All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Maximus's Application
PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 4:51 pm 
Applicant

Hello, Hermertians. I wish to become a citizen of Hermertia. I offer my services as a redstone engineer. I'm still an apprentice of this field, but I am learning quickly. I have had the wonderful opportunity to travel to see some of the world's most complex computation machines, built by master redstone smiths. I've even had the pleasure to program, at a very high level, some of these machines. One of the greatest sources of my fascination for redstone engineering comes from the iron golem. This creature is driven by a miniature redstone computer.

I come from a land far from here called the Crystal City. It is in a desert, stripped of its sand, where in the name of modernism the buildings tower into the blue sky, sparkling in the sun with their immense quantities of glass. It is a beautiful city but uses a disgusting amount of imported water to feed its green lawns. It is for the rich, and I am by no means rich, but I lived there for several years, learning the craft of redstone. I left the Crystal City for a new home, such as Hermertia, because I believe in keeping the environment clean, and I wish to shape redstone in the name of the earth from whence it comes.

Before living in Crystal City I was a vagabond among a small group of other wanderers. We lived off the land, camping, trapping, fishing, never staying long enough in one spot to build much more than a watchtower or a shelter carved into the side of a mountain. It was a nice life but I began having ambitious visions when I traded a rabbit hide for a pouch of redstone, and when I started experimenting with it. I promptly left my vagabond family in search of a redstone education.

I learned to program pre-built computers before even touching redstone dust myself. I've programmed in behaviors of iron golems, but I hadn't created from scratch simple logic gates; however I am just now getting into this, which is why I call myself a novice. I hope that as I experiment and learn more about building my own computers from redstone, my services will be valuable to the Mercurian Empire.

---

Hello! I'm Max, I'm 18, and here are some facts about me. Here is a past Minecraft build:

I've been playing Minecraft since beta 1.6.6.

I like computer programming (with Java and C++) and you can see some of my games here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing.

I've worked on collaborative projects before (e.g., a Nether-hub, an endermen farm), and I'm excited to become a part of Hermertia!

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 6:04 pm 
King

Hello Maximus! Welcome to Hermertia.

I am the ruler of Dawnstar, most recent member of the council of the crowned.

We've got the usual bunch of questions for you, be sure to keep checking this application everyday!

Where did you find out about our server ? we're always interested to see where we get viewed.

Have you played minecraft for long? You seem pretty clued in so far which is great!

Would be amazing to set up a sector In a city or make an entire settlement somewhere dedicated to Redstone understanding and learning and experimentation.

You've got a lot of opportunities to make some some integrated lore with existing people on the server, there's an ancient secretive order known as the Redstone Order, although their members are notoriously secretive. Septimus has recently become religious and reveres the great Golem, perhaps the work of programmers and academics in Redstone is heretical or divinely purposed.

There are infinite possibilities ! Please ask anything and we will answer. We Love New people!

You've got a lot of potential. I'll be checking to see your replies to everyone else and you'll be getting my vote most likely very quickly. Impressed!

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 6:07 pm 

Welcome to the Mercurian Empire, Max!

I am Mark from the realm of Östlaed, a duchy in the east of the empire. I'm pretty new to the server as well ( about 4 months or so).

In addition to Sam's questions, I'd like to see some more screenshots of past builds, or even a current build!

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 7:55 pm 
Duke

Welcome Maximus!

Interesting history pertaining to your character's lore. I would love to see the questions above answered as well!

Can't wait to see what comes out of your application.

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 8:46 pm 
Applicant

I discovered Hermertia through a post on reddit. I've played Minecraft on and off for . . . 5 years . . .

At least compared with those of some of the kingdoms I've seen in Hermertia, I am not a great builder, but more a survivor. Nevertheless, I would love to try my hand at building a sect for the experimentation of redstone. Such a place could eventually abound with fun and functional contraptions.

I am curious about this Redstone Order. Since my aspiration is to become a great redstone engineer, I feel compelled to pursue that realm of redstone: the mystical, and not just the logical. Redstone is wondrous in that on the high level it is predictable, its utilities mappable, yet there is so much we don't understand about it; there are so many qualities (where does its power come from?) that scientists are only beginning to grasp. The Redstone Order must guard some of this knowledge, descended from ancients and hitherto unknown by modern science.

In my travels I have come across one rumor about the nature of redstone: that it is the centerpiece of a program, a program as vast as our world, that is calculating something. Yes, it is believed by some (or at least it's an old wives' tale) that our world is a computational program. I, for one, do not believe it; it is, anyway, too vague to mean much of anything. But there may be some truth in it that the Redstone Order could surely illuminate.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 9:01 pm 

I do love how much you are working your lore into redstone and vice-versa. That's pretty awesome.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 10:59 pm 
Duke

You're builds seem to have a nice homey feeling. As Mark said, the way you are working redstone into your lore is really good and creative.

A few questions of my own:

What is your favorite biome to build in?

Do you have any long term plans (become independent, etc?)

Do you have any of your own questions as well?

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 11:09 pm 
Count

Hey Maximus,
your application looks great. I also like your attempt to include redstone into your builds.

I myself love to build redstone contraptions up to the point where the server crashes because of them. ^^

One of my current builds is an underground city surrounded by redstone contraptions from Item Sorter for every item in the game to a double witch farm. If your application is going to be successfull, I would love to show you around and exchange ideas about additional usefull or not usefull contraptions.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 11:29 pm 
King

I would like to give you your first Royal Vote, you need 60% of Active Kings, which at the moment is 4 out of 6, or 3 out of 6 if the Dukes pass a bill for you to get on the server also!

Good luck with the rest of the votes, ill be shouting at people in our Voice Chat program to get on and check your application. Keep checking back!

We always chat when we play, are you ok with voice chat?

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 7:03 pm 
Applicant

Thank you Samyrrah for the heartening vote! I hope to continue to show worth to the royalties and amass enough votes. Roglar, I am happy to have made a connection to another redstone engineer, and I would love to take you up on your invitation. I'm sure we can collaborate to design great works of redstone-sprinkled automatons. Your city sounds like a dream utopia; amazing that you're attempting it!

My favorite biome to build in is the desert, or the mesa, because I like the flatness, which enables one to see far into the distance wherever one might be, and I like the sparse vegetation of cactus, a beautiful plant. Also, I love cooling off in oasis waters at the end of a torrid day.

Politics are not my thing, and I am much more oriented toward my research, experiments, and scientific inquiry, and so whether I work in a kingdom or in my own land is of small consequence to me. I imagine I will come to enjoy the funding, support, and companionship of my liege, but anything is possible.

Yes, I am okay with voice chat. One question I have is, how active is the server usually?