All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Athlaeos' application
PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 7:35 pm 
Settler

Greetings, my name's Athlaeos (people often find it hard to pronounce it, "aeth-lay-ös") derived of the ancient gods of Wisdom/rationality, Mercy/violenceless, and Nature(or rather its perseverence), three things that I value in human behaviour/mentality. The reason I'd like to join this realm is because I found it hard to find a new home after my last one was removed, losing a few comrades in the process. I've visited dozens of realms trying to find one to fit the hole where my old home used to be, but none of them felt quite right. Roleplaying realms have interested me for a while now, but they are quite scarce. I'm entirely new when it comes to roleplay, so that's why this "milder roleplay" appeals more to me. I am very interested in story and lore, and I've tried writing some of it before! I found this server via reddit, something that's survival based as opposed to faction based.

My goals in Hermertia.. I suppose I really enjoy building, but I've been doing so much of the stuff that I'm getting tired of big projects in survival. So building my own kingdoms or towns wouldn't be enjoyable for me personally. I'm also not really the type to be trading or exploring(as a job), and history is difficult for me. I hope I wouldn't be bother if I were to have a different occupation? I love researching things and the idea of magic/fantasy, perhaps that could be an option?

4. Tell us about any skills or talents that you would like to employ in Hermertia. Are you skilled in redstone engineering? Do you like to farm? Do you have an eye for building? Let us know about anything you want to mention but haven’t yet; it will help us – and especially prospective lieges - learn more about you. Including any past pictures of builds here is helpful too.

I love building things, but as I said before, I likely won't be working on huge projects. I do think I'm pretty good at it, but not nearly as talented as someone like Jeracraft. I'm pretty goodish at redstone, I know the basics, but my biggest problems with redstone is that the things I build are lacking compactness, and not lag friendly on a massive scale. I'll upload an image of the map I currently have for Jeracraft's building competition, it's not finished, but I like to think it looks good so far.

5. Tell us your thoughts on some early lore. Your lore is, in effect, your backstory: when your character arrives in Hermertia, he or she will need a past. This doesn't need to be perfect or complete by any means, but sharing with us the beginnings of some lore that is both interesting and compatible with our own lore is a sure way to round out an impressive application.

As for lore, I'll be speaking in character now.
I'm Athlaeos, human(-ish), and was born in the end, in a large castle on a floating Island, hundreds of kilometers away from the dragon's nest and main land. My parents fled away from it when the dragon became enraged at their sudden appearance, they did not anticipate armour-melting purple fires excreted from the dragon's breath, which wounded them quite a lot. Anyways, they barely escaped. Since the portal was gone, they had to flee through a gateway which they didn't know what it was or how it was there, it was very high up, so they had to use some of the spare ender Pearls they had left. And luckily it worked. They escaped the dragon, but faced a huge landscape of floating islands, stange purple plants, and hundreds of endermen. Years later their newly built kingdom was finished, and I was born after that. Strangely, the End's atmosphere tampered with my skin and bodily features. As if I was partially dragonlike. I don't know what I am, but whatever it was, my parents were detrought with it. They speculate it had something to do with the dragon's breath tearing deep into their skin.
I didn't quite get to meet a lot of people to say the least, concidering my parents were the only ones there. To me it felt normal, regular, the way it's supposed to be. But I Always had a feeling that I was lacking something.
I was around 16 years old when a dragon's cry echod through the end, shaking the ground. My parents were terrified for days, but nothing happened in the meantime. There were no sounds, as opposed to the occasional roar we used to hear. Eventually they decided we should check if the dragon was still even there, but it wasn't. The dragon was gone, and the portal was there. We were free. When we jumped through, I was nearly blinded with the sun's light, I was baffled, my parents told me everything there was to know about the overworld, but I didn't anticipate that. I've never felt so excited before. But not for long, many people in the overworld concidered me a freak. It was hard to get a proper job. I sort of left this civilisation to live on my own, but this time without my parents, who experienced difficulty letting me go.
Anyways, my years in the End gave me plenty of time to think about things. I became a philosopher(writer) for a few years in the overworld. One thing I found was quite notable about the overworld's population in the time that I was there was the amount of cultures it had. I found that fascinating, I've never come into contact with such cultures and "religions". Anyways, I wanted to learn about this weird universe we live in, which is what I do to the present day. I'm 18 years old at the moment of this being written.

