All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 11:30 pm 
King

Dearest Allies and People of Hermertia,

It is with both joy and grief that I write you today. At approximately 4 am last evening, my father, Arjen III, succumbed to death's enticing call. He will be greeted at the pearly gates of Ert's magnificent temple with much celebration.

My father was an interesting man. While he was always interested in the business of other great nations, he never seemed to want to become involved with their comings and goings. As such, our great Kingdom grew more isolated as each year of his reign passed. I advised him to change this policy, but after his 50th year he only seemed content with staying within Ertia's vast borders.

This is not to say that my father did not do many wonderful things for our Kingdom. In particular, the vast city of Amora and the new settlement Whitestone Harbor were both planned and developed by he and his good friend Duke Atryl Rua of Fichina. I believe that these will grow to become incredible assets for both Ertia and Fichina in time. I know that he will have wanted me to dedicate myself to the growth of both cities. However, initially, my efforts will be dedicated elsewhere. Specifically in the rapidly developing nation of Wysteria. I plan on once again opening up Ertia to the outside world and helping make the Empire that much more connected in the process.

So, have a drink in my father's name this evening. Ponder his many wonderful achievements and the many years of prosperity his subjects saw beneath his rule. In the morning Ertia begins a new era. One in which we dedicate ourselves to the betterment of the Empire!

For Glory!

King Arjen IV

of River's End

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 11:59 pm 
King

Dawnstar is locked in deep snows at this time of year, ice hangs upon windows and our breath is stolen away from us with each gasp in the frigid air. Yet, each day the snow abates a small amount, each day the cold is less biting, and soon it will be Spring time again.

Spring will arrive for your people once again, flourishing and arising from the deep snows of yesteryear. You have the full support of House Almandine.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 2:08 am 
King

Thank you for those extremely kind and poetic words, Duchess. My father always spoke of you with such high regard and, despite his seclusion towards the end of his life, considered you one of his strongest allies and greatest friends. I do hope my reign will see that continue.

of River's End

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 2:54 am 
Settler

Horatio lethargically lay down the notice upon the guild council's table and passively stared at its rough, wooden surface. The look on his face was one that the understudy had never seen before. His mentor was never very good as expressing his emotions, but nor was he that good at hiding them. But this... it seemed easier to see the heart of a forest from the outside than to know what was going through his mind.

"Sir? What does it say? What is the king's request?", said the pupil, inflecting hope into his tone as if that alone would lighten the mood.

"I fear, my friend, that our king will never make another request of us, ever again," spoke the guildmaster, his voice wavering momentarily.

"What?! Does he mean to disband us? Who will watch over the island, or the port? We have been nothing but...." came the excited reply, too hastily filled with anger, before being stopped by a raised hand.

"Our King is dead. Arjen the third has passed from this plane, leaving behind his son as successor. Though there was a time when I did not see him for many years, with the building of the southern harbor we had recently reconnected. It was to him that I pledged myself when I first came to Hermertia and as such he is responsible for starting the work that we have undertaken here and abroad." Though he had regained control of his voice, the pupil could see now the sadness in Horatio's eyes. "I shall miss him."

"I see... Shall I pass on word to the others, sir?"

"Please, though I shall inform the townsfolk of Port Burwell myself. I have not met Arjen IV yet, but no doubt that will happen in due time. For now, I shall draft a reply from us reaffirming our loyalty to our new liege. And let everyone know - I want the construction on the towers finished by the end of the week, if not sooner. In his honour, I want the banners flying as high as we can put them." Picking up a nearby quill and parchment, the guildmaster nodded to his apprentice. "Be quick about it, or I'll have you travelling the nether to deliver this - on foot!"

Nodding his head, the pupil silently left the room, leaving Horatio alone with his thoughts and the official notice. Rising from his seat, he looked out the council chambers' windows at the fading light of the sun setting in the distance, as it had done countless times before. Only today, the light of the world seemed a little dimmer than before...

Cartographer / Explorer / User of Big Words