafted as well as journal sketches and specific locations of any interesting or unique areas that I came across in my travels.

I am also quite adept at eloqution and writing. While not my primary strength, if you require assistance with any lore-related matters, my services would also be available for hire. Do not assume, however, that my hands are soft; for I have hardened them enough over the years with building passages and shelters against both the elements and dangers of the world. I have made my own paths in this world and they have lead me now to you. I look forward to showing you the hidden wonders that your terra firma possesses.

I put myself at your disposal. Should you have any enquiries to make as to my credentials, please send them to the inn of Edhevrand, where I shall be staying for the time being washing dishes to pay my way.

Sincerely,
Horatio"
00|00 of the Cycle of the Phoenix
The inn of Edhevrand
Pyrencia

Cartographer / Explorer / User of Big Words

PostPosted: August 11th, 2015, 11:23 pm 
King

Ave traveler.

Upon reading your letter I have dispatched this reply posthaste. Your story is intriguing, I would have words in person to anyone making such claims of secrets and treasure beneath our feet. Your new comer status had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.
I look forward to seeing results in due time.

Lore off. This is a relatively short reply as I'm on b holiday until the 12th and on phone Wi-Fi. You have all of the hallmarks of a long term quality member of our community. A willingness to fit in and be a part of something amazing and some highly interesting and mysterious lore.

You have my vote. I'll make a Duke Bill for your application.

Best of luck with the rest of the votes but you'll be fine. This Is a great application.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2015, 11:26 pm 
Duke

Horatio,
Greetings and welcome to Hermertia! I am glad you made the journey safe and you couldn't ask for a better empire to arrive in. I'm sure soon enough you will receive many inquiries and welcomes. I also hope you enjoy your stay in Edhevrand, its a beautiful city, built by my previous Liege.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free ask any of us. Craya light your path.

Duchess Celestine

Lore off your application definitely interested me from the beginning, fantastic to meet you. :)

Nicholas will most likely be by soon with a list of general questions. Dont worry, its not a test, just us getting to know you ;)

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: August 11th, 2015, 11:38 pm 
Duke

Excellent lore! You have my vote as well!

PostPosted: August 12th, 2015, 12:07 am 
King

Greetings! I'm glad you've found your way to our applications section; I'm Duke Nicholas, your Minister for Applications and Settlement and /u/Captain_Mayday if you've found us through our recent advertising on reddit.

As a matter of course, to start out I'll point you in the direction of our FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=192. If you haven't seen it already, it offers a good introduction to the basic principles and traditions of the Mercurian Empire. You may also want to check out our Applicant Introduction, where I go in-depth on the application process: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58.

Now, on to your application!

I'll start off by saying that I love your start here! We have in the past welcomed newcomers from far-off lands under many circumstances, and the fact that we are still seeing unique ways of doing so is awesome! I love your interest in map-making; the art is an essential part of our lore, with a few of our community having made great contributions - check out the Office of Surveyors and Civil Engineers in the Cabinet for their awesome work on an updating map of our nether lines. And we are always very excited at the prospect of bringing new skilled individuals aboard; as lots of realms require mapping, you would certainly have the chance to make ample use of your skills.

Which brings us to your curiosity for the Guilds system. It has in teh past been an area that is sometimes overlooked, as guilds are molded by their members and those Guilds that don't attract an interested base tend to stagnate. That said, the system is a great opportunity to contribute a specific set of skills to Hermertia; we have an Aedifican's Guild for promoting architecture, and I myself am Giuldmaster of the Merchant's Guild, a group that focuses on fostering trade throughout the Empire. I could see a mapmaking guild, for example, that takes requests for maps and draws them up; just brainstroming, aha, but it is absolutely a needed service :) If you'd like to learn more about our Guilds system, do let me know!

Finally, I would appreciate it if you could provide some answers to a few questions I typically ask of new applicants:

-Does Horatio have any special skills he could bring to Hermertia? (Redstone engineering, architecture, farming, you name it.)
-Are you particular to building in certain biomes?
-If you ran into conflict where you and another player wanted to build in the same location, how would you resolve the issue?
-Would you have any past builds you could show us?

I'll leave these thoughts with you good sir! Over the next bit you should see some more of the community respond to your application; many will no doubt have questions of their own. Again, I'll refer you to our discussion of the application process (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58) for the run-down of what you can expect next. While you're waiting, I absolutely encourage you to take a look around the forums at the many different aspects of life in Hermertia, and to shoot me a pm or reply here with any questions you might have.

Until then, I'll leave off with an introduction to the Imperial motto since time immemorial:

For Glory!

