All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 8:11 am 

History:

The Order of Sanct Creopbaina is an organized religious organization that grew out of the influence of Valyrian Creeperism on Östron mythology. It originates with tribes of Mercurians who facilitated trade between the classical Mercurian Kingdoms and the Dwarven lords of the old empire. The proto-Östrons worshipped a variety of nature spirits, including the destructive creeper. A cultural exchange that occurred when many Östron nobles were exiled to Perth during the war of the Chaos Orc introduced elements of Valyrian Creeperism, and thus the adoption of almost exclusive Creeper worship within the Östron mythology at this time.

The Östron people did not belong to any single realm in Old Hermertia. The same became true after their immigration to New Hermertia. They had very little power within the Mercurian Empire. Without any nobles, they were but vassals of other realms. Many Östrons settled in the capital of the empire on the Imperial Isle, as well areas around the Östsee (Imperial Sea). The desire for increased power and representation lead to the founding a monastic order with the goal of furthering the power and wealth of a wealthy trader class of Östrons in Mt. Empire and Aestham. Monasteries, universities, and castles - usually all in one - were built in some areas.

In the current day, there exists a handful of monasteries that are playing an ever more important role in the solution to the Östron question. The order has concerned itself less and less with religious matters - not that there isn't worship, for their certainly is. Rather, the activities of each particular monastery and each particular temple have oriented themselves towards the binding of the Östron community. Many within the Östron communities feel that the service of the Knights of the Order of Sanct Creopbaina have demonstrated service that earns them their own land, and their own titles.

Spirits

The Order of Sanct Creopbaina is devoted to the worship of the spirit of the Creepers, with certain fundamentalist elements calling for Östrons to only worship Creeper spirits.

Creation Myth

There is no specific creation myth according to the Order, however, fundamentalist elements maintain that it was done by a great creeper spirit through the destruction of the previous universe.

Sacrifice

A relic from ancient times, the sacrifice of a powerful steed is practiced once a Mercannum, The death is accomplished via a great bonfire, where the horse is burned alive.

Death Rites

Following the ancient traditions of the Östron people and their mythology, burial in the forest under a sapling is the most common form. Dark Oak is most sacred, however, any tree is acceptable.

Festivals

Few remember all of the Östron religious festivals - even many monks, after years of consumption of Östron strong beer, don't remember them all! The most important festivals occur with the start of each season, and involve week long feasts, sacrifices, drinking, and public sexual acts

The Knights of the Order of Sanct Creopbaina

Originally these were not officially Knights (they are but peasant warriors). They were a select group of monks who have learned the more advanced arts of warfare - spell-crafting, advanced metallurgy, horse-warfare, and tactics. Their official duty was to protect Östron communities from the monsters and bandits of the wilderness. After the founding of Östlaed, they became the highest ranking members of the Östronweard.

Last edited by Cerdic Accynnafon on October 27th, 2016, 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 1:28 pm 
Duke

Great lore as always! Those Östron festivals sound like a hell of a good time!

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 10:05 pm 
King

I like it Mark! You did a good job blending the religious ideas together while still keeping your separate branch of Creeperism. I couldn't have explained it any better myself. I would like to discuss some future ideas with you once everything is back up and running (i.e. library).

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 10:26 pm 

Freyr Eberhardt wrote:
I like it Mark! You did a good job blending the religious ideas together while still keeping your separate branch of Creeperism. I couldn't have explained it any better myself. I would like to discuss some future ideas with you once everything is back up and running (i.e. library).

For sure, I want it to be as close as possible, but separate enough to make the lore (separate community, seperate culture) possible so far.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2016, 1:12 am 
King

Phenomenal work Mark. Keep it up!

PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 7:37 pm 
Duke

Great details! I particularly like the emphasis on religious-cultural identity.