All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 1:42 am 
Applicant

INTRODUCTION
Hello! My name is YetAnotherTroper ("Troper" for short). This server first caught my eye in a post to the /r/worldbuilding subreddit. As a huge fan of fantasy and an amateur medievalist, this style of history-heavy roleplaying server greatly appeals to me. I'm not usually one for multiplayer, but as of late I've been wanting to try something new, and this looks ideal. From what little I've seen, the community is excellent, and the premise sounds extremely fun.

GOALS
Generally, on roleplaying servers I really like to play "nomad"-type characters who travel a lot and never settle anywhere permanently. The archetype of the intrepid, versatile hired-hand is one of my favorite character types. However, I am open to other opportunities whenever they come up, and I acknowledge that I will have to put down roots eventually. Ultimately, my end goal will be decided by which opportunities are available. (Maybe I'll settle down and build an inn or something.)

SKILLS
I have been playing Minecraft for over four years (since Version 1.3, in fact); as such, I have acquired a number of skills that could potentially be useful. About the only thing I can't really do is high-detail building; an architect or artist I most certainly am not. (Unfortunately I have no extant builds to show you; I must ask that you take it on faith that I am a terrible builder. I am trying to learn, though.) Most of my skills pertain to crafting and travel; I can also design simple redstone mechanisms, given enough time (and the freedom to completely tear up the floor to lay down the wires). I have a little bit of experience in enchanting and potion brewing, and I am a moderately competent fighter.

BIOGRAPHY
My character, Thomas Blacktongue (he goes by Tom), hails from the distant continent of Aethia, where he worked as a farrier's apprentice until the Aethian Civil War forced him to relocate. His mother died when he was very young, and his father was killed during the Siege of Houndsmoor. Now a 23-year-old traveling to the land of Hermertia, he seeks to establish himself in this new land, and to find work wherever it can be found. During his life, he has traveled far and seen much; it could be said that his only homes are the open road, the horse's saddle, and the deck of a ship. He is no stranger to hard work, nor to poverty, nor to violence. He is not especially religious. He is largely a stranger to Hermertia; his only real knowledge of the place consists only of what he's heard.

Last edited by YetAnotherTroper on October 13th, 2016, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 1:51 am 

Welcome to the Mercurian Empire! I'm glad you enjoyed the post I made on /r/worldbuilding!

I love the lore you've written here. It takes all types to make this wonderful server of ours run. Bad builder you say? No way! You can always improve. Nevermind that, it's not an issue. Great lore-writing is the way to any Hermertian's heart.

I've a few questions for you at first:

* What is your minecraft user name?

* If you had to pick a few biomes to build in, which would you choose?

* Our system relies on a liege-vassal system. Have you read our FAQ to understand how this system works?

I look forward to your responses!

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 1:58 am 
King

Welcome there!

I can change your forum name when you finalise your lore, so that your name will appear as whatever you like, just make a request!

Welcome to Hermertia! We love new players. Glad to see our posts are appreciated and enjoyed!

I like the beginnings of your lore, with your travelling character a rather unique and interesting premise. Developing that lore will be an interesting exercise, there's no rush of course, you can get accepted before that and then develop it as you go!

We've got a lot of awesome players, with a Discord Channel for voice chatting which we do when we play together every night!

Couple of questions, although I'm very pleased with your application so far:

- What would you do if you had a territory dispute where it was contested?
- What would you feasibly make when you settle down at some point?

Youll get my vote very soon, ill just check your answers before. Keep checking this post multiple times a day!

- Samyrrah

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 2:28 am 
Applicant

The answers, in order:

- My Minecraft name is YetAnotherTroper, same as my forum username.

- It really depends on what I'm building, but I generally prefer fairly deep forests. I'm also partial to rivers. I'll build in any biome if necessary, though.

- I am aware of the vassal system (though I'm curious why you left out the rank of Baron when having a township-level governor would give the system more flexibility and take some of the load off the Counts).

- I presume you mean if someone else wants to build on the same spot as me. Generally I'll just move somewhere else; it's not as though there's any shortage of space in the Minecraft world. If I can't build somewhere else (for instance, if I'm trying to find space inside the walls of a city), then I'll generally contact a local official and see if they can help mediate the dispute.

- I was thinking something like a roadside traveller's inn, but again it depends on what is feasible/necessary/convenient.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 2:49 am 

I can't answer the question about the origin of the titles of Hermertia's vassal system, but I don't think it was meant to 100% match up with the IRL titles at all. Matter of fact, many realms have their own system of ranks/titles!

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 2:57 am 
Duke

Greetings,

Welcome to the Mercurian Empire! Your lore is off to a good start and your responses to the above questions are great. I cannot wait to see what comes out of your application, Thomas!

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 2:58 am 
King

Sounds good to me.

You'll receive offers after you get all the votes required to get in ( which usually come fairly quickly, keep checking this thread! each day!) You need 4/6 Kings, or 3/6 Kings with 60% of the Dukes vote.

I'm sure we can ask The Regent when he's around as to why we didnt have Baron, there's so much history to this server!

There is so much to explore so you'll have an awesome time on this server, I havent even explored all of the New World and I've been playing for years, let alone the Old World!

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 4:10 am 
Count

Seems like an excellent application so far! I have confidence that you'll make it through to the server fairly soon!

I enjoy your idea of a nomad. I don't quite see it working out as completely nomadic but a very small settlement wherever you are for the time being would be amazing! Have some small camps around any kingdom would add great flavor!

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 4:31 am 

Yeah a base to stay in, but being a wandering builder is the play style of many!

PostPosted: October 13th, 2016, 9:30 am 
King

Greetings, Your application is very well done, and I have just one question for you, what are your long term goals on the server, i.e. do you plan on remaining under a liege indefinitely or creating your own realm later on down the line?

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741