All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: As the shadows crept in
PostPosted: July 4th, 2015, 11:58 pm 
King

There were many duties to attend to as the Crown Prince of Pyrencia. Varahein had to meet with dignitaries (Not that there were many visitors to the southernmost kingdom anyways). He had his studies to attend to, physical training as well. Countless hours with bow and sword in the courtyard of Castle Edhevrand had made Varahein as fast and strong with his body as he was with his mind. As the oldest child of King Vorstaed, and heir to the throne, he was also responsible for maintaining the Capital Duchy of Edrenan while his father was away or busy. Varahein's sister Anastasia oversaw the duchy of Cerebal, which used to belong to Duchess Celestine, before she absconded to watch over Isilioth after the departure of that kingdoms ruler. Varahein's brother Nathaniel was in charge of Calarin, which was a much... more pleasant duchy to spend time in. Warm waters, sunny skies... much better then this frozen island Varahein was trapped on. Count Barath Mur was off working in the new duchy of Sorel, and Count Theron rarely left the Bleak Cliff. So there was no one interesting or important for Varahein to talk to even.
He mused all this to himself as he walked down the castle corridor to his father's sanctum. Only members of the royal bloodline were permitted to enter, so of course it was up to Varahein to fetch King Vorstaed when he forgot to come to dinner. The King had been reclusive when at home for several years now, Varahein could barely remember anything different. But then, Varahein often had trouble remembering anything from the time Mother was alive. The healers said that it was his mind's way of coping with the grief, but Varahein almost never felt sad or grieving about the loss of his mother, it was too long ago. But then, that just might mean his mind was doing a good job of coping.
Most days Varahein just wished he could hole up in the Vault of Stories, and read the tomes of Pyrencian History, or the sparse books on the subjects of other nations. But no, he was the crown prince and must present himself before the nation whenever possible. Or so his father claimed.
Varahein reached the old oak door that stood between him and his father, and suddenly felt a strange sense of foreboding. He slowly opened the door to find... darkness. That was strange, King Vorstaed kept dozens of candles burning in his Sanctum at all times. Varahein grabbed a torch off the wall and slowly walked into the room. In the center he saw a puddle of wax where apparently the largest candle in the room, the one kept in the middle, obviously, had run down completely. Next to it, on a small stool there was a piece of paper with some writing on it. Varahein walked towards the stool and picked up the paper. He held it close to the torch, so he could make out the writing, and read,

As the shadows creep in, I wonder how can I continue
As the shadows creep in, I wonder should I even try
As the shadows creep in, I stare out this blurry window
As the shadows creep in, I wish that I could cry
As the shadows creep in, I feel the darkness deep inside me
As the shadows creep in, I grope blindly for the light
As the shadows creep in, I look around for a sign of life
As the shadows creep in, I slowly give up the fight
As the shadows creep in, I remember all my failures
As the shadows creep in, I long for what I’ve never known
As the shadows creep in, I think of what I should have done
As the shadows creep in, I ask if my chance is truly blown
As the shadows creep in, I remember those I left
Those I’ve lost, those I failed, and the ones who got a way
As the shadows creep in, I wonder what could I have done
As the shadows creep in, I imagine all the lives that I could have made
As the shadows creep in, I wonder should I light another candle
As the shadows creep in, I watch the last one die

Varahein slowly looked up in horror, and saw, for the first time, a glint of metal in the back of the room. He walked up to it, and screamed. He heard members of the Order of the Flaming Sword shouting outside, but he could not look away from his fathers body kneeling, with his own sword shoved into his heart.

A week later, he found himself standing in front of the Priest of Azarn, and felt the wieght of gold as the royal crown sat on his head. Eventually the captain of his royal guard, the current IgnisBlade, had to come lead him away, just as he had done the night Varahein had found his father. Two days later, Varahein found the strength to speak again. Three days after that, he began running the kingdom. A week further, and he could barely remember life when his father was still alive.

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: July 5th, 2015, 3:08 am 
Duke

*airhorn of mourning*

PostPosted: July 6th, 2015, 12:50 am 
King

Ave, ally.

A long and illustrious life, your father led. His passing marks the transition between first generation of Kingly rulers of Pyrencia, and now that burden, duty and privilege is yours now.

We are saddened to hear of his death, we in Perth are unsure if it was his will, crazed by old age or inner deamons, or a tradition for Pyrencians to leave this mortal plane by such a method.

You seem to be coping well and are marching onwards, not languishing in the past.

Heres to a prosperous reign, new King Vanahein of Pyrencia, the People of Perth look forward to hearing from you.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2015, 3:20 pm 
Duke

My condolences to the families of Pyrencia. The lands under my protection, and certainly all throughout Valtoros, grieve with you.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2015, 3:42 pm 
Duke

It is with great grief I receive this message, the first king of Pyrencia was of the noble and just. He will be missed, your allies in Kaine will forever remember the visits of Vorstaed. I wish we could have chatted one last time before his death but alas not every wish can be granted. I'm sure you'll do as well if not become an even greater king Varahein. I wish you luck and glory and should you ever wish to speak or visit please do.
With love, Kati.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine