All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Biakko
PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 6:07 pm 
Count

449th year of the emperor, Chester-le-Ford

In twenty three years of practice as a healer, Mr Collins was never involved in such a situation. As a matter of fact, he really wishes he still wasn’t at the moment, but there is no way out now.

The room feels stuffy, hot and quite humid despite the desertic winds sweeping through the rest of the small settlement. The closed windows prevent proper air circulation, and a couple of flies go back and forth between abandoned trays of barely touched food littering the floor and the bed’s occupant, an emaciated woman drenched in sweat. From time to time, she coughs, moans, rambles weakly about imperial assassin ghasts and what not, then falls immobile and silent again.

Mr Collins sits near the gruesome bed, silently staring at the patient. He is well aware that his face, faintly illuminated by a candle, betrays the complex emotional turmoil he is subject to. Whenever he tries to hide his fear and shame, his hands fidget uncontrollably with whatever they find, which currently is a small vial labelled “Mrs Biakko O’Kleefe, MEDICINE, drink one measure diluted in beverage, twice a day.

Near the door, the young lady seems incredibly calm, almost at ease, sitting gracefully at a small writing desk in a cushioned chair. Never before he’d met someone so driven by ambition that they barely seemed human at all. Oh he’d seen her show other emotions all right. It’s just that normally, people had a transition between emotions, they didn’t go from warm smiles and friendly words to cold, neutral, calculating eyes and… and that proposal… He’d been so shocked when she announced her intentions to him, in such a detached way, like this was just business.

He didn’t have much choice either, the girl has the whole settlement eating out of her hand, he’d have been dead before the morning had he refused. And the promised reward is… well... he'd never dreamed of anything like that.

The patient stirs again.

...hhhhggh... ghast..grlg…

He shudders, then regains his composure, well aware that his face was, once again, showing all his terror, shame and greed. The young lady looks up from the letter she was writing, then meaningfully shakes her head toward the patient.

Mr Collins represses a sigh, grabs the candle holder from the bedside, and reluctantly opens the patient’s left eye. He approaches the candle a bit and looks into the eye. It is glassy, bloodshot and rolls slowly backward. The final result of years of taking his… his "medicine".

She barely even reacts anymore. It won’t be much longer, my lady. Hours at most.

Splendid, Mr Collins. You may go and see that everything is going well in the stables now.

The scratching of her fountain pen on the paper resumes, he has been dismissed. Wearily, he gets up and walks to the door. With shaky hands, he turns the knob and exits.

Deep inside, he knows that this will never be done. Even if he refused payment, even if he moved away, he will live the rest of his life knowing what he did. Once more, he suppresses his thoughts. It is far too late to go back now.

He steps into the night and walks toward the stables.

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

Post subject: Re: Biakko
PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 6:44 pm 
King

I'll refer you to the letter I have sent (in another thread), but once again, this news is harrowing and sorrowful to hear and for the people close to Biakko. I just hope that the daughter, Miss Liserett is strong enough to continue her mother's legacy and sterling reputation.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 6:48 pm 
Count

She certainly thinks she is =)

I have appointments for wedding preparations tonight, but I'll come online maybe tomorrow night =P

PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 7:27 pm 
Duke

Um Sam did you read the above? (Seems some sort of poison was involved slowly killing Biakko?)

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 7:32 pm 
Count

Gimpy III wrote:
Um Sam did you read the above? (Seems some sort of poison was involved slowly killing Biakko?)

Aaah, but you don't know that now, do you? <3

PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 7:38 pm 
Duke

I don't know that, but definitely a sinister tone ;) I was more commenting on the fact that Sam didn't notice that :P

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 7:43 pm 
Count

I'm sure he did, I think he probably replied semi in character.

Writing that sorta pumped me into playing again, it's not too soon to get out of my rut! =D

PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 11:04 pm 
King

I always reply in character to these things as we all should :P

I dont think we'd know about that from our characters point of view so yeah. Sinister though.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 12:22 am 
Duke

But then why reply in character here? if it's something you wouldn't know about no need to reply. Just strange ya know

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 12:51 am 
King

well, we'd hear some news like Biakko has fallen ill and has passed on at some point in the Imperial Court, or messages from traders or couriers etc. Im not just gonna post " oh that sucks for your character" its more meaningful to be in character :)