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: August 12th, 2015, 12:08 am 
King

By the power granted to me by the King Of Perth for the purpose of proxy voting in his name when he is unable to attend, I, Samaia Almandine, Hand of the King to Lord Scrios III here by grant you the official vote from the Kingdom of Perth.

Scrios has stricter thresholds than myself but I know very well that you're the type of player he is looking for.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2015, 12:13 am 
King

Aaaaand a royal vote! That was fast.

With that checked off, you are now looking at either 3 more royal votes, or 2 more in conjunction with the passing of a bill from the House of Dukes.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: August 12th, 2015, 1:20 am 
Duke

Already an amazing start, you have my vote! You've done well to reach out lands and I look forward to hearing more from you!

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 12th, 2015, 2:25 am 
King

You have my Royal vote also

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: August 12th, 2015, 4:17 am 
Settler

(in character)

The innkeeper had no sooner dropped off a couple of letters when another knock at the door drew him away. Horatio sat agog at the speed with which the replies had come. He stared down at the pen for a moment, and realized his hand was shaking. Already, two letters from two dukes had arrived greeting him to Hermetia - one of whom was the patronness of the lands he was currently on! - and both of them were welcoming. While he had high expectations upon his arrival, this was an early surprise. Taking another swig of his drink, the mapmaker rested his head for a moment in thought and considered what his careful replies would be, lest he cause offense.

So it was with a start that he jumped back when the innkeeper suddenly and silently appeared next to him. "Cripes, my good man, you're as silent as the green ones! What... what's wrong with your face? You almost have the same expression as one of thosee horrid beasts."

"Another scout just arrived, sir... and... and..." Gulping from either fear or astonishment, the barman held out his own quivering hand. There, it contained 4 more letters. As Horatio took them, his eyes widened. Flipping through the stack, he recognized none of the symbols, but all of the importance - 2 of them, in particular, were sealed in a way that could only be described as "kingly."

"Thank you... I believe that shall be all. I will join you in the back once I have reviewed these thoroughly. But for now, if you don't mind, I would like some privacy. I do not believe the leaders of these territories would want me to share their thoughts so openly."

"I do declare," said the overwhelmed barman as he walked away, mopping the sweat from his brow. Smiling, the traveler chuckled to himself. Poor guy... he probably felt lucky whenever the local count came by, and only heard about other kings from passing merchants. Returning to the task at hand, he carefully openned and read over each missive and set about drafting his replies, curiously wondering if any more were potentially already in transit.

(out of character)

I did want to thank you all for the unexpectedly enthusiastic welcome.

As a reply to the gracious Duke Nicholas, I would offer up the following:

I am most definitely interested in establishing a Cartographer's Guild, down the road with this character and wouldn't mind discussing it with you once my character is more settled in. I shall definitely endeavour to check out the Office of Surveyors which you refer to.

I would like to clearly point out, however, that the maps I am refering to are in-game ones; while I am genuinely proficient with writing descriptions (as you can plainly tell,) my *ahem* actual talents at drawing are not that strong. The concept I have, however, is to both offer in-game maps, but to also provide a combination of screenshots/journals with co-ords for anything that is discovered along the way (both in terms of landmarks but also keeping in mind areas that could provide suitable for future development.)

In terms of 'special skills,' that is a little trickier to answer. The above concept aside, I am not the strongest solo builder; while I can build simple structures on my own, my construction contributions are better done by assisting others with more complex projects (I follow directions really well.) Between mapping/writing contracts, I am more than willing to offer my help with any larger projects.

As for 'conflicts over land', I will say that, by the nature of my character's inclination to exploring the world, if there was someplace he wished to settle but that another person was interested in it as well, I would discuss it with them. Likely, the discussion would include if I had seen anywhere else in the vicinity that might suit their needs. I am a fairly flexible person IRL when it comes down to it - anything is adaptable, given the right approach. (And no, I'm not particular to any biomes, per se.)

With regards to other builds, I am able to provide some samples of work I have been involved with:

This was one of my solo builds, a WIP within a MC Realm (now defunct) where I was building a fort within an island hill. The hill itself became part of it, with a network of passages and rooms, linking to a cave system below it.
http://puu.sh/jykq0/23c185fb61.jpg
http://puu.sh/jyki5/5e76301bf6.jpg

The following shows a tandem build that my partner and I are creating - a village ((including numerous different shops)) and university ((Seen in the background in the first image)) that we designed from scratch.
http://puu.sh/jykGF/33af9fbbfb.jpg
http://puu.sh/jykHQ/4f188c4f00.jpg
http://puu.sh/jykJq/bbc0f13506.jpg
http://puu.sh/jykKL/6fd99c89b0.jpg

Cartographer / Explorer / User of Big Words