I regularly use discord and am willing to have voice chats.

Last edited by Athlaeos on August 29th, 2017, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 7:36 pm 
Settler

Sorry for its length, by the way. I'm not sure what the customary length is for such applications.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 7:39 pm 
Settler

Also, the size of the screenshot I wanted to upload was too large. I can try to upload it again in lower quality if needed.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 8:05 pm 
Count

It looks like a great start! As long as it is good quality (and this is) length isn't really a concern. It might even be a positive! You could try uploading the screenshot to an image-sharing service like imgur or something similar.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 8:14 pm 
Settler

http://imgur.com/0Kdup6p Here's the thingy I'm currently working on (keep in mind this is in creative mode and I have access to worldedit)

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 9:16 pm 
King

Imgur will resize your images no problem, we almost always link to imgur instead of uploading to the site directly :)

Welcome! Great application and phenomenally creative and interesting build you have up there, I am thoroughly enamoured by it's sheer elegance and that you designed it and made it ( regardless of world building edit help) is highly impressive. I like your take on your character's origin story, was their second Kingdom that was built after the initial kingdom just your parents and you or did I read that wrong? It's been a long day!

Most of the RP we do is pretty text based and theres no obligation to do so, so this is in deed the server for you for lighter and more hands off approach to characterisation and RP. The world building is the more prominent aspect of the servers draw to most players.

Be sure to continually check this and I'll see you in discord later tonight when I'm online.

Questions:
- Have you read and understood the Liege/Vassal System? If you havee any questions let us know!
- What is your favourite Star constellation?
- You say you wont be building anything huge, are you ok with a small hamlet or tiny village or something like that for you and any people you might wish to have live within your area as designated by your liege ?

Also start thinking about a crest design, the ones that we have on the forums, we can have one made for you if you have a rough idea!

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 9:51 pm 
Settler

Samyrrah Almandine wrote:
Imgur will resize your images no problem, we almost always link to imgur instead of uploading to the site directly :)

Welcome! Great application and phenomenally creative and interesting build you have up there, I am thoroughly enamoured by it's sheer elegance and that you designed it and made it ( regardless of world building edit help) is highly impressive. I like your take on your character's origin story, was their second Kingdom that was built after the initial kingdom just your parents and you or did I read that wrong? It's been a long day!

Most of the RP we do is pretty text based and theres no obligation to do so, so this is in deed the server for you for lighter and more hands off approach to characterisation and RP. The world building is the more prominent aspect of the servers draw to most players.

Be sure to continually check this and I'll see you in discord later tonight when I'm online.

Questions:
- Have you read and understood the Liege/Vassal System? If you havee any questions let us know!
- What is your favourite Star constellation?
- You say you wont be building anything huge, are you ok with a small hamlet or tiny village or something like that for you and any people you might wish to have live within your area as designated by your liege ?

I should not really have called my parent's castle a kingdom concidering there was really only the 3 of us. I chose a castle because I have also designed and built quite a large end-fantasy-themed fortress a few weeks ago, so I figured it would fit.

As for your three questions:
Concidering english is not my primary language(Dutch is my 1st language) I quickly had to google what the terms vassal and liege meant. I have read the forum post on it and I think I understand it sufficiently, though I'm certainly going to have to get used to this system.

Favourite star constellation? Geez, there are so many to choose from. Constellations are really just connect-the-dots games in the sky and let your imagination do the rest. But if I had to choose I would pick Centaur, because the α/β/proxima centauri system is part of that constellation, and I feel like that could be humanity's first interstellar destination, our next journey, and I think that has something beautiful about it.

And yes, I would be okay with building a small/medium-sized town. On previous occasions I took on projects survival mode servers that were really just far too much work for a single man who also spends 75% of his time on school and rest(such as transforming an entire mountain biome into a custom end-fantasy biome in which the previously mentioned fortress was located), and sadly that really just exhausted me.

http://imgur.com/RsDpNo1 <-- link to that fortress if interested

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 12:12 am 
Duke

I'm really liking your application so far! The screenshots are pretty cool so far too. Do you have any of some smaller builds?

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 12:30 am 
King

After speaking to you, and your replies, I'd like to give you my vote, after I see your house or some kind of normal building in creative! :)

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 3:45 am 
Settler

I like everything about your application! I love your builds, and your lore! I cant vote for you as im only a vassal, but I hope that you get all the votes you need!